• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Occult Academy Sub.Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
For me it's more a dub shouldn't be a factor when reviewing a show, since it has nothing to do with the original product, directors or presentation. It's like reviewing a famous painting through someone's imitation of it.

Unless you're watching it in Japanese, you're viewing the work through an interpretation regardless of English subs or English dub.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And your point is. . .? While you're right that it could be so applied, I don't see why that's a problem.

I just want to make it clear that to me, dubs are relevant in a review, that's not the point. My point here is that, when you simply write "Not dubbed" as a footnote, it does very little more than just state the obvious. Like Mikeski said, anyone can figure that out from the title alone (hence why I said it).

What you probably meant is that, in this particular case (more so than for other sub-Only releases) a dub would have been beneficial to the product, yet it doesn't have one. It's a perfectly valid statement, but the way it was expressed here felt, to me at least, a bit generic and could be interpreted as a blanket statement on sub-only releases (the reason behind my previous post).

But like I said, it's just my take on the issue at hand, I personally have no problem with your review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Pippin4242 wrote:
Spoilers for So Ra No Wo To for anyone who hasn't seen it. That backstory stuff actually comes through as a slow drip. It would be crazy amazing if that bit could be marked as spoilers or something. It's hard enough as it is to convince people to watch it without spoilers abounding.

It won't be because that fact the Sound of the Sky is a post-apocalyptic tale (or at the very least a post-long-period-of-warfare tale) is abundantly clear from the first couple of episodes.

Exactly. It's very possible to interpret the apocalyptic stuff as being the result of a long war which shattered the economy and infrastructure of Helvetia. Part of the fun of watching So Ra No Wo To for the first time is wondering how far that's going to go - or, who knows, maybe even not getting it completely the first time. It would be spoilers to say that spoiler[the ghost at the school is Ryo's sister], even though that's perfectly obvious on a rewatch. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with your review (I can't really comment as I've never seen the show, though I am interested to know it's part of Anime no Chikara, which I was wrongly given the impression had petered out). It just seems a little odd to spoiler an almost unrelated show at the very start of the review. Or, if not spoiler in the strictest definition, make clear a core ambiguity. It'd be like saying who Saber is in Fate:Stay/Night. Sure, it's kind of obvious, especially on a rewatch, but there are a bunch of ways you could be led down a false path, or maybe you'd just be watching the show to see what happened and not trying to catch every cue, and it would take a lot of the fun out of it for you to know for sure before the end of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3