• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AniZona, March 25-27, 2005

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
http://www.anizona.org

Arizona's first anime convention has announced its latest guest of honor: Amano Yoshitaka.

No, totally serious here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
Amano picks some off-beat places to visit. He had an exhibit in an unknown museum in L.A.'s Chinatown a few years ago.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Now that there is a stickied convention announcements thread, we can nuke this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
His first? NYC show, back in 2000 or so, was at the Angel Orensanz Foundation, not exactly a brand-name venue either. And in any case, isn't he US-based now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
echocharlie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
His first? NYC show, back in 2000 or so, was at the Angel Orensanz Foundation, not exactly a brand-name venue either. And in any case, isn't he US-based now?

That's what I had heard too. I've also heard that he avoids anime conventions, so I know at least one of the things I've heard is wrong. Smile
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
He attended World Fantasy in 1989 in Seattle, as well as a 2000 convention in Albany, Katsucon 6 that same year, and at least one San Diego Comic Con.

He's also slated for WorldCon 2007 in Yokohama as an Artist GoH, so he doesn't avoid all Japan-based cons either.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Katie Bair has cancelled due to a scheduling conflict. However, Yaya Han has been confirmed as a guest.
Juniper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
MiwaSatoshi wrote:
Katie Bair has cancelled due to a scheduling conflict. However, Yaya Han has been confirmed as a guest.

Crying or Very sad Boohoohoo, one less Amerimanga wannabe at a con.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Juniper wrote:
MiwaSatoshi wrote:

:cry: Boohoohoo, one less Amerimanga wannabe at a con.

Ouch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Juniper wrote:

Would you like to explain this to us, please? Rolling Eyes

(FYI: At the time that I wrote this post, I just saw my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes upset #1 Illinois 65-64. GO BUCKS! Very Happy )
Juniper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Juniper wrote:

Would you like to explain this to us, please? Rolling Eyes

(FYI: At the time that I wrote this post, I just saw my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes upset #1 Illinois 65-64. GO BUCKS! Very Happy )

What's there to explain? Nowadays, anime conventions are crawling with web comics artists and these "Amerimanga" folk. At Katsucon, they even had a slew of webcomics people labled as "industry." Last time I checked, webcomics folk were not part of the anime industry. And the last time I checked, Amerimanga was not manga.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Juniper wrote:
biliano wrote:
Juniper wrote:
:cry: Boohoohoo, one less Amerimanga wannabe at a con.

Would you like to explain this to us, please? :roll:

(FYI: At the time that I wrote this post, I just saw my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes upset #1 Illinois 65-64. GO BUCKS! :D )

What's there to explain? Nowadays, anime conventions are crawling with web comics artists and these "Amerimanga" folk. At Katsucon, they even had a slew of webcomics people labled as "industry." Last time I checked, webcomics folk were not part of the anime industry. And the last time I checked, Amerimanga was not manga.

Just because it's difference doesn't mean it's bad. First off, many anime/manga fans are also fans of American comics, so there's no harm in them being there if it's what fans want to see. Second, it's a well-known fact that the average anime fan spends too much time online, and gets exposure to and perhaps enjoys webcomics. Thridly, this is rather hypocritical of you, in a sense. Anime/manga fans are always whining about how anime and manga should be better accepted in the states. Well, these people are accepting is as an art-form, and are trying to spread it. Who are you to complain? :3

I personally don't care for Katie Blair's comics much, just because NHS is as unoriginal and cliche as it gets, but that doesn't mean that all 'amerimanga' and webcomics are bad. Webcomics are great. It gives average people a chance to make comics without having to blow their life's savings on printing. It's a brilliant invention. If you don't like it, then don't buy it/read it, and leave it alone. Free enterprise, woo!

^_^; Sorry, had to defend webcomic creators. :D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Juniper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Thridly, this is rather hypocritical of you, in a sense. Anime/manga fans are always whining about how anime and manga should be better accepted in the states. Well, these people are accepting is as an art-form, and are trying to spread it. Who are you to complain? :3

Not really. I've never once said that anime and manga should be accepted in the states, so I can't really be said to be a hypocrite. There's a difference between accepting it as an art-form, and *copying* it.

I'm fine if they just want to draw big eyes and wild hair. Whatever. It's what they're familiar with, because they read a lot of manga, and they like it. Fine. There are plenty of artists who do that. But it starts to irritate me when their Amerimanga starts using Japanese names and Japanese locales. Is that really necessary? No. Then it's no longer just using the manga style to convey your stories-- it's people wanting so badly to create "manga" that they go out of their way to ape it.

There's an Amerimanga"out there named Lady Star. The characaters have Japanese names, call each other -chan and -san, and even sprinkle Japanese phrases into their dialogue. That's not accepting the art-form... that's flat out copying it, to the extreme.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's an Amerimanga"out there named Lady Star. The characaters have Japanese names, call each other -chan and -san, and even sprinkle Japanese phrases into their dialogue. That's not accepting the art-form... that's flat out copying it, to the extreme.

Good point, that's dumb. But don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch, there are plenty of great comics - well, most being webcomics - that are made by westerners in the manga style. A book called Peach Fuzz just came out, Tokyopop released it. It's a cute story by an American (someone who won their RSOM contest, I think) that has nothing to do with Japanese culture at all. There's good apples in the bunch too.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I was curious if anyone made it to this event. It's a real crime that I live in the town it was held in, and didn't go, but I had to work through that weekend. Was it up to snuff, with other conventions? I have never been to an anime convention, and I hope to cut my teeth, convention-wise next year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2