• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Straining Your I"s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krownklown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
-look harem style shows are not for everyone, i like them and subsequently i like love hina and still do; the parts I've read of the manga are alright but personally i dont feel there is that big of a difference between them; but ill agree if i was keitaro i would have backhanded naru a long time - then again like someone said women with reason or taking responsiblity for the own actions, its rare enough in real life let alone in harem Wink

-but stfu about the dubs already, do you have eyes in expletive head, its called watch it with expletive subtitles, the original japanese voice actors are just fine; youd think people who like anime would have the ability to watch something subtitled
-im not saying you have to be some purist and watch only sub titled, but when a dub track is your sole reason for not watching something or your major complaint - just like the writer of shelf life your credibility shoots out the window (see below)

-that being said i really dont take shelf to seriously to begin with i only look at the collections page, but whoever rights the column is the typical bandwagon anime fan, that only likes the shiny hyped series, and even then I've seen a couple of times where shows that might be considered high quality from even none anime fans get rental worthy or below (o my my, look at me, im a big shot who rights a weekly column on animenewsnetwork my opinion gotta be worth something)

ps- this is not so much a gripe about love hina but about the column as whole, i was just to lazy to bother figuring out how to get back into my account to complain before
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
krownklown wrote:
-that being said i really don't take shelf to seriously to begin with i only look at the collections page, but whoever rights the column is the typical bandwagon anime fan, that only likes the shiny hyped series

Really? Because in this instance in particular I see her enjoying Strain, a ridiculously underwatched series, and disliking Darker Than Black, a series that nearly everyone I speak to enjoyed across the board. Maybe you're reading the wrong column. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Tgeahre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm Glad that others in this forum are posting similar things about the Love Hina review as I am. Love Hina, the Manga by Ken Akamatsu, was gorgeous and spectacular. It was when and where Akamatsu really picked up the pace with his backgrounds and story lines.
Bamboo Dong seems almost guilt-ridden saying that he almost hating it, but he is right. the Anime was SOO bad that after leaving my anime collection with some friends, I recommended that they not watch that one. None of my collection is bad enough to say that except for this one series.
The only reason I have it is because it is by Ken Akamatsu and I loved Love Hina that much. I even have the fist Negima series, despite it's shortcomings, just because of that one reason.

Don't ever apologize for disliking an anime. Chances are, it was made because the Manga was just THAT good.

Tgeahre
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I recently previewed Strain on FUNi's video service and thought it was terrible. As for the others, I have I"s on preorder and I'm waiting for a DTB box set. I do agree that Love Hina was crap, though.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I find it kind of funny that everyone complains about Kitsune having a Texan accent and while that did annoy me to a degree there are plenty of other series out there in which they did the same thing but are considered a very good dub. For example Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi almost every character has that accent yet alot of people feel the dub for the show is great and fits perfectly.

Over all Love Hina had it's problems with it's dub but it is also not nearly as bad as alot of people have been making it out to be.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I agree entirely on the view on Love Hina. The manga was at least balanced with comedy and character development on top of minor plot advancements here and there, making it much more enjoyable and tolerable in its length...

Aside from Chrono Crusade, it is the one and only series I will ever say without a doubt, that the manga is superior.

Last edited by Kyogissun on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Craeyst Raygal, and LiuXuande, this is the reason that cringe whenever the "Classic" tag is put on anything. Very few things ever appeal so broadly and forever to be called that. I know people that react violently to Tenchi as well... personally I never liked Maison that much... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ heh, watch them all and then decide...

My perspective is surely skewed, since Tenchi was the first harem I watched. But I personally have compared most of the harem anime I've watched afterwards to that, so I guess it is a bit of bias.

Quote:
and LiuX... rightstuf has all 1, 2, and 4 for only $8 each... I bought them just so that the backstok would go away, and they would consider putting them out again. I can't figure out why they have not. Probably some strange contractural snafu.

LiuXuande wrote:
... that Disc 3 is impossibly rare/expensive
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I find it kind of funny that everyone complains about Kitsune having a Texan accent and while that did annoy me to a degree there are plenty of other series out there in which they did the same thing but are considered a very good dub. For example Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi almost every character has that accent yet alot of people feel the dub for the show is great and fits perfectly.

I think Sasshi's cowboy hat helped a little Wink

To be honest though, Kitsune just doesn't seem like a character that should have a southern accent. I know she speaks in the Kansai dialect, but she should have been given a much more laid back sounding voice, rathern than a (poor) southern accent.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
Tgeahre wrote:

Bamboo Dong seems almost guilt-ridden saying that he almost hating it, but he is right. the Anime was SOO bad that after leaving my anime collection with some friends, I recommended that they not watch that one. None of my collection is bad enough to say that except for this one series.

