• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote
Oh boy here we go... I wasn't accusing you of anything. I wasn't calling you a hypocrite. I was just trying to throw a little water on the impending argument and explain that I thought you were misunderstanding his comment. Now you're going to go off on me too though.

Quote:
At least we're on topic though and not just walking in to just spout some pointless "insight", and point fingers, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

We? Have you read your own post?

"Hey, he's perfectly entitled to like the show and have it in his top 10. No one is question yours or your ability to have your own favorites so don't get on someone else for it."

-pointless "insight" and finger pointing.
Check.
-nothing to do with the topic at hand. (what is your top anime)
Check.

I wasn't calling you a hypocrite before. Now I will though. Don't go off topic complaining about something and then get on me for my 'offtopic' response. Plus if you're so worried about being off topic, why don't you just let this go?

Precisionist wrote:
Wow I am surprised my pick of Ergo Proxy caused such controversy. In my limited exposure to anime I had to rate it in my top 10...it's unique world and charactrs were appealing, however it did seem to lack the soul of other anime I've seen like Code Geass and Last Exile.

Maybe they should make a rule n00bs can't post here unless they've seen at least 50 different anime series or something.

After all, they have enough rules on this board site Wink

Don't worry about it man. This is the internet. Controversy is what we do. Wink Besides, if you like Ergo Proxy, you go ahead and like Ergo Proxy. That's totally up to you. Some people might not agree. I didn't like it. Hentai_JP evidently didn't. However, if you watched it and found it to be enjoyable, you have nothing to apologize for.
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Precisionist wrote:
Wow I am surprised my pick of Ergo Proxy caused such controversy. In my limited exposure to anime I had to rate it in my top 10...it's unique world and charactrs were appealing, however it did seem to lack the soul of other anime I've seen like Code Geass and Last Exile.

Maybe they should make a rule n00bs can't post here unless they've seen at least 50 different anime series or something.

You can always edit your post later. Besides, it's good to have some diversity in the top 10 lists in this thread. I've seen a few other people put Ergo Proxy in their top 10.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Precisionist wrote:
Wow I am surprised my pick of Ergo Proxy caused such controversy.

Don't worry, while it's not in my top ten, I did think it was very good.

See... it's a little slow for some people. And to them anything that is slow equals boredom and they can't get into it. The reasons for this vary. From anime fans having zero patience, to some people just like explosions or fanservice and anytime one of those quotients falls below a certain number they can't help but spew forth something foul.

I thought it was among one of the best new releases that year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Precisionist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly for me Ergo Proxy was a refreshing change from anime with 12 year old kids with 500lb swords swinging haymakers from 100 feet in the air.

It seemed more of a mystery than an action show, so I could see the fans used to a fight every 5 minutes being bored.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
See... it's a little slow for some people. And to them anything that is slow equals boredom and they can't get into it. The reasons for this vary. From anime fans having zero patience, to some people just like explosions or fanservice and anytime one of those quotients falls below a certain number they can't help but spew forth something foul.

At the risk of sounding rude, that's a load of bull. If you like Ergo Proxy, that's up to you. Don't go painting anyone who didn't though as having zero patience and not liking anything if it's not filled with fanservice and explosions.

There are certainly a lot of good slower paced anime out there. There are also plenty of bad slow paced anime out there. Just because someone thinks Ergo Proxy is the latter hardly means they're incapable of appreciating the former.

To me, Ergo Proxy is sort of like a bad version of the original Ghost in the Shell movie (A great example of an anime that is somewhat slowly paced but is still very good). In that regard I don't even hate EP that much. It deserves a lot of credit for looking great with some stylish artwork, setting and character designs or for that matter, just for being vaguely original instead of the usual cookie cutter crap. The major problem however is that it's not even vaguely compelling or intriguing to watch. A good slow paced anime may move slow but it still draws you in and makes you want to watch more. Ergo Proxy does not. It just meanders gloomily along, reciting pretentious, unsubtle philosophy while not really going anywhere or even giving you any reason to want to see what happens next. Hell, maybe if you do watch it long enough it does get good. I watched over half of it though and as far as I'm concerned, something that doesn't get interesting until over half way through is not 'slow paced'. It's bad.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Don't go painting anyone who didn't though as having zero patience and not liking anything if it's not filled with fanservice and explosions.

