• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamescook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Dragonball and Jem was before my time, so I ended up watching Sailor Moon as a boy, getting worried looks from my parents. Sailor Uranus is still my bro.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Oh really? Wow, didn't know that Sailor Moon was big in Canada. I guess the pop references would mean much more to Canada than here. Since Reboot was their show. As always all other countries always get good releases and the US doesn't get jack. No thanks to our limited interests.

It's one of the few shows that actually did better in Canada. But hey, not like Canada ever got things like Tenchi, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Big O, etc. I only knew of them back then because people wouldn't stop talking about them on forums! So I wouldn't say US gets "jack" :p

...oh, and here's another little reference from Reboot. The robot was an old mascot of the Canadian YTV station that Reboot aired on. Of course, this is the original version. The American version had it edited it out. Not that anyone would get it, of course Smile

Haha. That is funny. I remember that scene. Yep you wouldn't find a Canadian animated pop culture reference in a US show. Didn't know that Canada didn't get shows like Tenchi.

Hypeathon wrote:

Yep, just like that. I guess the power of the moon doesn't work here. LOL. Laughing
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

The one thing that interests me is how the movies would be released because with the Italian releases, Dynit was able to get both 16:9 (same as R2J DVD) & 4:3 (same as R1 DVD) versions & release them in 2-disc sets for each film.

Eww, cropping. Laughing

There's always going to be appointment's no matter how it's framed! Animation in particular always gets screwed whenever they do the "Flat Ratio" approach in cinemas.

To clarify one thing Mike Toole said about Sailor Moon's syndication in the US, while I'm not sure what Turner had to do with getting it on USA Network, the show itself for a number of years was handled by a company called "Program Exchange". Much of this company's catelog animation-wise mostly included 60's icons like Rocky & Bullwinkle, Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo, and a few familiar titles like the 80's Dennis The Menace cartoon (though bringing it back to anime, they also had DiC's other import, "Knights of the Zodiac"). Not sure how long they had Sailor Moon for, but here's an archive.org page detailing that show from 2000. Kinda dig the two silly factoids included such as there being 9,000 Sailor Moon fan pages then...
http://web.archive.org/web/20000903052039/http://www.programexchange.com/public/animated/sailormoon.html

Aside from Pioneer and ADV having released SM videos in the past, Disney's "Buena Vista Home Video" also released select episodes of Sailor Moon on VHS as early as '96 I think.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
To clarify one thing Mike Toole said about Sailor Moon's syndication in the US, while I'm not sure what Turner had to do with getting it on USA Network, the show itself for a number of years was handled by a company called "Program Exchange". Much of this company's catelog animation-wise mostly included 60's icons like Rocky & Bullwinkle, Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo, and a few familiar titles like the 80's Dennis The Menace cartoon (though bringing it back to anime, they also had DiC's other import, "Knights of the Zodiac"). Not sure how long they had Sailor Moon for, but here's an archive.org page detailing that show from 2000. Kinda dig the two silly factoids included such as there being 9,000 Sailor Moon fan pages then...
http://web.archive.org/web/20000903052039/http://www.programexchange.com/public/animated/sailormoon.html

I'm not sure about USA myself but Program Exchange was credited during it's broadcast on Cartoon Network and as for it's run before that on syndication, it was actually handled by another company whose name i don't remember at the moment but i do remember them because their logo was a picture of some kind of bird (which i believe was an eagle but it has been so long so i'm not too sure).
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

I'm not sure about USA myself but Program Exchange was credited during it's broadcast on Cartoon Network and as for it's run before that on syndication, it was actually handled by another company whose name i don't remember at the moment but i do remember them because their logo was a picture of some kind of bird (which i believe was an eagle but it has been so long so i'm not too sure).

That might've been the Canadian company involved in the last batch of Sailor Moon R episodes that were dubbed. I remember that seagull in the logo too. The regular 65 episodes just had the DiC logo shown, then the copyright to the English version credited to DiC, then the Program Exchange logo comes in at the end.

EDIT: OK, It was called "Seagull Entertainment", I recall their logo showed up on those last 17 episode just before Program Exchange's logo showed up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8