;_______; She. I'm a she.

krownklown wrote:
-that being said i really don't take shelf to seriously to begin with i only look at the collections page, but whoever rights the column is the typical bandwagon anime fan,

No, you're totally write. I only like Naruto and Bleach. <3
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Ah, I remember when Love Hina towel statues sold for US$125... Laughing

SakechanBD wrote:
Tgeahre wrote:

;_______; She. I'm a she.

Makes for a good San Fernando handle though, says a friend of mine who was briefly involved in the industry.... Laughing

SakechanBD wrote:
krownklown wrote:
-that being said i really don't take shelf to seriously to begin with i only look at the collections page, but whoever rights the column is the typical bandwagon anime fan,

No, you're totally write. I only like Naruto and Bleach. <3

That doesn't sound rite.... Laughing

BTW, another friend keeps wondering when Viz is finally gonna do right by Video Girl Ai....
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
Wow. Think is the first time I've seen anyone say anything good about souko no strain o,o;;

course that's prolly because I share opinions along this line of though >.>

(review was on a site that provided links to downloads so I rehosted the text; credit goes to teferi456 for writing it; obviously it has some spoilers).

Reibooi wrote:

Over all Love Hina had it's problems with it's dub but it is also not nearly as bad as alot of people have been making it out to be.

She had a Kansai-ben accent right? Isn't it pretty standard practice to use a southern accent for that in a dub o,o?

Don't see the big deal though. I can't say I've seen a good dub for a series like love hina. It generally turns into a squeak/squak fest >.<

EDIT: oop somehow missed Megiddo's post o,o
Amaya no Hime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Amaya no Hime wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Quote:
Darker than Black [...] mildly awful soundtrack
Really? Really?
Quote:
The animation isn't particularly impressive
This too. Bones? high budget? Not impressive?

I really must agree with this. Darker than Black's soundtrack is composed by Yoko Kanno. I'm pretty sure most people agree she's one of the best anime composers.

It's been a while since I saw DtB, but I do remember being stunned by the animation. They put in a lot of detail even where it wasn't really necessary.

Just because it's Kanno, doesn't mean it's good. ;p I certainly didn't care for it. Then again, I've actually never been a big Kanno fan, which puts me in the minority.

I own the OST, and I enjoyed it so much that I even learnt a lot of the piano pieces. However, some people have said that the soundtrack wasn't used well in the anime. I think I forgot about that =P

Anyway, I found your opinion on Love Hina interesting. It was one of the first anime I saw, and I just found it hilarious. It's gotten me thinking... would I hate it if I saw it now?

Last edited by Amaya no Hime on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
I did like STr.A.in, great characters and story, lots of action, attractive mecha designs that go out of the traditional Gundam mold with a strong female main character although spoiler[the "gothic lolita" alien and doll] did bother me a little because it breaks up the setting somewhat.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The Human Spider wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Man, that Dendrobium is freaking massive, and I believe the GP-03 is only on the 1/144 scale. Imagine anything bigger, like all the crap like AoZ, or just that on a bigger scale.

I don't think I've seen a shelf with a Dendrobium before. AWESOME!!! Does anyone know if it's the MSIA or the HGUC version? The Transformers collection is pretty nice too Smile

I believe it's HGUC after a quick google search. I guess it's kinda like getting the METEOR system, but bulkier.

I think that's the MSIA one, but I'm not totally sure. I also see an MSIA Psycho Gundam in one of the upper shelves

About Love Hina, I still have the old Bandai complete collection "paperback" book somewhere in my shelves unopened (good thing I bought it from a liquidator, I think I didn't pay above $10-$15 for it)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
course that's prolly because I share opinions along this line of though >.>

(review was on a site that provided links to downloads so I rehosted the text; credit goes to teferi456 for writing it; obviously it has some spoilers).
That 'review' could probably be summed up as "I don't like the characters, therefore the series is bad!". Of course, starting off a review of a space opera with the line "I have never been a fan of space operas" should probably tip you off.

Quote:
I think that's the MSIA one, but I'm not totally sure. I also see an MSIA Psycho Gundam in one of the upper shelves
Pretty sure it's the HGUC. Looks to big to be the MSIA, plus the blue parts look moulded rather than painted (the MSIA had white plastic for the 'payload' doors).
grace.pressure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
I AGREE WITH YOU SO MUCH! Love Hina was one of the first that I watched, and it was funny and etc., but I felt exactly the same way around the middle. It was just so aggravating Anime hyper Almost like when I watch Inuyasha and nothing really develops. Which is debatable, but I felt like saying it. <_<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7