• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
jl07045, you're right. However, the humor that is in the fat of those two VNs is a different kind of humor. It's a "lighten the mood via romcom shenanigans and terrible food" kind of humor. It's a kind of humor that helps the story have a contrasting light side for all its serious darkness, but it's a kind of humor that I don't kind particularity clever or even humorous compared to most of CP (which is mostly puns, 4th wall breaking jokes, and canon and fanon things plays to the extreme for laughs).

Quote:
That was actually one of my complains about F/Z, that it is depressing even though the subject matter isn't that much darker than Heaven's Feel for example. Well, maybe that's just my bias against Urobuchi, but his stories seem to me like that.

Heh, at the Kajiura concert at AX last weekend, Kajiura said she enjoyed working on F/Z but it was such a heavy show she's glad to be working on something lighter now. Personally, I think both approaches work (HF's constrasts vs F/Z's complete seriousness), but if I had to pick, I prefer F/Z's method of execution more often.

Quote:
Bear in mind that a lot of that "chatter" consists of Nasu's own fictional metaphysics that have no relation to reality (even if he might think otherwise) and his philosophizing is different in style from Urobuchi's in any case.
Definitely true. That said, I got a fair bit of mileage out of the themes, conflicts, and philosophizing in Fate and UBW routes of F/SN. Less so out of HF route and KnK as a whole, but they were still enjoyable. They're not like F/Z, though--Urobuchi loves his moral greys and Nasu doesn't use that brush as much.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
However, the humor that is in the fat of those two VNs is a different kind of humor. It's a "lighten the mood via romcom shenanigans and terrible food" kind of humor. It's a kind of humor that helps the story have a contrasting light side for all its serious darkness...

Yes, it serves different purpose than in Carnival Phantasm, it isn't about delivering punchlines. Other than lightening mood at least some of it also helps to flesh out the characters beyond them embodying some idea or being puppets (so to speak) that drive the plot. It makes them more relatable. F/Z has little of that so the characters seem less approachable to me, exceptions being Alexander and Waver, Irisviel, that do other things beside what the plot requires. These bits are also the reason why something like Carnival Phantasm can actually be made and people connect with those jokes. They don't seem ooc.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Now that Fate/zero has wrapped up I'm really hoping that TYPE-MOON has Ufotable tackle a new Fate/Stay Night series or OVA that tackles the Heaven's Feel path. I think it would be quite fitting seeing as you see alot of what would lead into that in Fate/Zero and seeing as it's the only path of the original VN that hasn't been done(although in my opinion studio DEEN didn't do the other two paths ANY justice) I would love to see it done. Heaven's Feel just oozes the style the Ufotable seems to do so well. It's got a very dark tone like Kara No Kyoukai and tackles alot of the same themes as well.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Pace and talkativeness at times are certainly issues of this show, however, it is much better than by far most other shows in terms of not being insultingly stupid.

Considering outstanding visual arts, this show overall is definitely A-, not B+. Psychologically, A-class mark means that this is "a must watch", and it truly is.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Now that Fate/zero has wrapped up I'm really hoping that TYPE-MOON has Ufotable tackle a new Fate/Stay Night series or OVA that tackles the Heaven's Feel path. I think it would be quite fitting seeing as you see alot of what would lead into that in Fate/Zero and seeing as it's the only path of the original VN that hasn't been done(although in my opinion studio DEEN didn't do the other two paths ANY justice) I would love to see it done. Heaven's Feel just oozes the style the Ufotable seems to do so well. It's got a very dark tone like Kara No Kyoukai and tackles alot of the same themes as well.

Yes, but Saber don't get a very satisfying conclusion in HF nor dose Gilgamesh.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Yes, but Saber don't get a very satisfying conclusion in HF nor dose Gilgamesh.

Vague spoilers for the Heaven's Feel route, but... spoiler[I felt that Saber's conclusion, while depressing and cruel, was done fittingly with the atmosphere of the route. Gilgamesh's was pretty sudden, and I couldn't tell if it was fitting for the route so much as just fitting for his character in an ironic way.]

Besides, the route itself explores the setting and background of the series better than any other route (which makes sense, considering it's the last route--the other routes left some of this stuff open purposely so it could be explained in the last route).
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Personally,what i think is that they should try making a series about Hollow Ataraxia or Type Extra.

However heaven's Feel sound interesting enough.

Also it would be nuts if it turns out that Ilya is really Kiritsugu & Irisviel's daughter. Would make things really interesting if it was true,though it would definitely make things complicated when it come to the harem life shiro got himself into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also it would be nuts if it turns out that Ilya is really Kiritsugu & Irisviel's daughter.

I'm not sure what you mean by "is really". It was explicitly stated in Fate/Zero that she is.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Also it would be nuts if it turns out that Ilya is really Kiritsugu & Irisviel's daughter.

spoiler[
I'm not sure what you mean by "is really". It was explicitly stated in Fate/Zero that she is.]

Woah there, son. Spoilers.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Woah there, son. Spoilers.

Um, no, it's not a spoiler. It is very, very obvious. You'd have to be braindead if you didn't realise that the Fate/Zero Ilya was the same girl as the Fate/Stay Night Ilya. And heck, it is also revealed very early on in the show (one of the first scenes of the first episode if I recall correctly).

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched Fate/Zero, I'm playing through the game. Though it DOES explain why Ilya insists on calling Shirou "Bro".
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Not sure why you're reading the discussion thread for a review of Fate/Zero, then. Especially when the review starts out by saying that there are Fate/stay night spoilers in it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I haven't watched Fate/Zero, I'm playing through the game. Though it DOES explain why Ilya insists on calling Shirou "Bro".

If that's the case, stay far away from any Fate Zero threads like this, as there are some pretty major Fate Stay/Night spoilers in Fate Zero, and people are unlikely to spoiler tag them if they mention them because they aren't spoilers for Fate Zero itself.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Not sure why you're reading the discussion thread for a review of Fate/Zero, then. Especially when the review starts out by saying that there are Fate/stay night spoilers in it.

Thanks to overzealous fans I already know quite a few Fate/Stay Night spoilers anyway, so I didn't really feel the need to exercise caution.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Thanks to overzealous fans I already know quite a few Fate/Stay Night spoilers anyway, so I didn't really feel the need to exercise caution.

Well, that was your mistake. In this case you can't really blame overzealous fans since the information in question was not a Fate Zero spoiler at all.

I have no idea how far you are in Fate Stay/Night, but until you finish it, I'd once again suggest you stay far away from anything involving Fate Zero. There are many things revealed in the very first episode of Fate Zero that are huge spoilers for Fate Stay/Night, but for Fate Zero are no more a spoiler than "Naruto wants to become Hokage" is a spoiler for Naruto. Heck, simply describing the premise of the series and mentioning the names of the main characters is a Fate Stay/Night spoiler. So be careful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5