• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Half-Lidded

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, and Earthbound still hold up today. They were the best RPGs. We'll see if anybody gives a crap about Skyrim in 10 years.

WRPG and JRPG are not really comparable. Those JRPG are remembered for their story, characters, and presentation. Skyrim has pretty much no story or characters. It's more of a sandbox game. WRPG is more about doing whatever you want in a world.

I wasn't aware Abridging was still a thing. I thought that fad died out years ago. I considered it dead when I saw stuff like "Kingdom Hearts the Abridged Series" and "Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends Abridged". I mean.. really? Not that any of the first ones were funny or anything. They're just Family Guy-esque meta humor and pop culture humor.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
For the record, and I should've mentioned this on the show, Chrono Trigger will always be my favorite RPG.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The comment about romance in anime makes me wonder how Zac will respond to Natsuyuki. Like Zac, I'm also starving (though not exactly wishing) for an anime that deals with adult relationships, but I also share his aversion to plodding storylines.

Natsuyuki's premise sounds like something I'm really looking for, but it's been compared to really slow stuff like Honey & Clover, which I didn't really like.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Natsuyuki's premise sounds like something I'm really looking for, but it's been compared to really slow stuff like Honey & Clover, which I didn't really like.

That comparison's kinda insulting to Honey and Clover. Wink
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Why? (in any case I didn't like Honey & Clover, so that might be good for me?). Anyway I didn't make the comparison, I read someone else's comment somewhere here. Forgot where though.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I finally got a question answere on ANNCast. Smile

And I don't have a problem with the edit to my question, since I had originally submitted it before AX, so some of the way it was originally phrased was sorely out of date.

Have fun at SDCC, Zac!

And for future reference, my user name is pronounced "el-jay-ash." The "aesch" part of my user name is the first part of my last name, which is of Swiss-German origin. For whatever reason, my husband's ancestors decided to put that unnecessary "e" and "c" in there, so that tends to throw people off when they see that part of our last name. The only good thing about it, though, is the fact that it helps me to identify when telemarketers are calling. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SoandSo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
SoandSo wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Why? (in any case I didn't like Honey & Clover, so that might be good for me?). Anyway I didn't make the comparison, I read someone else's comment somewhere here. Forgot where though.

Twas merely a joke, my good sir or m'am.(Also, Natsuyuki bored the shit outta me.) Wink
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Favorite character designer? Yoshitoshi ABe. I've been waiting to see his name attached to a new anime project. I would genuinely be excited if I did and genuine excitement from me is very rare.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
When Justin is talking about old shows in gerenal or how he came into anime, it scares me sometimes. He mentions Warriors of the wind, which was also one of my first anime movies dubbed in German I rented from a video store back in the early nineties. Then he mentions Project A-ko as the gateway drug into anime, which happens to be my very first anime VHS purchase (the old UK Manga video dub) as well, and when the question about unrealized anime projects pops up, I had to think immediately of Gainax's Blue Uru, and Justin mentions that project as well.
I wonder if he's my lost twin brother Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to attend a live ANNCast, but I live in Pennsylvania, so it would have to be at Otakon. I guess that means it’ll never happen. (It’d take something pretty big to get me to go to California) Maybe you should consider creating an ANNCast ‘B Team’ to cover off weeks and an Otakon ANNCast. (Well, that’s probably impractical for various reasons that I can’t imagine, but a fellow can dream)

Mankind Had Declined seems primed to be the critical favorite for the season and is the only thing that has really excited me. It’s just so enthusiastically strange and satiric, which is really engaging to me and could lead somewhere pretty cool, but it also seems like it could crash horribly if it becomes too heavy-handed or has too few tricks.

David Frum was one of the names that came to mind from the phrase, “highbrow conservatives.” (Other options include Andrew Sullivan, Bruce Bartlett, Judge Richard Posner and the writers of The American Conservative) I think that besides mostly having stepped out from the Republican Party, they are characterized by an ideology that is both more pragmatic and philosophical than contemporary Republicanism. (Jonathan Haidt has written an interesting book that posits a theory of psychological differences on moral values among ideologies and come to believe that conservatives have a more complete moral system than liberals) Anime fans seem to mostly break center-left with some libertarians, the latter perhaps being a byproduct of the relatively high incidence of people in information technology fields who are anime fans. It would be great to see an ideological census of the ANN fora or anime fans at large; I would love to see if there are any correlations between the kind of things that people like and their political ideology. (Did anybody ever do that study that Zac asked for in his last Answerman column?) It would be fascinating, but oh the trouble it’d cause.

