Forum - View topic
FUNimation Oct / Nov / Dec 2012 Solicitations


Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
doubleO7



Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 607
Location: New Mexico

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so we've still only gotten the Level E box art so far. How long does it usually take for the rest to show up?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WTK



Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 2387

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Quote:

Now listed by TRSI as Coming Soon, Date to be Determined.

New release date for Forte: June 25, 2013 (obviously subjected to change).


Last edited by WTK on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
potatochobit



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 1287
Location: TEXAS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
lmfao...

it's not funny anymore - but it's still funny.
I'm sure there will be plenty to buy this winter, though it may not all be from funimation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
WTK



Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 2387

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI...
Quote:

While supplies last, customers ordering this set will receive a Hellsing Organization patch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
potatochobit



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 1287
Location: TEXAS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Universe is 600 minutes and costs 23$

Tenchi OVAs are 300 minutes and cost 41$

I can't help but feel I am getting milked on nostalgia or is Tenchi Universe that bad?
I saw the OVAs redone on the funimation website and it looks very nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1768
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Tenchi Universe is 600 minutes and costs 23$

Tenchi OVAs are 300 minutes and cost 41$

I can't help but feel I am getting milked on nostalgia or is Tenchi Universe that bad?
I saw the OVAs redone on the funimation website and it looks very nice.


Tenchi OVA's are a Limited Edition BD/DVD Combo release.
Tenchi Universe is a DVD only Anime Classics release.

LE = Costs more.
Anime Classics = Like S.A.V.E Editions, cheap release.

Nuff said.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 1287
Location: TEXAS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi OVA is far older than Tenchi universe so why is not a SAVE edition?

From what I can tell most SAVE editions are from less popular shows that were reprinted or originally did not do well. If so, then funimation would agree with me that the tenchi universe license is worthless and only required to obtain the original OVA rights.

the whole first season of yu yu hakusho sells for 23$ and is 600 minutes and is on Blu-ray. so what is in this tenchi OVA 'limited edition' that makes it worth double the price? It cannot be just a blu-ray price. Not that I mind, each intellectual property has it's own individual value. I'm sure most people also consider the OVAs the definitive source for anything series related. So, it must be the OVAs are perceived to be worth more or the licensing fees had to have been higher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1768
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Tenchi OVA is far older than Tenchi universe so why is not a SAVE edition?

From what I can tell most SAVE editions are from less popular shows that were reprinted or originally did not do well. If so, then funimation would agree with me that the tenchi universe license is worthless and only required to obtain the original OVA rights.

If Tenchi Universe was that worthless then they would not have license rescued it. Doesn't make sense to rescue a title and then give it the bottom of the barrel (aka, S.A.V.E Edition) price tag. Confused Plus S.A.V.E Editions are meant for titles that did not sell well with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 706
Location: TN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
Tenchi OVA is far older than Tenchi universe so why is not a SAVE edition?

From what I can tell most SAVE editions are from less popular shows that were reprinted or originally did not do well. If so, then funimation would agree with me that the tenchi universe license is worthless and only required to obtain the original OVA rights.

If Tenchi Universe was that worthless then they would not have license rescued it. Doesn't make sense to rescue a title and then give it the bottom of the barrel (aka, S.A.V.E Edition) price tag. Confused Plus S.A.V.E Editions are meant for titles that did not sell well with them.

No, that isn't true. D.Gray-man sold well for Funimation, but it still went into the SAVE line and they're still trying to get the 2nd season...if they're still even trying, I hope they didn't give up on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1768
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
Tenchi OVA is far older than Tenchi universe so why is not a SAVE edition?

From what I can tell most SAVE editions are from less popular shows that were reprinted or originally did not do well. If so, then funimation would agree with me that the tenchi universe license is worthless and only required to obtain the original OVA rights.

If Tenchi Universe was that worthless then they would not have license rescued it. Doesn't make sense to rescue a title and then give it the bottom of the barrel (aka, S.A.V.E Edition) price tag. Confused Plus S.A.V.E Editions are meant for titles that did not sell well with them.

No, that isn't true. D.Gray-man sold well for Funimation, but it still went into the SAVE line and they're still trying to get the 2nd season...if they're still even trying, I hope they didn't give up on it.

Who said it sold well? I heard the opposite from Funimation reps and that it was the reason why season 2 had not been picked up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac



Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 1651

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
Tenchi OVA is far older than Tenchi universe so why is not a SAVE edition?

