• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Tatsunoko, Marvel Aim for Joint TV Anime in 3 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
TheCrushinator wrote:
GeneralArrow wrote:
This, is actually good news its nice to see the markets coming together. I just hope it doesn't lead to marvel buying out japanese studios.

It's only good if Marvel can learn to let one writer write a story with a beginning, a middle and an end without giving it to ten other writers for do-overs. Marvel has squandered its properties by not allowing characters to grow and change. They rarely kill off a main character and always resurrect them, eventually. How long before we see a cover boasting "THE TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF THE ORIGINAL CAPTAIN AMERICA!" ?

Course, is this why we have Japanese comics to thank for their attention to continuity that was never a given in our western tastes.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
Tatsunoko is undergoing quite a revival nowadays. First with Capcom's TvC game, then with Madhouse's Casshern Sins, and now with this upcoming joint TV anime. Plus, Yatterman has been doing well ratings wise.

Tatsunoko will probably be handling most of the animation since they're aiming specifically for an anime style. This is a huge project when you consider the length and scope of popularity of these two companies in their respective countries. Overall though, this project is an interesting concept but I'm still not sold until I see some previews.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

I mean sure Afro Samurai's story is neither unique or original. It's a very traditional samurai story, one of revenge. But it makes up for it in style, in spades.

Is anybody, even anime or manga fans, even familiar with the original Japanese Afro Samurai? For all we know, the American productions improved on it. Laughing
kyoukix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
Though I would much rather have loved to see DC and Tatsunoko, I'm not too picky. The idea of Casshern teaming up with Iron Man does make my Otaku-sense tingle. Anime smile

I was thinking about that too. I wonder what kind of crossovers could produce this joint venture.

For example I think Casshern and Spiderman could do a good team and Tekkaman & Ironman an interesting crossover.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
It would be very interesting to see what they can come up with.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
letniinside wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well, maybe DC and Shueisha could team up or something. I would love to see Superman designed by Akira Toriyama.

yeah, that would be called UGLY.
Have you seen dragonball? Blue Dragon anime? Horrible UGLINESS....

If you really want akira toriyama to involve in superman, he must redone the whole superman story. Akira is not good in drawings but he has a creative mind (story concepts).

If you're that in love with akira... reality check... get out in your room & go to school or have a job.

There's a lot of mangaka out there who draws much better than toriyama.
eg. Kubo Tite (Bleach), obata takeshi (Death Note, Bakuman, Blue dragon ral grad)

Enough with collaboration with US-Japan studios.
Have seen Afro Samurai? that's the result, HORRIBLENESS TO THE MAX-INFINITE.
Hopefully the tatsunuko-marvel tie up will not end like AFRO SAMURAI- TOTAL NO BRAINERS.

you sir, apparently you have no true taste. Did you forget in Dragonball Z, Goku's origin is similar to Superman (they both escape from a doom planet, they both have father who tried to warn of the planet impending doom, they both fight for truth justice and the well "universal good guy way"). Beside Toriyama drawing is very unique and I think he may have read enough Superman comic to either come up with a story or a retelling. Oh by the way, Afro Samurai was the coolest anime I have ever seen.

Vicserr wrote:

I would love it if Marvel can turn this mecha into a anime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Ronin

I would love it if they make it into a anime. It could give mecha anime a super huge popularity since Gundam and Transformers. I want this anime to pay homage to a lot of mecha anime even some that are not familiar to American people. I want Yoshiyuki Tomino and Go Nagai to team up to direct this anime (and oh, no kill em all style, please).

Cain Highwind wrote:
The funny thing is, they've BOTH worked with Capcom. I had heard that at one time Capcom was interested in making Marvel vs Capcom vs DC but that never worked out. Maybe there's a chance we'll see Marvel vs Capcom vs Tatsunoko instead. Oh man...

Whoa for real. They wanted a Marvel vs Capcom vs DC game. Wow, I guess that would have been better then Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (waiting to see MK vs Street Fighter).

kyoukix wrote:
I was thinking about that too. I wonder what kind of crossovers could produce this joint venture.

For example I think Casshern and Spiderman could do a good team and Tekkaman & Ironman an interesting crossover.

That would be intresting ideas. But maybe not a chance, but very creative though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Vicserr wrote:

I would love it if they make it into a anime. It could give mecha anime a super huge popularity since Gundam and Transformers. I want this anime to pay homage to a lot of mecha anime even some that are not familiar to American people. I want Yoshiyuki Tomino and Go Nagai to team up to direct this anime (and oh, no kill em all style, please).

The only in-continuity remnants of the Shogun Warriors/ Godzilla comic books... those were the good old days;)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Vicserr wrote:

The only in-continuity remnants of the Shogun Warriors/ Godzilla comic books... those were the good old days;)

I know, he was created to fight Godzilla. He was shown in a lot of Marvel Comics, But now I think Marvel should revive him as a Mecha anime (and also maybe a OEL manga). It would be cool to see him fighting giant monsters a la classic mecha anime like Mazinger, Getta robo, Raideen, and other mecha anime. That's why I want Marvel to make a Red Ronin to serve as a homage to Super Robot anime. If Marvel allowed Tatsunoko to put Fin Fang Foom and Galaticus in the anime. The fight should be epic as any mecha anime. I don't what villain they can put in the anime, but if they can come up with something original, it'll be far out. I want Marvel to put a lot of homages, references, and nods to Super Robot anime.

For Example:

-Red Ronin shoot laser out of his eye, fire rocket punch, shoot breast fire a la Mazinger Z.
-Red Ronin turns into a blue flame and shoot it a la Getta Shine and Shine Spark from Getter Robo.
-wield Samurai Sword, and lance a la Zambot 3.
-Red Ronin also shoot arrows and bow is a light a la Raideen. Also the main character will be picked up by Ronin via beam and "meld" into the surface to enter the cockpit.
-The main character who pilot him can call him out a la the Big O.
-the main character feeling, emotion, and courage also effect Red Ronin combat, and spirit also effect Red Ronin a la Gurran Lagann.
-the main character's cell phone ringtone will be Getta Robo theme.

If this anime does well. It can have a season 2 it would take place in space and have a new Red Ronin who will resemble more to Gurran Lagann but the arm length resemble Ideon from Space Runway Ideon. Red Ronin advanced (as I like to call him) will be as powerful as both Gurran Lagann and Ideon. I like to see more mecha anime homage in a Marvel-produced mecha anime.

Oh man, Marvel, if they make it then the mecha anime will have it's high popularity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2