I WAS NEVER INTO NARUTO!

Zac will play a Visual Novel? Will that be for his stream or for something on ANN?

First anime ever: Probably Maya the Bee, Blinky the Koala or some other children’s series that was shown on Nickelodeon in the eighties. First Anime I Knew Was Anime: Also Project A-ko
First Manga: The first volume of the s-Cry-ed manga, which I bought on a whim, read and never looked at again. (I found it in a box a few weeks ago… I believe that I threw it away)

Favorite Romance Anime: Does Revolutionary Girl Utena count?

Japan liked Ally McBeal? I didn't think it was a bad show, Greg German and Peter MacNicol were fun... but... Ally Beal?

I thought that the ending of Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ was interesting; it was a little frustrating at first, but I very fitting to the series and a little remarkable, in retrospect.

I liked the first thirteen episodes of Key the Metal Idol, but the final films are dreadful. It should have been great, but it just shot itself in the foot with all the barrels of a vierling. I was bothered more by bad writing than any technical faults. Even so, I actually recommend that people see it, but that they be ready for a very disappointing finale.

I actually would like to hear Zac and Justin, to say nothing of other ANN contributors, talk about their ideas for anime or manga. It's a narcissistic and mostly futile exercise, but I think it can be fascinating, entertaining and a little revelatory from the right people. (Perhaps there could be an ANNCast where Zac and Justin solicit anime ideas from the audience... then tear them apart from a production and narrative perspective... well, that would probably end up as a nightmare, which is what I appear to be good at)

I love it when Justin gets video nerdy... even though I can't understand it too well.

I just got an HDTV and Blu-ray player. I already have Redline and I fully intend to buy Sky Crawlers.

I would love to see more Moribtio, especially for more of Balsa, but I can't imagine it happening. The series had to be expensive, but not a great success, certainly not enough to justify investing in making more of it.

I like Armitage III a lot, but I love the ugly aesthetics and I have a lot of affection for them because of Satuday Anime. I recommend the OVA, but the film is interesting as a curio. I even have a certain fondness for Kiefer Sutherland's no-doze performanceas Ross Syllibus. It's cheap and not too long, so it's a pretty small risk. FUNImation just released a new version and you can practically find the old Geneon discs under bus seats on lines that run in bad neighborhoods. I wonder why FUNImation bothered.

Zac and Justin are all about Makoto Uno character designs, they just can't admit it.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
FUNImation just released a new version and you can practically find the old Geneon discs under bus seats on lines that run in bad neighborhoods. I wonder why FUNImation bothered.

It was probably a cheap license to snatch up from the Geneon catalog. Although I agree, I don't know understand why Funimation would want re-release it. All it's going to do is overflow the market with more (unsold) copies on the shelves. It's much like what they did with Love Hina, where there were a ton of copies of the Bandai releases out in the market and then Funimation released it 3-4 times in repackages.

BTW, the question about the shows going on a week hiatus was referring to a couple weeks ago. There were a couple shows like Accel World & Sankarea that went on a week hiatus and no explanation was given. I'm not sure Golden Week(which is during late April/early May) would affect it that much considering how close some of these shows are completed to their air time.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
I'm also curious about what VN Zac will be playing. If it hasn't been decided, I'd recommend Higurashi - When They Cry.

My favorite character designer is Yoshihiko Umakoshi. He's been designing characters for a long time; Hana Yori Dango, Marmalade Boy, and Gokinjo Monogatari are all his work. So is the original Berserk TV series. Post 2000, he's best known for Ojamajo Doremi, Casshern Sins, and Heartcatch Precure.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
School Days just came out for R1, so probably that.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
School Days just came out for R1, so probably that.

I was thinking the same thing. Guess we'll find out soon.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Japan liked Ally McBeal? I didn't think it was a bad show, Greg German and Peter MacNicol were fun... but... Ally Beal?

I guess the Japanese likes quirky female leads.

I'm also curious what popular American TV shows that the Japanese liked also (I know for a fact they like 24). Of course I'm more curious on which U.S. TV show that are critically acclaimed and popular here but failed miserably in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6