From what I can tell most SAVE editions are from less popular shows that were reprinted or originally did not do well. If so, then funimation would agree with me that the tenchi universe license is worthless and only required to obtain the original OVA rights.

If Tenchi Universe was that worthless then they would not have license rescued it. Doesn't make sense to rescue a title and then give it the bottom of the barrel (aka, S.A.V.E Edition) price tag. Confused Plus S.A.V.E Editions are meant for titles that did not sell well with them.


No, SAVE titles are the last release possible {some licenses restrict budget versions as I understand it} of any given title. In many cases, a reprint, including SAVE rebranding, is just another opportunity to get a title some exposure and the SAVE series is the last one. It's not for failures as Funimation would have gone bankrupt if all their SAVE titles were nonsellers.

You'll never see One Piece or Dragonball SAVE releases because they're constantly being repackaged anyway. It doesn't mean the latest versions are priced relatively higher than SAVE releases though.

For an Anime Classic printing, Tenchi Univese is cheap, that's true; 10 cheaper than most but still 10 dollars more than a 26 episode SAVE release. Why so low? Overbranding is my guess as the same thing is going on with the Hellsing TV series.

It's a case of "Hey, look at this and while you're at it, why not try Brand X too? It's cheaper." except they're trying to sell both X and Y.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1768
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
No, SAVE titles are the last release possible {some licenses restrict budget versions as I understand it} of any given title. In many cases, a reprint, including SAVE rebranding, is just another opportunity to get a title some exposure and the SAVE series is the last one. It's not for failures as Funimation would have gone bankrupt if all their SAVE titles were nonsellers.
You pretty much just agreed with me, you know? If a series gets a S.A.V.E edition that means it was not selling well and the S.A.V.E line is basically a "last chance" deal before Funimation decides to let the show's license expire and then go OOP (Beck for example until they decided to reprint the S.A.V.E edition due to sudden high demand for it). If it was selling well then it would get an Anime Classics release (like Ouran Highschool Host Club for example) but a number of shows have gone straight to the S.A.V.E edition line after a complete collection set due to not so good sales.

Animegomaniac wrote:
You'll never see One Piece or Dragonball SAVE releases because they're constantly being repackaged anyway. It doesn't mean the latest versions are priced relatively higher than SAVE releases though.
Well, actually, you'll never see S.A.V.E editions of those two franchises because they are popular (if One Piece wasn't then they wouldn't have acquired season 5) and DBZ is their #1 best seller. Same with Fruits Basket. They will milk those franchises forever. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 706
Location: TN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
VataRaven wrote:
No, that isn't true. D.Gray-man sold well for Funimation, but it still went into the SAVE line and they're still trying to get the 2nd season...if they're still even trying, I hope they didn't give up on it.

Who said it sold well? I heard the opposite from Funimation reps and that it was the reason why season 2 had not been picked up.

They can't get season 2 because Denstu is giving Funimation issues to get the rest. Funimation has also said they want to finish DGM because of it only being 103 episodes and it sold well enough to look into getting the 2nd season (again, they can't because of issues)

Rukiia wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
No, SAVE titles are the last release possible {some licenses restrict budget versions as I understand it} of any given title. In many cases, a reprint, including SAVE rebranding, is just another opportunity to get a title some exposure and the SAVE series is the last one. It's not for failures as Funimation would have gone bankrupt if all their SAVE titles were nonsellers.
You pretty much just agreed with me, you know? If a series gets a S.A.V.E edition that means it was not selling well and the S.A.V.E line is basically a "last chance" deal before Funimation decides to let the show's license expire and then go OOP (Beck for example until they decided to reprint the S.A.V.E edition due to sudden high demand for it). If it was selling well then it would get an Anime Classics release (like Ouran Highschool Host Club for example) but a number of shows have gone straight to the S.A.V.E edition line after a complete collection set due to not so good sales.

First off, BECK went OOP because of the title issue, the band didn't like how they used BECK in it, so Funimation was forced to work something out and rename the title. Also, they also renewed a SAVE series because it sold well enough and picked up the the 2ns season...they have said SAVE doesn't mean it sold poorly, just means the series didn't do well enough to get into the classic line or one of those other titles like DBZ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
potatochobit



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 1287
Location: TEXAS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
well, it seems there may be alot of old unsold previous tenchi universe and tenchi tokyo DVDs still floating around. I have come across a bunch just browsing around. That could be why for the low price.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 8131

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, while the OVA has been a bit harder to get a hold of, and it's a new product being BD, that obviously factors into price more than anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 17

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group