• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzumori

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Well lets see I figure this would be a good place to make my first post. As you may guess I haven't really broken out into anime that I can't see an TV at first, I'm just now stating to. Anyways my top 10 favorites are:

1. FLCL- Strange to have it as my top but realistically its the series that got me into anime. Until I saw FLCL the only anime I had seen was Pokemon and DBZ neither of which I very much cared for. But once I saw FLCL on Adult Swim I was hooked.

2. Last Exile- I loved the look to this one allot the CGI fit in perfectly with everything. On top of that I thought the storyline to it was top notch and intriguing

3. Vandread- I only recently got into this one (Saw it one Encore). I originally caught it right at the beginning of second stage and was a little lost. I ended up waiting until it restarted at the beginning. The storyline was pretty good but the big part I liked was the characters' colorful personalities, which led to a good series.

4. Samurai Champloo- Awesome style it was almost like Kill Bill somewhat. I really like the characters and the adventures they encountered although at first the basis for the story I felt was a little weak it picked up really fast and got you into it.

5. Neon Genesis Evangelion- I was surprised I liked this considering I'm not a really big Mecha fan but as the series continued the plot so deep I got hooked.

6. Cowboy Bebop- Second Anime I got into after FLCL, awesome style.

7. Excel Saga- Crazy Fun, This series was a great way to kick back after a long day. It's crazyness made it a unique experience.

8. Inuyasha- Who cares if it's hundreds of episodes long still a very addictive series. Once great and unique characters although being so long its sometimes hard to tell where you are.

9. Mezzo-A cool little series. I guess aperently this was a sequel to a hentai? Anyways what this one had going for it was interesting little show by show jobs that kept me interested till the the credits rolled.

10. Full Metal Panic-The best thing I liked about this one was Soske (spelling?) and his comical milaristic reactions to everyday situations. Anyways once again a big hook for me was the characters.

My 5 least favorites:

1.Big O- As I mention under Evangelion I'm not a big Mecha fan so the only way I would have liked Big O is if the I really like the plot behind the Robots but I found myself never really grasping the point of the series over the driving force behind some characters actions. Overall I was left very much Disappointed.

2.Sister Princess-Don't ask what made me start watching this in the first place but I did. The fact other mater was that with the exception of one or two I found that I just could not stand any of the characters. I just could stand to listen to them.

3.Noir- I really really thought I'd like this anime, but I was just not able to for some reason. I guess the reason I have it on my list is mainly because of the unfulfilled expectations I had for this one ( interestingly enough I'm actually really enjoying Madlax though)

4. Pretear-once again another anime that I probably should have realized I wouldnt like before I watched it but hey I had a slow week.

5.Wolf's Rain- I know alot of people probably don't agree with me on this one but this is another anime I came into with high exceptions and was left disappointed. I guess it was partly my fault for setting such high expectations but I just couldn't get into the story mainly because of the characters.

Last edited by Suzumori on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bosque

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Hi

1 - Tenchi Muyo! OVAs: Best characterization in anime ever. Fantastic story and conceptual complexity. Perfect designs and excelent animation (not Akira's level) and music. (technical aspects arent really important but its nice to acclaim your fav. anime.)

2 - Project A-ko: this anme gave me the welcome to the otaku/anime/manga world. A true classic, super-complex mecha designs, super action scenes, great characters, etc.

3 - Otaku no Video: Love this anime. Very inspiring for anime fans and that. The opening Tatakae Otaku! is a true otaku hymn.

4 - Robot Carnival: Spectacular.

5 - Roujin Z: Original and well done. Characterization is fantastic. Super-animation quality and that.

6 - Memories: Spectacular in all ways.

7 - El Hazard: Fantastic story and characters.

8 - Manie Manie: same way as Robot Carnival and Memories but first 2 tales are really weak, the last one saves this from the lot.

9 - Nausicaa: The best from ghibli for my taste and a classic of anime. This was one of the first anime i watched, how not to love it.

10 - Honneamise no Tsubasa: Great concepts and super-well done.

That's it. sorry for bad english.

bye
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

Dragon Ball Series - it's nothing but men fighting and taunting men for 30 episodes and nothing done. Duh.

Since when? While there are ceritan sections that drag on, there's more episodes of adventure and general other-drama to sort of wrangle it out of the way of "30 episodes of men punching each other in the stomach and going "I AM AN ALIEN RAAR"".

Or something.

Super Milk Chan - I don't think this one is even an anime; but, really, it's confusing and I feel the humor is really, really stupid.

