• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for seinen titles like Black Lagoon / Monster.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l2anime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
hi,
i must first explain that although i like animation films for adults and absolutely loved black lagoon (which to this day is the only anime series i ever watched to the end and loved) and i liked blood: the last vampire and monster (which i am currently half way through), i have some issues with anime in general.

there always seems to be some pseudo-philosophical aspect and monologue that bothers me. i'm not sure if you know what i mean. sometimes characters ponder the meaning of life in an ongoing inner monologue, which is usually the point where i zone out completely. this element is of course also present in black lagoon and monster, but still it paces like a western made action flick, which is very engaging.

i am looking for exactly THAT. i know that that is just the way japanese mangas and anime are told, but maybe there are a few pearls out there that are not so big on the philosophy and just try to tell a story in pictures instead of all the talking.

are there any anime out there like that? a friend of mine is very much into anime but aside from monster hasn't been able to recommend anything to me, that would apply to my very complicated preferences.

here's what i loved about BL:
- the heroine is beautiful, yet strong and edgy and also very violent
- the action is nothing for children, very intense and well paced
- the setting and plot are very believable. crime syndicates, mob bosses, mercenaries, corrupt police, smuggling and shooting. FIN!

and here what i do not like so very much about most other shows:
- high pitch voice, short skirted, pink haired girls, forgivable but mood killing
- long haired, milk skinned, androgynous guys, never
- most interpretations of any godlike figure, usually part of extreme supernatural goofyness and overuse of philosophy

I MUST ADMIT THAT i don't know many animes and that i can't be bothered to buy 100-issue manga series. i just want good animated action movies, maybe thrillers as an alternative to live action movies. i like the style of anime films and series but that strangeness in most of them turns me off. i have no problem with deep and meaningful stories, it's just the way it is usually brought across.

i researched a bit online, mostly wiki or some other sites, which is how i found out about the seinen or shonen genres. i tried a few shows but none ever got close to black lagoon or monster.

i watched gantz to some extent, until it got too goofy and one other show i can't remember with chicks in skirts using huge guns. i am now getting evangelion (saw a few episodes on tv once), hoping that it will not be too full of that asian style storytelling. Smile

hoping for some recommendations

regards,

L2

p.s.: i know i'm being difficult. which is why i would be all the more thankful for any recommendation at al..

Last edited by l2anime on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Normally we do not allow individual recommendation threads as a matter of policy; see the Anime Hunting stickied thread, above. However, you're looking for a very specific subset of action series, and our approved Action thread may be too vague, so I'll be a bit lenient here.

First off, that "pseudo-philosophical" aspect that you mention is hardly specific to anime and manga; it is seen a lot in Western comic books, too. That being said, the series that you have just walked into - Neon Genesis Evangelion - is one of the poster children for such series; in fact, calling it the defining series of that type would be literally as well as figuratively accurate. You might like it anyway, as it handles that in a manner significantly differently from the kinds of series that I think you're talking about (and it is widely-considered one of the top series of the '90s), but be sure you're aware of what you're getting into.

The kind of mature, action-oriented, nothing-supernatural, not-very-philosophical fare that you're talking about is actually fairly rare in anime. Golgo 13 might suit your tastes, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex almost certainly would if you don't mind a futuristic setting. (Stay away from the movies Ghost in the Shell and especially Ghost in the Shell II: Innocence if you want to avoid the deeply-entrenched philosophical stuff, however.) Any version of Appleseed would probably also work, as would Kite and, for that matter, Noir.

There are a few others, but again, the "no supernatural" and "no pseudo-philosophy" restrictions are big limiting factors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
l2anime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
wow. sorry. i must have missed the sticky, so i appologize.

yeah. i figured that nge might not fit my description, but as i have seen it on tv, i decided to get it anyway.

and the reason i posted is specifically, because i also got to the conclusion that i may be looking for something that isn't produced in abundance. because i don't normally create forum accounts only to ask for recommendations. normally, i check the internet myself. i just ran into a dead end here, so i'm asking for assistance. Smile

i saw trailers for appleseed (which imdb suggested to me) and i was thinking about it, too. appleseed and apple seed ex machine, in fact.

the problem with supernatural elements is not in the supernatural per se but again in the way it usually comes across. as a matter of fact i DID like blood: the last vampire, but i did NOT like hellsing.