Not anyone (everyone?). (edit: nor am I saying you or Hentai fall into this category) But you can't deny that a lot of anime fans would fall into that category (this fact is pretty much inarguable, but argue if you must). And the majority of those would not like EP, so it is a factor. You don't like it, fine, I wasn't talking about you because you actually took the time to explain (and did a good job too) why you didn't like it besides just calling it boring and damn the world if they disagree.

I disagree with some of you assertions about EP, but I think it is more a show that you either like and find interesting, or that either one doesn't get (not saying you) or bores you to tears because well, you just are that interested in the subject. Obviously you fall to the latter.

Now it doesn't make my top ten, but I think it is a quality show and it doesn't surprise me it makes a lot of top ten lists. All the volumes were reviewed on ANN (3.3, 3.7, 3.3, 3.3, 3, 3) with an average rating of 3.26 just .04 shy of a B+. That's a solid B. Furthermore the reader ratings have it at a 7.95. Which matches the formal reviews almost perfectly. Which one you listen too, if any, is up to you.

Again, you don't like it, great. That doesn't make you any less of an anime fan, human being or anything, etc. What I don't like is when people come in here and claim that one is crazy if you do like it. I'm not sitting here calling you crazy because you hate it. It's just not your thing.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
To me, Ergo Proxy is sort of like a bad version of the original Ghost in the Shell movie (A great example of an anime that is somewhat slowly paced but is still very good)....I watched over half of it though and as far as I'm concerned, something that doesn't get interesting until over half way through is not 'slow paced'. It's bad.

Amen to that whole post.

Ikillchicken just gave up when he realized futility of further effort, as I should've done the same, since suffering and skipping trough last 1/3 of the series could be described as walking on the field of broken glass: with each step hurting more and more where your only hope is to bear trough to the much anticipated end. Actually it really reminds me of Rideback, though Rideback started even better than Ergo, it eventually too sunk into the depth of "bad". (I can never put together top 10[would be a heart breaking experience], but I think I can manage making bottom 5, I'll consider that.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh boy here we go... I wasn't accusing you of anything. I wasn't calling you a hypocrite. I was just trying to throw a little water on the impending argument and explain that I thought you were misunderstanding his comment. Now you're going to go off on me too though.

Quote:
At least we're on topic though and not just walking in to just spout some pointless "insight", and point fingers, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

We? Have you read your own post?

"Hey, he's perfectly entitled to like the show and have it in his top 10. No one is question yours or your ability to have your own favorites so don't get on someone else for it."

-pointless "insight" and finger pointing.
Check.
-nothing to do with the topic at hand. (what is your top anime)
Check.

I wasn't calling you a hypocrite before. Now I will though. Don't go off topic complaining about something and then get on me for my 'offtopic' response. Plus if you're so worried about being off topic, why don't you just let this go?

Throwing water on the impending argument.....what impending argument? I really don't see how there would be one over such a small comment. You simply assumed there would be one. Plus I was hardly "going off" on him at all. I made a simple suggestion and comment.

As for my post I was commenting on the topic at hand and his post. So how that is OT is really beyond me. I mean I point blank mentioned the topic itself and the comment was directly related to the topic as well. So again...OT how? You didn't mention the topic in any fashion other then to, to quote you, jump on me. I hadn't even planned to mention anything again, nor do I after this in regards to you, about it til you felt the need to dose water everywhere when there was no fire. So to quote you yet again why don't you just let it go? Your water dosing was hardly needed before nor now.

