• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Blu, Digital Manga Titles Listed by Amazon.ca

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, Madness? I had no idea it was licensed! It's a long wait until November, though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Oh my gosh, Madness? I had no idea it was licensed! It's a long wait until November, though...

What's it about? (if you don't mind my asking)

Always, always happy to see new titles licensed, even if they end up being series I personally don't care for.
Altacia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Anime smallmouth

Woot! Finally, I've been waiting ages for Madness to be picked up by someone.

Heres hoping BLU will do a nice job.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... This digital manga idea seems like a good way to catch up to Japan in Naruto.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Hmm... This digital manga idea seems like a good way to catch up to Japan in Naruto.

Viz has online manga viewing available on their site (viz.com), just no Naruto. I agree that jumping on the digital distribution bandwagon with the likes of Netcomics, Tokyopop and DMP would be prudent, but at the same time, Viz does a lot of business through their print magazines, Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat and I don't know that they are quite willing to give up those revenue streams in favor of an all-digital format (that would invariably affect print sales). In any event, digital manga takes almost as much time as print manga (with the exception of the actual printing/shipping), so the speed with which Viz caught up to the Japanese releases would probably not be that significant. I will say that they'll more than likely catch up eventually. Japanese serialization definitely lags behind English publication speeds.
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
poonk wrote:
What's it about? (if you don't mind my asking)
Oh, sorry, I disappeared for a few days and didn't realize you asked me a question.

As for Madness, well, first of all it is yaoi, so if that's a turn-off you can stop reading now. I dug up the scanalations to refresh my memory on the details, so here's my synopsis of the first chapter (and although I personally don't think anything that happens in the first chapter of a series is really a serious spoiler, I put it in spoiler brackets just in case some people care):

spoiler[In the post-apocalyptic year 3000, Kyo, the legendary leader of a band of marauding killers known as "Madness," is presumed dead. In actuality, however, for the last 3 years the amnesiac Kyo (and his sword) have been imprisoned in a dungeon below a church, where he has been cared for by kindly priest Izaya. One day a member of Madness comes to town to claim the sword, and (naturally) all hell breaks loose. Kyo's previous bloodthirsty nature resurfaces and he breaks free and drives off the intruder. He decides to become a bounty hunter to find answers to his many questions; he also insists (like I said, it's yaoi) on bringing Izaya along for the ride, since somehow the Father works as a "Suppressor" to Kyo's murderous nature (as evidenced by his gentle demeanor during his years of captivity). Izaya agrees to accompany Kyo, not only in order to protect the town but also because he holds some hope that the "true" Kyo he knows still exists inside his bloodthirsty companion.

Eventually they reunite with other members of Madness and
]
...well, anything else really would be a spoiler, so I'll leave it at that. FYI, it is 2 volumes. And there is a kick-arse (and, uh, well-endowed) female character too, if that makes a difference to anyone. Anyway, I'm looking forward to owning this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1