Last edited by l2anime on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcsinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Flag is a one that should meet your criteria, I'll add others if something comes to mind.

Now that I have had a bit to think - your taste sounds similar to mine, so here's a few you might find interesting in addition to Key's excellent suggestions:

Afro Samurai
Bacanno
Basilisk
Claymore (maybe - meets most criteria)
Gankutsuou - adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo
Darker than Black
Full Metal Panic (another maybe, but worth a look - there are 3 seasons)
Spice and Wolf (not action oriented, but definitely aimed at a more mature audience)
Kami-sama Dolls
Kami-sama no Memo-chou
tocahan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
If you can find it, Black Magic M66 would fit the bill. It's from the late 80's, so you find that it looks a bit dated. I'm also going to suggest checking out Now & Then, Here & There. It's definitely for adults and there is action in it, but it might not be to your taste.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
wsinn, most of the series you mentioned have distinct supernatural/super-powered elements to them, and he wasn't looking for that. Of the ones you listed, that cuts out Baccano!(although admittedly the supernatural elements are mild), Basilisk (heavily dependent on them), Claymore (also heavily dependent), and Darker Than Black (super-powered), and Spice and Wolf, besides having some (admittedly mild) supernatural elements, also has very little traditional action. The Full Metal Panic! franchise doesn't qualify as content aimed at more mature audiences, and Heaven's Note Pad (i.e., Kami-sama no Memochou) both had the same problem and wasn't particularly action-oriented. Gankutsuou is a more mature series but action is more incidental.

Flag might be a good option as long as the OP doesn't mind politically-oriented commentary. So would Black Magic M66. Now and Then, Here and There focuses on younger characters and isn't especially action-focused, so I'm not sure how that would go over, but it's still worth watching.

And remember, guys n' gals, the restriction on listing hasn't been listed just because I've allowed this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I can give you a few tips for starters, for instance, check out the pages for the series you like. You may notice some patterns, for instance all the ones were mentioned liking were animated by Madhouse Studios. After noting this, my main suggestion would be to look through the Madhouse Encyclopedia page to find shows of a similar caliber and style since you seem to like the way they do things. Madhouse has done a lot of great work so you should be able to find some. They're my favorite anime studio actually.

Then under genres in the pages, if you click a genre it will bring you to a page with some recomendations.

Otherwise, I maintain this personal list derived of titles I've deemed complex enough to be enjoyed by an average adult, which could also be somewhat useful.
l2anime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
i just watched kite and i liked it. sadly it was just a german edited dvd and very short but i am looking forward to the sequel. also gonna check on noir and golgo.

key: yeah i sorta ruled out the supernatural because most of the time it's just so wacky. to me it's most important that something is presented in a believable fashion. so yeah, i also like sci-fi or futuristic settings. of those listed spice and wolf would not meet those criteria, but maybe darker than black will. time will tell.

after all in kite spoiler[sawa falls down from a building and crashes not only through a bridge but also through the street into a subway station, only with the force of two people falling down a few stories.] that's extreme but it doesn't push it too far. i'm not a physics professor yelling at the tv, when something like this happens. Smile

and if you say that, for example, Baccano! has only mild supernatural elements, i am going to give it a chance, especially since 1930s american mobster wars are amongst the most awesome settings in existence.

from those listed i am also going to check on afro samurai, maybe Black Magic M66(synopsis sounds a bit far stretched to me but okay) and definitely flag. from other sources i was lead to mezzo forte, which also seems a bit wacky but seeing as it comes from the same guy as kite, it may be worth a shot. also somebody insisted that i watch akira. and although it starts strong, the ending really was too crazy for me. hehe

well anyway, folks. i must thank you for putting together this list with some pieces of art that i will probably enjoy. thanks for putting up with my being so selective. Smile

@ kruszer: thanks, man. yeah i actually came across madhouse on wiki once after watching black lagoon and death note. i totally forgot about that. maybe i find something on there. it's a very long list. also thanks for the other list.
Yupa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
Oh, you'll definately love Baccano. It's full of action, though it might be a bit confusing the first time because of the large cast. The first episode is a bit confusing as well, though the story doesn't really start until the second episode.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
@ kruszer: thanks, man. yeah i actually came across madhouse on wiki once after watching black lagoon and death note. i totally forgot about that. maybe i find something on there. it's a very long list. also thanks for the other list.

