• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds El Cazador De La Bruja

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the lyrics being removed from certain songs (and I can't even remember what series people are talking about anymore Razz), couldn't it also come down to a simple, mechanical issue? Perhaps, for whatever reason, some of the Japanese songs were recorded as part of the original Japanese audio track. It'd be impossible to separate just the vocals from the spoken dialogue, so FUNi may have been forced to leave the tracks as instrumentals on the dub track. It's probably a less likely possibility than the scenario where they couldn't obtain the licenses to certain songs, but either way, I'm sure it's something that's mostly out of their hands. It's not like they'd go out of their way to irritate the people they're trying to sell DVDs to.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
If they released the soundtracks as well, this would be worth bringing over, but since FUNimation didn't do that with Tsubasa, I highly doubt they're going to do it with Cazador. Yuki Kajiura's music is solid. The rest of the series.... well, I didn't hate it like Noir, but I didn't truly enjoy it like I did Madlax (Madlax's animation is better, the action is actually driven by the story instead of the need to fill time and is actually somewhat choreographed, the characters are more defined and endearing, and most of Kajiura's music is used properly...... well, except for that squealing synth noise). The best I can say for Bruja is at least it's entertainingly bad.

The thing is the concept's solid and, in fact, pretty intriguing, but the animation is a step backwards from Madlax and the writing is absolute dreck. The villain gives off absolutely no sense of dread. He somehow knows everything about everything, but does NOTHING about it. He spends 95% of the series sitting around boinking his girlfriend or torturing his lackey, L.A., who is creepy and the attempts to make us sympathize or understand him fail, so it doesn't mean squat. There are two exceptions where he actually does something, both spoilers. The plot mostly goes nowhere, and the more they reveal, the less interesting the whole thing becomes. And boy, some of that dialogue. I'd be willing to check out the series on DVD just to see if my favorite piece of unintentionally funny dialogue was properly translated. "Hello, White House? Can you put me through to someone important?"

I will say it has one great episode, however. "No, I never want to lose you in the forest of the night...."
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes of the series and it seemed ok, not enough to continue to waste band width on, but it seemed good enough to justify renting the first disc when it comes out. Still with all the licensing activities that FUNi has been doing there is still now title that I will be buying. All I am asking for is one of the fallowing: Tales of Agriculture, Cyber Coil, KimiKiss Pure Rouge, Rescue Wings heck I would even take Bartender. I would love if someone would pick up Kaiba, Casshern Sins or Kurenai.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
I watched the first two episodes of the series and it seemed ok, not enough to continue to waste band width on, but it seemed good enough to justify renting the first disc when it comes out. Still with all the licensing activities that FUNi has been doing there is still now title that I will be buying. All I am asking for is one of the fallowing: Tales of Agriculture, Cyber Coil, KimiKiss Pure Rouge, Rescue Wings heck I would even take Bartender. I would love if someone would pick up Kaiba, Casshern Sins or Kurenai.

All of those except maybe Kimikiss should be viable licenses. I wonder what rating you'd have to give Bartender. I'd say PG for the story content, but then there's the alcohol situation, more or less glorifying the drinking of nice liquors and such, certainly not for kids for teens then.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
It makes no sense to remove them from the dubbed track. No wonder people keep going to fansubs!

This makes no sense. The discs come with the original Japanese track completely intact, including the songs. How does having dubbed songs in the dubbed audio track make people go to fansubs? Just push the audio button on your remote control and you have the Japanese version of the song. It's not like you have to go to great effort to track it down. It's right there for you. If pushing a button on your remote is too much effort for you then I don't know what to tell you. I guess no matter what they do they are not going to make everyone happy.

That's not the point. I've told already, it's not the fact they dubbed songs it is the fact they took them OUT! O-U-T, OUT!