Precisionist wrote:

Well in all fairness the person might have seen only 25 shows (random number) but they could all be master pieces. Or maybe all hentai titles lol. Personally I'd say a rule is the majority of the top 10 have to be titles other then shonen jump titles lol. Ergo proxy though has always here been a more....polarizing titles I've noticed. In most discussions here relating to it, IMO anyways, it seems to carry more fans either one one side strongly or the other. Not that many in the middle. I don't know why honestly but it sure seems to be that way here. Hardly the only title to do that though.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Psycho...Just let it go man.

Dargonxtc wrote:
But you can't deny that a lot of anime fans would fall into that category (this fact is pretty much inarguable, but argue if you must). And the majority of those would not like EP, so it is a factor. You don't like it, fine, I wasn't talking about you because you actually took the time to explain (and did a good job too) why you didn't like it besides just calling it boring and damn the world if they disagree.

Fair enough. A lot of fans are...dumb. You'll get no argument from me on that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who dislike EP for silly reasons even if in my opinion there are also legitimate reasons to dislike it.

Quote:
What I don't like is when people come in here and claim that one is crazy if you do like it. I'm not sitting here calling you crazy because you hate it. It's just not your thing.

Again, fair enough. However, I do think it's reasonable to be rather shocked if people do like an anime you found to be awful.
Precisionist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
Not to get to deep here...

But I think this Ergo Proxy debate and its replies shows a lot of how the world (US particularly) seems to be gravitating towards a view of "if you dont agree with me, you are unintelligent". At least 2 posters have posted that way.

The "classy" response would have been; "I hated Ergo Proxy, but hey if you loved it that's great." Instead it is now a debate over who's an intelligent anime fan and who isnt.

Really sort of sad.

There's a lot of anime in people's top 10s here that I cant understand how anyone over the age of 12 would like...but you dont see me insulting them. I just take it as their individual tastes, for whatever reason, and move on.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Precisionist wrote:
Not to get to deep here...

But I think this Ergo Proxy debate and its replies shows a lot of how the world (US particularly) seems to be gravitating towards a view of "if you don't agree with me, you are unintelligent". At least 2 posters have posted that way.

The "classy" response would have been; "I hated Ergo Proxy, but hey if you loved it that's great." Instead it is now a debate over who's an intelligent anime fan and who isnt.

Really sort of sad.

There's a lot of anime in people's top 10s here that I can't understand how anyone over the age of 12 would like...but you don't see me insulting them. I just take it as their individual tastes, for whatever reason, and move on.

That's fine but "I hated Ergo Proxy, but hey if you loved it that's great" isn't much of a discussion. Talking about the aspects of a series is good, even if opinions are subjective. It is possible to discuss a series objectively but that would require, among other things, design and marketing knowledge from all parties involved in the discussion.

Most people can become hostile in any kind of discussion, after all who doesn't value their own opinion? Even when I talk casually with my friends, opposing views can get a little heated. There is no need to make broad generalizations from this fact.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
That's fine but "I hated Ergo Proxy, but hey if you loved it that's great" isn't much of a discussion.

But this really isn't the place for such a discussion, am I right?

I always thought that this was just a topic where you list (and explain) your Top 10 and least favorite 5 and then leave.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
That's what I thought initially but then people started arguing here so I figured it was ok. It's probably not worth starting a thread for this anyway.
Flik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Precisionist wrote:
But I think this Ergo Proxy debate and its replies shows a lot of how the world (US particularly) seems to be gravitating towards a view of "if you don't agree with me, you are unintelligent". At least 2 posters have posted that way.

Is that a subtle bash at the US? Was that even needed to get your point across? Doubtful.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Okay guys, the Ergo Proxy discussion has reached a level where it needs to have its own thread or be dropped entirely, to avoid dragging this thread any further off-topic.

There's nothing wrong with questioning or disagreeing with someone's picks; but since these are highly subjective lists, take care not to make things too personal.

EDIT: I was out of town for the weekend, so to me, those posts appeared new. I shouldn't have to explain myself on this, but there you have it.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 86 of 122