• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Oct / Nov / Dec 2012 Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Sneak peek @ the free gift item for [C] - Control - The Money and Soul of Possibility (w/purchase @ TRSI): LINK

Finally formalized @ TRSI...

via TRSI - While supplies last, customers ordering this set will also receieve a replica "Bank of Midas" card!

Last edited by WTK on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Nice Package! - Serial Experiments Lain

Mock-up (they didn't show the other side of the artbox). Case mock-up as seen below:

Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, I didn't even really care much for Serial Experiments Lain, but seeing how all out FUNI is going to go out with this release is making me reconsider that lack of care. I mean, geez, they're throwing in a 300+ page book of production material as a limited edition extra, and the whole thing is on blu-ray to boot (which really surprises me, because wasn't Lain one of those early digitally colored shows? How would HD restoration work for something like that?).

Apparently, they're trying very hard to emulate the Japanese release. Does this mean that the other Yoshitoshi ABe releases that have already been covered by FUNI have yet to receive any special attention in the Japanese home media market? It's been ages since I saw Haibane Renmei compared to when I saw Lain, but I'm sure if I were to go back to that one, I'd enjoy that more... so if something like this was to be done/ have been done for HR, I'd be more ready to consider buying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Weren't there any other characters in this series? Everything features this same sad looking girl. Crying or Very sad If variety is the spice of life, then what the hell is this?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
Weren't there any other characters in this series? Everything features this same sad looking girl. Crying or Very sad If variety is the spice of life, then what the hell is this?

Well, yeah, there are other... uh, people in the series. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Experiments_Lain#Characters) But they all take a huge backseat to Lain herself (and really, there is no particular need to get to know the other characters beyond what's already shown of them to you). And besides, if there were many other characters for viewers to connect with and who appeared on a consistent basis, that'd kinda heavily detract from its core thematic content that revolves around communication and loneliness.

Yeah, a happy-go-lucky series this ain't, nor did it need to be, considering the show's intentions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Glad I made my pre-order of it.

I decided to revisit Lain after not being impressed with it a long time ago. It's a lot better now. Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
well, it seems there may be alot of old unsold previous tenchi universe and tenchi tokyo DVDs still floating around. I have come across a bunch just browsing around. That could be why for the low price.

You also have to consider a lot of people are selling their old versions right now because the new ones are going to come out. My Tenchi Universe boxset is a whopping 8 discs for instance, I could sell that bigass thing, replace it with a much thinner/newer version, and reclaim like 4 or 5 inches of shelf space.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Kruszer

But you could have done that years ago. Very Happy I had all eight singles but replaced them with a later Geneon set that had all eight disks but is less than a inch wide. I still have the trading cards I got with the singles though.

I've been reclaiming shelf space for about three years now.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:

Thanks for finding that! Had some certificates to use and preordered it for just of $3. At least that cuts a little off of my large forthcoming Funi sale order from RightStuf.

@ Kruszer, Alan45
You'd rebuy a release just for shelf space? Why not just buy some empty cases that hold more than one disc in the same space? I can understand if it's remastered or has new extras or something, but isn't the Tenchi TV re-release (in this case) no different then the geneon releases?
Personally I wouldn't mind reclaiming some shelf space either, but I like the artwork on the Tenchi Universe boxset, so I don't mind that it's 8 discs Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
You'd rebuy a release just for shelf space?

Yes, big time, it started when I realized I had a quarter of my anime in boxes in a closet where I forgot about it. Most of it was obtained at fairly low cost c/o Right Stuf and RACS. For awhile I tried selling the singles at a local FYE store, but they pay just enough to make me feel ripped off. They also started cherry picking from series. After that I began giving them away to people I knew.

Initially I kept most of the art boxes to use as holders when turned around but I quit this and now have a small pile of boxes in storage to get rid of.

Quote:
Why not just buy some empty cases that hold more than one disc in the same space?

I tried this, even made my own cover inserts, but it never looked right. They irritated the OC collector in me. Laughing
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Initially I kept most of the art boxes to use as holders when turned around but I quit this and now have a small pile of boxes in storage to get rid of.

Which series might those art boxes be for? These days I'm pretty good about getting art boxes with whatever series I buy, but if they're from some older ones that I might have missed out on, I could be interested Wink
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I tried this, even made my own cover inserts, but it never looked right. They irritated the OC collector in me. Laughing

The collection is 8 discs, right? Are they singles in an art box? Why not get 2 cases that hold 4 discs each (standard size), and you can use either 2 of the cover inserts, and store the others away.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Sailor S

I'll send you a list later. Actually I'm thinking of reopening "free to a good home" but I need to find that my round TUIT.

@ Vata Raven

Because then the cover would not properly represent the contents. Actually I went to the trouble of printing my own cover inserts, but I wasn't satisfied with them. They don't look right.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Why not just buy some empty cases that hold more than one disc in the same space?

Fair enough. Can't find fault with that Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 17