• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kunio Katō's 'La Maison en Petits Cubes' Wins Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow, Japan is representing tonight: they just got Best Foreign Film, too!

You beat me to it. Wink They rarely get recognized, so this is cool. (Won for Departures)

Yeah, it's the 12th nomination but only first win, which surprised me, I thought for certain Kurosawa had won at some point in the past.
http://oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/?pn=detail&nominee=Departures%20-%20Foreign%20Language%20Nominee
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
[Mod edit: Someone doesn't get it. This isn't a "Lets listen to GATSU b***h about American Industries" thread, so if that's all your going to add then you're done here. Move along, shows over. Say something that's actually relevant and not more of your insanely bias banter.]
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
pparker wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

You beat me to it. Wink They rarely get recognized, so this is cool. (Won for Departures)

Yeah, it's the 12th nomination but only first win, which surprised me, I thought for certain Kurosawa had won at some point in the past.
http://oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/?pn=detail&nominee=Departures%20-%20Foreign%20Language%20Nominee

Well, technically you could count Rashomon:

RASHOMON (1951) -- Honorary Foreign Language Film Award.

"To Rashômon [Japan] - voted by the Board of Governors as the most outstanding foreign language film released in the United States during 1951. [statuette]."

I suppose it says something that the Academy was impressed enough to give an award to Kurosawa before they had the Best Foreign Film category. Maybe it even helped that category get created. They did not give multiple awards, either, so technically Kurosawa got the Oscar for Best Foreign Film.

Japan received the same award two other times:

SAMURAI, THE LEGEND OF MUSASHI (1955) -- Honorary Foreign Language Film Award
GATE OF HELL (1954) -- Honorary Foreign Language Film Award

Last edited by pparker on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah I feel like I need to see Departures and La Maison en Petits Cubes now.
I bet we could argue all day though about how many anime films could beat the pants off of Pixar if they were given the respect they deserve but it doesn't work that way. If it did we could be looking at an Eva 2.0 nomination if it reaches the greatness of the part of the show it's adapting.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Also understand this is an anime forum, populated by anime fans, so obviously that's going to be a popular opinion. However, popular opinion on the part of a loyal fanbase doesn't make it true. Personally, I would completely disagree with, I think very few anime would have stood a chance on level ground. To each their own though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

this is almost like an upset. everyone expected "Waltz with Bashir" to win especially with the Gaza incident that happened just a while ago.

so wow, big win for Japan tonight. (Hollywood, be haunted by that Japanese guy's words lol, "we will be back" lol.)
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Yeah I feel like I need to see Departures and La Maison en Petits Cubes now.
I bet we could argue all day though about how many anime films could beat the pants off of Pixar if they were given the respect they deserve but it doesn't work that way. If it did we could be looking at an Eva 2.0 nomination if it reaches the greatness of the part of the show it's adapting.

What disappoints me, just a personal opinion, is the predominance of 3D CG. Frankly, Wall-E was the only one that impressed me at on a technical level. The others looked pretty low quality. I'm happy that La Maison en Petits Cubes won, because it is more classic animation.

I would love to see Evangelion, or some of the other high quality anime, be considered. But the Academy seems dominated by the "cool" technology that Pixar and Disney employ for features.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Also understand this is an anime forum, populated by anime fans, so obviously that's going to be a popular opinion. However, popular opinion on the part of a loyal fanbase doesn't make it true. Personally, I would completely disagree with, I think very few anime would have stood a chance on level ground. To each their own though.

I'm not saying every DBZ movie and 80's OVA should stand a chance but stuff like Paprika, Perfect Blue, All of those non nominated Miyazaki movies, 5cm Per Second.
Stuff like that. Movies that you would recommend on the basis that they are good movies and not just good anime.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
I bet we could argue all day though about how many anime films could beat the pants off of Pixar if they were given the respect they deserve but it doesn't work that way.

did you see the other nominees in the Animation Short category? at least this Japanese traditional art beat out all that CGI and special visual effects, yeah? Very Happy

i also find it amusing (in the sarcastic and disappointed sense, mind you) how none of the Japanese feature films even made it in the 2008 animation montage, lol.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Next year, Ponyo will almost certainly be nominated, but I wouldn't expect to see any more anime in the Best Animated Feature category after that until Hayao Miyazaki makes another film due to total lack of mainstream exposure of non-Miyazaki anime films, and that's not going to change in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
The problem for anime films is:

"The award is only given if there are at least eight animated feature films (with a theatrical release in Los Angeles). "

Since it's a U.S. award, not foreign, the film has to play in LA theaters. Unless a major studio licenses it, that's unlikely. The licensee has to consider whether or not the investment--possibly even having to pay for play ("renting the theater")--will give them any chance at being nominated.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
I bet we could argue all day though about how many anime films could beat the pants off of Pixar if they were given the respect they deserve but it doesn't work that way.

did you see the other nominees in the Animation Short category? at least this Japanese traditional art beat out all that CGI and special visual effects, yeah? Very Happy

i also find it amusing (in the sarcastic and disappointed sense, mind you) how none of the Japanese feature films even made it in the 2008 animation montage, lol.

I think that might be asking for too much. This really is the only chance anime or anything having to do with it gets to shine in america though so I guess we should be happy. Japanese music gets ignored in the international categories at the Grammys, Naruto can't even win a Kids Choice Award Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop so we always hope that we get at least one Academy Award nomination.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Zanarkand Princess, while I won't make a blanket statement about all Pixar versus all of the anime industry (for instance, I do think either Oshii or Kawajiri deserved the 2000 Oscar) I will say that Wall-E is probably the MOST deserving animated film in several years.

Aside from that, honestly Pixar's films maintain a truly impressive level of writing quality and cleverness that's wholly enjoyable. The Toy Story movies, for instance, are some of the most emotional animated films I can think of.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
The problem for anime films is:

"The award is only given if there are at least eight animated feature films (with a theatrical release in Los Angeles). "

Since it's a U.S. award, not foreign, the film has to play in LA theaters. Unless a major studio licenses it, that's unlikely. The licensee has to consider whether or not the investment--possibly even having to pay for play ("renting the theater")--will give them any chance at being nominated.

Not only that, but even those that do make themselves eligible by playing in LA often do so by having an incredibly limited screening, to the point where next to no one gets the chance to see them. It's rather difficult for the Academy to nominate a film whose existence they're barely aware of. I'd put the blame squarely on the domestic distributors, but I realize that, unless you're Disney pushing Ghibli, putting on the sort of widespread release that's necessary for mainstream exposure is about as cost-ineffective as it gets.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
I agree that Wall-E deserved the award. It was a good movie and had a theme familiar to many anime fans.....Robot love Wink

But wasn't there a theatrical release of Ponyo planned for when it comes out here? If that's the case then odds are it will get a nomination especially if Pixar and Dreamworks aren't so busy. Then again Disney does have a new princess movie coming out this year right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6