• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ever been stopped from buying a manga before?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I've never personally been stopped for it. But I was about 16/17 when I started reading them anyway. Granted, I have a baby face, but I got to be known as a regular customer where I shopped and they didn't care. I bought Battle Royale around that time.

However, as a bookseller myself, I've only stopped people on random occasion. I once had a young kid trying to buy something very graphic (don't remember the title), and I checked with his dad, who thanked me profusely. But if they're alone, then I sell it to them, unless it's something REALLY bad. No chain bookstore I know of has any policy on age on anything except sophisticate magazines. I've sold sex books to teenagers before. :¯\_(ツ)_/¯: People just need to be better parents.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ever since age 13 or 14, I've been able to pass for much older, so I've never gotten stopped. I'm 18 now, so I doubt it'll happen. I've only ever been carded buying doujinshi at conventions.
dm@benippon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
This topic is culturally interesting because of the difference in values between the US and Japan. Most of the stuff on the market is targeted at teens or grade-schoolers here in Japan, while in the US you get carded now??? I can't believe it.
Jkid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I never been stopped from buying manga before. The only possibly excuse to card someone if it's store policy, and none of the stores that sell manga have store policies regarding age and manga.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I have never been stopped from buying manga. While I've been here and while I've been in Japan. The thing is that I don't buy English manga at all, which is probably another factor as to why people don't question whether I am old enough or not to read what I am buying. And I look too old for cashiers to be worrying about age limits anyway.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I've never been stopped for buying manga.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
I've never been stopped or carded, probably because the store needed money. That and I try to be really polite with the staff (seriously, can one imagine how stressful dealing with rude customers all day long? I can!) Just be nice to the staff and don't draw attention to yourself and often you'll be left alone.

Of course, I much older now, so there won't be trouble anymore.
Mitsuho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I've never been stopped before.

Last edited by Mitsuho on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agoston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Never, I've bought Berserk by myself (highest age rating) all the volumes have a sticker on the front and they're supposed to be 18+, but no one seems to care. I'm 15 by the way.

Only had trouble for video games Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Never, I've bought Berserk by myself (highest age rating) all the volumes have a sticker on the front and they're supposed to be 18+, but no one seems to care. I'm 15 by the way.

Only had trouble for video games Wink

Yeah, that's something I've always found interesting. Video Games or Movies they make a big deal of but books or comics, nobody gives a damn.
hoppersyque?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
Have I been carded? No, because I'm well into adulthood.

But I tell you something, it would not surprise me if sometime in the future some sort of court case occurs because of a store clerk not checking the ID of a manga customer.

There have been various obscenity cases involving American comics over the years. The matter is no joke. One Oklahoma case involving an adults-only comic occurred even though the comic shop in question sold the comic to a consenting adult!

Knowing how puritanical this country can be, I would think it's only a matter of time.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue2.4/awm2.4pages/2.4alstonlegal.html

http://www.cbldf.org/casefiles/planetcomics.shtml

So basically, yeah, I think clerks should card people. Just because of what could happen.
Loli Amazon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
One time when I was 14 I tried to buy Dance Until Tomorrow.
I was so nervous I was shaking. Only to somehow be caught off guard and surprised by the words "I can't sell this to you".

I don't remember how I reacted but it was probably quite timid. If I could go back and do it again, I'd give her an earful. Heck I'd ask to chew out the manager.

But so anyway, I came back another day, and tried to buy it again, and I was able to buy it just fine.

The result of things like this: a rather disdain for the age of consent laws and sexual morals in general!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
hoppersyque? wrote:
Have I been carded? No, because I'm well into adulthood.

But I tell you something, it would not surprise me if sometime in the future some sort of court case occurs because of a store clerk not checking the ID of a manga customer.

There have been various obscenity cases involving American comics over the years. The matter is no joke. One Oklahoma case involving an adults-only comic occurred even though the comic shop in question sold the comic to a consenting adult!

Knowing how puritanical this country can be, I would think it's only a matter of time.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue2.4/awm2.4pages/2.4alstonlegal.html

http://www.cbldf.org/casefiles/planetcomics.shtml

So basically, yeah, I think clerks should card people. Just because of what could happen.

Oh its going to happen, I just wonder when. Fifteen years ago, almost anyone could buy a video game, no matter what the age ratting. But because of some horriable incidents (some which could have been prevented) clerks must card people.

But the only reason they card is because of what might occur if they don't. The companies don't want to be sued, that is all matters to them. Two years ago when I for training for my job, most of the training was about not getting the company sued and not about important issues like how to perform proper customer service or how to deal with emergancy situtions.

I give it ten or so years before we see a huge court case. It won't be pretty and will take a long time to finish. Hopefully I am wrong, but now and days, I really don't know anymore.
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Me, carded? No. Mostly because of two reasons:

1) Even though I'm 14, and turning 15 in less than two months, I look like I'm 16. That, and I talk like I'm more sophisticated than your average 14 year-old.

2) The worst manga I ever bought was Higurashi- When They Cry, or Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, which is rated OT for older teens (Thank You, Yen Press!)
sashaisme

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I have not been stopped because I tend to only look at the stuff I know I can't buy... But I'd love to own something people think I'm too young for, and yet I wouldn't look like it scarred me for life...

That was worded... horribly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4