• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Morning Musume Girl Group to Perform at Anime Expo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
This...is...bad. Morning Musume is possibly the worst girl group on the planet. Heed my advice and skip this dreadful event.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
You have to be F'ing kidding me. How in the world did AX even NEGOTIATE with these people? Now they're going to attract rabid fanboys from Japan, which means less mobility when trying to walk around. I don't even want to go into thinking how Tsunku even agreed to this, but this is BAD.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
This...is...bad. Morning Musume is possibly the worst girl group on the planet. Heed my advice and skip this dreadful event.

Regardless of whether they are any good or not, they are interesting from the standpoint of modern Japanese popular culture. But if there were any chance I would go to Anime Expo, I would be pushing for enka.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Morning Menudo!

The lolis should be happy. Laughing
(Mainly the creepy hordes of middle-aged Japanese who always film their shows.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
what a weird choice, they don't really have any appeal to the Otaku culture.
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy.........
I can only begin to imagine what sort of "creatures" will occupy this year's AX.

This will be worse than the fangirls flooding AX two years ago when Gackt came.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
what a weird choice, they don't really have any appeal to the Otaku culture.

Actually, they do have an appeal, it's just not our specific field of taste of anime otaku culture. Theirs is more the moe/loli type otaku fanboys, old guys, freaks, whatever you want to call them.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
..Oh dear. xD I admit back in my younger days I was a huge Momusu fangirl, but now..I don't even want to imagine what that place is going to be like.

Maybe con-goers will get lucky and the majority of "fans" will just show up for the concert. ...Naaaaaah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
strahl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
the very reason I stopped going to AX at all, it's not about anime anymore is more like "what's-we-think-is-pop-in-japanexpo"

the idiots organizing this travesty forgot about the legendary character designers, anime directors, voice actors, manga authors and people in charge of creating the animation and comics from japan, what do J-pop bands have to do in AX? really, the S.KI.N concert was 40 minutes long after making the audience wait for 5 hours...if you wanna make a concert...do it and charge for it, but AX spent all their money bringing the beast ladies of clamp, four women resented of the world that were treated like royalty for nothing and they avoided the fans at all costs, screw them....

I miss the 2001 and 2003 AX, then [see note below] everything went down...way down...

sorry people but forget AX, is not about anime anymore...

[Due to a complaint from the SPJA we have removed a portion of this post while we consult with our lawyer to determine ANN's liability. We would like very much to return this post to its original format once we receive the go-ahead from our lawyer.]
dcpoor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

ur face is the worst girl group on the planet.

i can't believe i'm gonna go to AX just for my precious musumes. sigh. Mad

and please do skip the event, i'll need as much chanting and jumping room i can get. Embarassed
cccp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that it has come to this. This once great Morning Musume is finally coming to the states and where do they go? To an anime convention full of neckbeards and Naruto headbands.

Things must really be going badly for them Sad
orangered

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I expected negativity, but pure unadulterated hatred? I had no idea there was such animosity between anime fans and idol-wota. Someone needs to update the hierarchy.

At least we can all agree that we hate furries, right?
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not feeling the Morning Musume love Anime hyper

I'm actually excited. Hello!Project took over my iTunes purchases after they started offering it on US iTunes.
I'm hoping Sexy Boy ~Soyokaze no Risotte~ makes it onto the track list. I might actually buy those premium concert tickets this time.

It is sort of an odd addition though. Shokotan was an idol, but also had something to do with anime (her love for it, and her songs snow tears and Sorairo Days).

W-General wrote:
Oh boy.........
I can only begin to imagine what sort of "creatures" will occupy this year's AX.

This will be worse than the fangirls flooding AX two years ago when Gackt came.

I don't know... Gackt fangirls are pretty scary too =3 No, you cannot bring your yaoi paddles into the concert. No, you cannot "have" Gackt.

I think we can all agree that not everyone's going for the MoMusume singing however.

Last edited by Hagaren_Otaku726 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Bring a Monitor Lizard and I might be interested
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
cccp wrote:
I can't believe that it has come to this. This once great Morning Musume is finally coming to the states and where do they go? To an anime convention full of neckbeards and Naruto headbands.

Things must really be going badly for them Sad

Hate to break it to you but they don't have an audience here outside of the neckbeard naruto headband crowd, and they never did. Maybe in your head they'd be playing the Staples Center but the only Japanese bands that seem to be able to gather a decent audience outside of anime cons are rock/punk acts like Polysics and Melt Banana who appeal to indie fans. If it weren't happening at an anime convention, a bunch of little girls cavorting around on stage in costumes singing about kittens and rainbows would be more likely a concert staged by Nickelodeon and marketed toward an age-appropriate audience, or chance for a massive FBI sex offender sting operation.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3