Again, I can live with them dubbing songs, I don't like it, but it doesn't mortify me for them to dub songs. Yeah I can switch over to Japanese, fine, but guess what, I WANT to watch it dubbed. I'm much more a dubbed enthusiast than subs. I watch subs ONLY when the acting is bad or simply could NEVER EVER live up to the Japanese audio. (The only Anime that comes to mind is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)

Anyway, I thought about a rights issue, but I doubt that's it, these are all by the SAME artist, Kajiura. If it was several different artists sure that makes sense. And I know Japanese companies probably sell the Music rights separately to the distribution rights. Fine I get that too. But who would sell several different music packages? It's suicide. Unless some of these inserts are under different labels then maybe that makes sense. But of course if it's on the Japanese track, than I can't imagine why it WOULDN'T be on the English dub track. Technical, maybe, doubt it because how could other songs get on? How could they even get the entire score? Unless it really boils down to many and several large audio files, (Foley+voice etc) fine, so please FUNi come explain it to me. If it was a cut to save some space, but still ADV never did such things. They don't want to put Lyrics in, FINE don't put them in then.

How does this drive people to fansubs? Well it doesn't drive die-hard fans to it not likely but for those that are already paranoid about English dubs and official R1 releases, this doesn't help the case out!

I know Tsubasa isn't going onto National TV, that's my point, they don't need to "make the certified changes" to get it in a universal appeal. Why mess with a product?

My point, don't tamper the product!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Myself and several others have explained several possiblities as to why.

1. License issue, they might not have been able to license a cover for the song, Funimation is known for dubbing everything in one language.

2. Technical issue, the track may have been mixed into the original audio track, once that is done it can't be seperated. If they don't have the master tracks for the songs in question, they can't add it in. Which with Funimation's policy would make sense to either cut the song or use an instrumental.

3. Most artist sell rights on a per song basis, as then each song, each piece becomes valuable. So it's could also be a cost issue.

4. You shoot for a general audience, as most won't care or notice the song missing, it doesn't speak of a "hack" job it's working with what they have. Songs/music represent atmosphere and mood, they generally don't give meaning to a scene, it just reinforces what's already there.

5. License holder may request changes to the product to potentially increase sales.

In fact most here take anime more seriously here than in Japan, it's a product, to be sold, if the original license holder wants to change it, then that is their right. If the distributor wishes to make changes and are approved that is their right. Nothing about this series or the one your complaining about, is such a minor issue, one that can reasonably and logically be explained, but if you like this series or the one your talking about, support it dont say "Well I'm going to go kill the industry now by watching fansubs." Your voice will carry more weight if you support the product as oppossed to being a non-paying consumer of it.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah, "Well it was a disappointment on the fansubs so I don't have to buy the R1 DVDs" and "OMG 4KIDS HACK JOB"

Rational trains of thought Rolling Eyes

I already know I won't be interested because Noir kicked butt and IMO that's nearly as good as the girls with gun genre gets...I don't need more of the same, especially since this is like Bee Train's crutch
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Ah, "Well it was a disappointment on the fansubs so I don't have to buy the R1 DVDs" and "OMG 4KIDS HACK JOB"

Rational trains of thought Rolling Eyes

The second train certainly is, and I don't see why anyone should be forced to buy a series that they feel isn't worth their money. Honestly, must you keep preaching the same tired sermon in threads that are completely unrelated to it?
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
If they released the soundtracks as well, this would be worth bringing over, but since FUNimation didn't do that with Tsubasa, I highly doubt they're going to do it with Cazador.

Sadly, it seems it was Geneon releasing most of the soundtracks here in the States even if they didn't have the series itself. I bought quite a few anime soundtracks that were released here and almost all of them were from Geneon. I'm very glad that many of their anime titles are being picked up by other companies, but no one else is putting out soundtracks so I think there are going to be very few North American anime soundtrack releases any more. It's really too bad.

I'm fortunate, I guess, that there's a Kinokuniya in Seattle that carries a very respectable selection of import anime soundtracks. It's unfortunate that Japanese CDs go for around $30 each. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
Amazon.com third party sellers are sweet Wink

I got a whole bunch of unreleased OSTs from a seller "ImportCDs" for about the price of a domestic CD plus shipping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6