Yeah, they're well established and have been making quality anime for decades now. Although, you can narrow it down by only looking at the ones that list them for "Animation Production", "Production", or "Animation" where they had the greatest involvement.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
l2anime, if you liked Black Lagoon I would also highly recommend you keep an eye out for Funimation's upcoming release of Michiko & Hatchin which is about an ex-convict mother and her daughter's adventures across South America; it has less action than Black Lagoon and "wanders" more often, but it's still really good and is the closest "Black Lagoon vibe" that I can think of. One of the main characters is a kid, but it's not really a kid's show--there's some pretty rough violence, and things are played a little more down-to-earth than in Black Lagoon. Personally I think this was the best anime series made between 2008 and 2010.

Also, go watch the movie REDLINE as soon as possible. Trust me. Every bit as fun as Black Lagoon, if not more, with Madhouse movie budget production values.

Other than that, though, yeah, Key's right... there's not a lot that meets your criteria. Black Lagoon and Monster are pretty unique among anime, which is kind of a shame.

If your problem with supernatural action is that it's whacky and the rules surrounding the supernatural powers are not well defined, then I'd stay far away from Darker than Black, because that show asspulls so many silly powers it's impossible to take seriously. The show's premise is neat and it does have some good action, but it's basically an anything-goes-just-because thing with a really poorly handled plot. Drove me nuts. YMMV.

If you're open to sci-fi, I'd recommend checking out the classic Cowboy Bebop, as well. It's episodic and has got its goofy moments, and a lot of the time (not all the time) the action is tame, but it's still fun.

I'll also back the recommendation for Baccano, just be patient with that first episode because the first episode is boring and confusing.

I could list some other titles that I think might fit one or two of your criteria but not all, if you'd like.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Gungrave. It's about two street rats joining the mafia.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Has been mentioned, but I will also suggest the movie Redline...a very visually told story and very entertaining - If you need a reason for anime on Blu-Ray this is it! Not as fond of the English dub as the Japanese dub/English Subtitles though.

Though more political in nature due to different factions fighting for power/control I would also recommend the movie Jin-Roh: It's Love story gone wrong...a retelling of Red Riding hood in a different manner.

There is also Sword of the Stranger which is a well done samurai/action movie with lots of spectacular animation fight sequences...

Another movie which is like the cross between Die Hard meets Jason Bourne and Raider of the Lost ark is Spriggan... violent and actiony all the way through.

For series the only thing I think that comes close would be Ghost In the Shell: SAC and Ghost In the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig , though it's more about future tech and how far you can go and still be a person... but it's serious and well done with nice action evenly paced throughout. And Revy would be owned by the Major... not really a fair fight for Revy though. Look up "gratuitous violets" for a great video comparison of Revy and the Major...

Cowboy Bebop would be worth a watch as is Samurai Champloo if you are looking for more comedy with a semi-historical Japanese slant.

If it weren't for the philosophical content I would have recommended Ergo Proxy for a mature detective style show with some action, but it it really a philosophical show about characters on a journey to discover/rediscover their selves that has some action scenes.

I'm not sure how this show would exactly fit within your tastes, but I would like to mention it anyways because it is something from the past few years that is one of my favorites and does a great job of mixture of action, comedy, and suspense in a title that borders mostly on the seinen side of things - especially the second season which is MA for a very good reason. This title is Birdy the Mighty: Decode - it's kind of like Men in Black meets Wonder Woman...but with a whole lot of heart and soul.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Half way through re-watching Gungrave again for the first time since it aired and loving it, great storytelling and wonderfully paced. I personally think it's a better show than Bebop and Black Lagoon (except for the admittedly cruddy animation), it is criminally underrated.

I would also like to +1 Redline and Stand Alone Complex, and throw in a little Paranoia Agent too.
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:
Half way through re-watching Gungrave again for the first time since it aired and loving it, great storytelling and wonderfully paced. I personally think it's a better show than Bebop and Black Lagoon (except for the admittedly cruddy animation), it is criminally underrated.
Gungrave does have a great storyline and cast but it has definite supernatural/superpowered/magicscience elements that the OP indicated a distaste for, which is why I didn't bring it up. I mean, what Dalvyn said is true, but at the same time Gungrave is also about spoiler[a sentient zombie fighting a bunch of supermutant biological experiment things with crazy powers], so......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2