Last time I checked it was produced and designed for a Japanese audience, so it is anime. THough yeah, it's just not funny.

Yu-gi-Oh - It's a card game commercial with nothing but those games...really...children's animes are horrible.

Yu-gi-oh was originally designed and marketted and intended towards the same market as Inu Yasha, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist. They're also "children's animes". The main reason those previous three were made was also to sell cards, games, and figures.

Big O - Erm...batman? I don't think there's a story and the mecha robots (which I actually dislike, except if they come out of your head to fight with your guitar...) look stupid. The characters look old-fashioned American style.

Well since it's set in America, wouldn't it make more sense to actually have American-looking characters? How much did you watch? There's a plot and a story, which is constantly there.

Also, since when was Batman anything but a good thing? Not that you disliking anything is a bad thing, but there's just a few glaring innacuracies.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Suzumori wrote:
7. Excel Saga- Crazy Fun

8. Inuyasha

9. Mezzo

10. Full Metal Panic

Houston, we have a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Suzumori

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Suzumori wrote:
7. Excel Saga- Crazy Fun

8. Inuyasha

9. Mezzo

10. Full Metal Panic

Houston, we have a problem.

Thanks I must have lost some of it when I copied it into word to spell check.
EL Guay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Nagisa! You have single-handedly ruined this thread.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
EL Guay wrote:
Thank you, Nagisa! You have single-handedly ruined this thread.

It was ruined before I got here, what with all the charmingly intelligent folk posting such brilliant responses as:

The average visitor wrote:
1. Tirgun
2. Cowboyb BeBop
3. Gungarve
4. Abenobadsh i dunno its name bu it funney
5. gundum wings

least favrites i dunno I HAET DARGON BALL! and pokemon is kinda gay 2.

Or...perhaps you're one of those lovely individuals who's just bitter that the moderators around here demand some level of decency in people's responses?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shunukiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Look everyone....this is a thread to say what their 10 favorite and 5 least favorite Anime are and to explain their position on it. The heated debate that I've read is very uncalled for on a thread like this. If people have problems with communicating with each other they should find a way to resolve it instead of resorting to one insult after another. They should also do it by other means than using this thread(like email for instance). No one likes to see a heated debate and especially not one that has lasted as long as it has. So, please put an end to this debate and get back to the reason why this thread exists in the first place.

When I reply on this again, I want to see this battle of words resolved and post something meaningful on this thread. Ciao.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Since when? While there are ceritan sections that drag on, there's more episodes of adventure and general other-drama to sort of wrangle it out of the way of "30 episodes of men punching each other in the stomach and going "I AM AN ALIEN RAAR"".
Well, I guess the pacing of DBZ isn't for me. You know...the fight is very slow especially since FLCL is one of my favourite animes, and it got a lot more things going on in 6 episodes than DBZ's, say, 20.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Last time I checked it was produced and designed for a Japanese audience, so it is anime. THough yeah, it's just not funny.
Thanks for clarifying.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Yu-gi-oh was originally designed and marketted and intended towards the same market as Inu Yasha, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist. They're also "children's animes". The main reason those previous three were made was also to sell cards, games, and figures.
I don't think Inuyasha, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist's primary purposes are to sell as much trading cards as possible. Still, I guess it's my wording mistake then. However, I still think that Yu-gi-oh sucks. :p

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Well since it's set in America, wouldn't it make more sense to actually have American-looking characters? How much did you watch? There's a plot and a story, which is constantly there.
I watched about 4-5 episodes. It isn't that bad, but what I hate is that it took away Adult Swim time which could've been replaced with other, better anime. Confused And I don't think the Marvel style fits in for an anime. It's just looks...ugly.
Suzumori

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Shunukiya wrote:
Look everyone....this is a thread to say what their 10 favorite and 5 least favorite Anime are and to explain their position on it. The heated debate that I've read is very uncalled for on a thread like this. If people have problems with communicating with each other they should find a way to resolve it instead of resorting to one insult after another. They should also do it by other means than using this thread(like email for instance). No one likes to see a heated debate and especially not one that has lasted as long as it has. So, please put an end to this debate and get back to the reason why this thread exists in the first place.

When I reply on this again, I want to see this battle of words resolved and post something meaningful on this thread. Ciao.

