• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Morning Musume Girl Group to Perform at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Morning Musume fan at all, but I gotta say that's a pretty high-profile gig. How did AX even get that? Shocking~

And yet I don't really expect there to be that many people there... anime congoers are mostly Naruto junkies more into their little English VAs than Japanese idols and stuff, right? Most of them probably haven't even heard of Morning Musume. At least J-Rock has broader appeal because of the general aesthetic.

Still, a step in the right direction; hope anicons can bring in broader guests =)
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
strahl: Pretty much agree with you, though I'm not going to take sides on the committee in-fighting. If they want to start a Japanese Pop Culture Expo, fine. But I went there for the anime, not for the bands.
Beruda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
cccp wrote:
I can't believe that it has come to this. This once great Morning Musume is finally coming to the states and where do they go? To an anime convention full of neckbeards and Naruto headbands.

Things must really be going badly for them Sad

Hate to break it to you but they don't have an audience here outside of the neckbeard naruto headband crowd, and they never did. Maybe in your head they'd be playing the Staples Center but the only Japanese bands that seem to be able to gather a decent audience outside of anime cons are rock/punk acts like Polysics and Melt Banana who appeal to indie fans. If it weren't happening at an anime convention, a bunch of little girls cavorting around on stage in costumes singing about kittens and rainbows would be more likely a concert staged by Nickelodeon and marketed toward an age-appropriate audience, or chance for a massive FBI sex offender sting operation.

Thank you Zac, I'm still laughing.........................I particularly like the last sentence, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing This is to funny, playing at the Staple Center, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

B.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
A pure waste of money. Sigh...is there any hope for Anime Expo this year at all? For one thing, the last time I checked they still don't have registration up for general attendees, and now they've brought the apocalypse unto their event. 2008 was a big improvement from 2007, but now I'm starting to get worried about this year.
kyamei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
I don't care what everyone else says, I LOVE Morning Musume. I went to one of their concerts while I was in Japan, lots of fun. Almost makes me want to book a vacation and go to AX this year.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
I listen to their songs once in a while but I would rather an um..better group get booked like maybe Ikimono Gakari. At least they did an anime song. Plus the wota.. oh the wota. One of the creepiest of the subcultures IMO. Middle age guys and otaku who believe that they aren't manufactured screaming along to lyrics like "Tonight tonight kisu shinai asobi ja kisu shinai" and getting all upset if there's even a hint that their favorite girl went on a date.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
I just imagine all idols to be like Akira-sama. Which is probably true Very Happy
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Holy crap what is with the negativity? If you don't like them, don't go to the concert!

Calling them "the worst girl group on the planet" is a bit much. Morning Musume might not be as strong as they were a few years ago, but they're still a solid group compared to some of the other stuff out there. Their recent few singles have been pretty good. I'd say, check out YouTube for their recent singles like "Egao Yes Nude", "Resonant Blue", and "Kanashimi Twilight". If you like the sound, go to their concert at AX. If not, no big deal!

This thread is kind of unintentionally hilarious though. Over on the MoMusu fan boards they're whining about the weeaboos they'll have to sift through, and you guys are complaining about the idol fans. Great. Why can't we all just get along?

Also: By the time AX rolls around, only two members of MoMusu will be under 18 (and they're 16). The oldest in the group is 22. They aren't THAT young. If you really want pedo fodder, look at the groups C-ute and Berryz Koubou. The youngest in those is 14, and the oldest is I think 17 now, but they've been around for years, so...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Holy crap what is with the negativity? If you don't like them, don't go to the concert!

Unless you have to report on it, like Zac maybe? Laughing

Michi wrote:

Calling them "the worst girl group on the planet" is a bit much. Morning Musume might not be as strong as they were a few years ago, but they're still a solid group compared to some of the other stuff out there. Their recent few singles have been pretty good. I'd say, check out YouTube for their recent singles like "Egao Yes Nude", "Resonant Blue", and "Kanashimi Twilight". If you like the sound, go to their concert at AX. If not, no big deal!

Just leave knowing the lyrics at the door. Laughing

Michi wrote:

This thread is kind of unintentionally hilarious though. Over on the MoMusu fan boards they're whining about the weeaboos they'll have to sift through, and you guys are complaining about the idol fans. Great. Why can't we all just get along?

This article is funny: Wota Lota Love. Laughing

"If you wanted to get esoteric about it, you could call all this a Jungian quest for the Inner Princess, a sort of worship at the psychological altar to feminine power."

Michi wrote:

Also: By the time AX rolls around, only two members of MoMusu will be under 18 (and they're 16). The oldest in the group is 22. They aren't THAT young. If you really want pedo fodder, look at the groups C-ute and Berryz Koubou. The youngest in those is 14, and the oldest is I think 17 now, but they've been around for years, so...

It's not just about the ages. Many older people and the Grammys do appreciate the young Jonas Brothers after all. It's the whole ambiance surrounding the spectacle. Y'know the older Jonas-fans aren't into some Jungian quest. Laughing
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I listen to their songs once in a while but I would rather an um..better group get booked like maybe Ikimono Gakari. At least they did an anime song.

While the main group hasn't done anything, as the article pointed out, the members have worked on several anime.
strahl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I went there for the anime, not for the bands.

you found the bands and what else did you find?

what was last year "big premiere"? BATMAN?

****NEWSFLASH******

Anime expo proudly announces that they will have the cast of HSM 3 there, your only chance to get autographs with Zac efron performing with the girls of morning musume, the biggest crossover ever!! go and cosplay as your wildcats favorite basketball players!!

Zac efron will also perform "Indestructible" (from the street fighter 4 opening) complete with backstage dancers Smile

It's coming to that veeery soooon!!!
hollowmoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Hurr Hurr Hurr! I don't like idols so my tastes are WAY superior to YOURS!

Only internet neckbeards would take that kind of attitude.

Really, if you don't like them DON'T SEE THEM. But despite what you think they do have quite a following in the U.S. and we aren't all neckbeards and narutards. I happen to be a 29 year old girl and I freaking LOVE MOMUSU!

I am so excited for this!

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo there!

Rock on H!P
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Now if they sing the older songs I might want to see it but I don't really want to hear them sing Mikan or Pepper Keibu (even though the original is good). Egao Yes Nude is ok I guess but the level of creepy in there will probably be over nine thousand.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting is that the young idols' talent agencies actually cultivate the wota spectacle for the big yen. Western productions would never allow that, making that J-idol phenomenon un-exportable to Western markets. Even a then-young Britney Spears would not be associated with such (and that's saying something) - that's guaranteed to kill ya in your target youth demographics. No youth would want to par-tay with ultra-eager photo-shooting moms and dads! (Rock-on maybe, with classic bands, but not par-tay.) Laughing
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
There's a difference between A 32 year old guy who likes the same group as a 16 year old girl and a 32 year old wota who like the same group as a 16 year old girl. You may not want to um..par-tay? with the 32 year old guy but as a 16 year old girl you don't want to stand next to the wota. This is because being a wota is sometimes (maybe often) equivalent to being that anime fan who wanted to marry his favorite character. They want to know everything from the girls measurements to what she wrote in her diary last night. God forbid you find out she's been on a date. Then (in morning musume's case) she may be punished by the company or sometimes bullied by the fans. I seem to remember this happening to Yukari Tanemura, Tenten's voice actor.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3