Yeah I came on to the last page (at the time I posted mine) expecteing to see other people favorites but mine and anothers were the only ones everything else was people bickering mainly
EL Guay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
No, sir. I'm not bitter or angry. I started reading this thread to understand what anime people were watching and enjoying. I was extemely satisfied with most of the posts and replies. I was enjoying reading this thread and looking forward to others' posts aswell until all this bickering began. Bickering which you started. People do not post with the intention of having you tear into their thoughts. I'm sure you know a lot about anime and are a true connoisseur of the art, and you have my respect. But not all of us who post can claim that. As a forum moderator you have a duty to lead by example, not by vicious criticism. If a post isn't to your liking just respectfully state what was wrong and post an example of the right way to do it. There's no need to make anyone feel bad or stupid.

Please Nagisa, show your maturity and end all this pointless bickering. Let it all die with this last post. Let this thread go back to it's original topic.
Thank you,

-El Guay
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
EL Guay, you have missed the point. This forum has a stated policy of not allowing list threads. As a moderator, Nagisa acted to limit a clear violation of this rule. Therefore, Nagisa was 100% in the right.

You'd do best to read the rules, yourself.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
EL Guay wrote:
I'm sure you know a lot about anime and are a true connoisseur of the art, and you have my respect. But not all of us who post can claim that.

And yet anyone can simply state "I enjoyed this show because _____ was quite enjoyable and the _______ was well above what I usually see," even if they aren't total experts on the subject. And that's not just me being picky, it was a rule set forth by the moderating team more than a year before I was ever even considered for the job. All I'm doing is enforcing the rules.

EL Guay wrote:
If a post isn't to your liking just respectfully state what was wrong and post an example of the right way to do it.

Um, I DID do that. I pointed out without any harsh words what was wrong in Otaku America's post and he pitched the incredible "superiority complex" tantrum that started all this.

You're blaming me for doing my job, then asking me to do my job. Which is it?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
I watched about 4-5 episodes. It isn't that bad, but what I hate is that it took away Adult Swim time which could've been replaced with other, better anime. Confused And I don't think the Marvel style fits in for an anime. It's just looks...ugly.

Well, considering it's not actually "Marvel Style" (if you were goping to call it anything, Bruce Timm DC-style art would be more appropriate) since the designers actually worked on things such as Ninja Ressurection, the City Hunter films, stuff like that, it's more of a fusion of various pop-art and such. Was it the lack of Anime "comedy" or pantyshots that put you off? Just curious. (no really, while it might come across as a big jerky-jerk kind of thing, I'm just asking. See, I find the designs themselves aren't all that different from any other Anime, except that it's got a closer to reality look to it while keeping fantasy-esque proportions. It's kind of like what Tezuka would have drawn if he were shoving giant noses onto people and what not. )

As to what would constitute better Anime.. more reruns of Bebop? Considering Big O acheived good ratings, allowing even for a second season to be produced, wouldn't that constitute as good, in a way?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Well, considering it's not actually "Marvel Style" (if you were goping to call it anything, Bruce Timm DC-style art would be more appropriate) since the designers actually worked on things such as Ninja Ressurection, the City Hunter films, stuff like that, it's more of a fusion of various pop-art and such.
I wonder what it should be called. I don't know; the characters are weird and old-fashioned looking. It's not fit with the mechas, either. They are...well...I got a Marvel feel when I first saw the mechas. That's not what I'm looking for in an anime.
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Was it the lack of Anime "comedy" or pantyshots that put you off? Just curious. (no really, while it might come across as a big jerky-jerk kind of thing, I'm just asking. See, I find the designs themselves aren't all that different from any other Anime, except that it's got a closer to reality look to it while keeping fantasy-esque proportions. It's kind of like what Tezuka would have drawn if he were shoving giant noses onto people and what not. )
Nah. I don't think the comedy or pantyshots-lackness put me off. After all, my opinion is that FMA's comedy scenes are rather put-off from its overall sad tone (with Ed getting super-deformed very easily and all). And that Winry is an excellent and attractive female character because, among other things, she isn't designed to offer fanservice. I just don't like it. Don't know how to say properly.
Steventheeunuch wrote:
As to what would constitute better Anime.. more reruns of Bebop? Considering Big O acheived good ratings, allowing even for a second season to be produced, wouldn't that constitute as good, in a way?
Bebop is still here so I don't think I need more of it. Wink An example of a better anime is like RahXephon or the (already scheduled, hooray) Neon Genesis Evangelion. Escaflowne would be nice too. Or they could try to license Bleach... (If they did, or you have other news about Bleach in the US, feel free to banish my ignorance. Wink )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 122