• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Straining Your I"s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
For years now I've said that Ken Akamatsu has done more damage to romantic comedy anime than any other individual. My only great gripe is that it's taken us long enough for Love Hina to gain freaking CLASSIC status for people to also look back and say sheepishly "You know, it really wasn't that good."

That's an interesting view point, but I will have to disagree with some aspects. Yes, Love Hina in the anime form is not that great, but it can still be enjoyable. It may be bad at times, however Love Hina has a special place in my heart for one of the anime shows that got my into other anime (at the time I was only a Gundam fan liked some other shows but didn't really buy anything other than Gundam shows at the time) plus Love Hina was one of the first manga series that I purchased as a whole.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:

And to anyone who's seriously considering buying Love Hina, do yourself this favor: drop a heavy object in your crotch to simulate the viewing experience, then go to eBay or Amazon or the trunk of a shady figure's car and buy Ai Yori Aoshi instead. It's like Love Hina, but with pleasant characters, beautiful music, and a strong central romance.

If the urge to buy Love Hina still remains, repeat process and buy Maison Ikkoku.

I've seen both Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi and enjoy both of them. But I would say that Ai Yori Aoshi is slightly better overall. I wouldn't say that watching Love Hina is that bad of an experience. I didn't waste my time watching it at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I believe it's HGUC[Dendrobium] after a quick google search. I guess it's kinda like getting the METEOR system, but bulkier.

Either way I'm jealous--I have neither the money nor the shelf-space for something like that right now. I considered getting the stripped-down FIX version whose price and size are more managable, but it's still quite expensive, and with the FIX line quality varies greatly from figure to figure, with the bigger, more complex figures tending to have more problems. With the METEOR, and 00's smaller GN Arms it looks like big, mobile-armor-like weapons attachments are becoming a trend in Gundam.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
With the METEOR, and 00's smaller GN Arms it looks like big, mobile-armor-like weapons attachments are becoming a trend in Gundam.
They always have been. G-Fighter, anyone?
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Just finished marathoning Str.A.In on FUNi's video portal as well. As soo as my paycheck gets in, I'll pick it up. The story is well developed. I did get a little lost with all the sci-fi elements/explanations of instantaneous transfer, but it wasn't too overwhelming.

Characters are overly dramatic, but it's a space opera smooshed in 13 episodes. Give it a break. I was surprised how much crap Sara went through without breaking down totally. With all the trama that surrounded her, I would have given her an episode pass to break down. She's a tough cookie. Major props to the writers.

Animation's so-so. I'm not a fan of the huge eyes and the bold hairstyles. The mecha design is kinda interesting, with the Mimic element, but I always find a mix of 3D and 2D animation jarring in a show, no matter how smooth either/both are. Just my tastes.

I was a little put off by the Oniichan complexes and the Lolicon aspects (spoiler[the aliens, Sara's brother]), but damn are there some parts that shocked me! spoiler[Particularly when Sara's brother assassinated almost all the crew members on the enemy ship he joined. I was expecting him to rebel sometime, but not to kill everyone. Jeez...]

Anyways, it's a good marathon show. I'm glad it's out here.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
I find it kind of funny that everyone complains about Kitsune having a Texan accent and while that did annoy me to a degree there are plenty of other series out there in which they did the same thing but are considered a very good dub. For example Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi almost every character has that accent yet alot of people feel the dub for the show is great and fits perfectly.

She had a Kansai-ben accent right? Isn't it pretty standard practice to use a southern accent for that in a dub o,o?

Midst marathoning all the HIME series, so I'll point out Shizuru Fujino in My HIME. Her accent is lighter and better, though frankly I wasn't put off by Kitsune's. I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma, and it was authentic. Probably too thick for most people's tastes, though. Osaka in Azumanga Daioh is very light, and more tuned to most people's ears, I would guess. And yes, worked perfectly in Abenobashi, where everyone spoke the same dialect--that had something to do with it, I believe.

asimpson2006 wrote:
I've seen both Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi and enjoy both of them. But I would say that Ai Yori Aoshi is slightly better overall. I wouldn't say that watching Love Hina is that bad of an experience. I didn't waste my time watching it at all.

And agreed on this. I enjoyed Ai Yori Aoshi, but it's nowhere near a classic, or that hugely superior to Love Hina. Recommended for someone who enjoys the genre, certainly, but not going to impress everyone.
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
babbo wrote:
course that's prolly because I share opinions along this line of though >.>

(review was on a site that provided links to downloads so I rehosted the text; credit goes to teferi456 for writing it; obviously it has some spoilers).
That 'review' could probably be summed up as "I don't like the characters, therefore the series is bad!". Of course, starting off a review of a space opera with the line "I have never been a fan of space operas" should probably tip you off.

Quote:
I think that's the MSIA one, but I'm not totally sure. I also see an MSIA Psycho Gundam in one of the upper shelves
Pretty sure it's the HGUC. Looks to big to be the MSIA, plus the blue parts look moulded rather than painted (the MSIA had white plastic for the 'payload' doors).

Come on now, that's the easy way out. Tell what exactly is amazing about the characters and you might have a point. I could say the same thing about a number of the reviews on ANN for instance (Carl's reviews of deathnote comes to mind, though to be honest I agreed with him) and say the same thing. But when you get right down to it, most of the characters in strain fit boring typical archetypes and never bothered trying to break out of them. As for space operas, the same guy gave a glowing review of Legend of Galactic heroes. Strain really isn't a stand out in its genre.
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Hotaru99 wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
I suppose. Still, the whole loli schoolgirl/shotabait thing doesn't really fit any of them either, which I presume that's what got him squicked out in the first place. I can't think of any other reason why, anyway.

Same here. I was a bit wierded out by that at first myself but now I'm up to volume 20 in Delrey's releases and WOW is that manga a rollercoaster by then. Its like "Romance? Who in the world has time to think about that now?"

I feel the same way. The first three volumes nearly turned me off for the whole series, but I like the world created in too much to not give it more of a fair shake. By volume four, it stops being primarily about showing naked girls (although that aspect never actually goes away) and starts to tell a story. And what a great story it is, too! Smile

Oh I never really cared about the fanservice either way; thats an aspect of many mangas I like for other reasons after all. Mainly it was the fact that Negi is 10, so it had the whole "kodomo" thing going on. Though when you get deeper into it what seems really wierd at first wound up having much more rational explanations, like what happened in Ayaka's past, and thats mainly how I got around it to see what a great story it really is all said.

I cant wait for Volume 21, that last page of 20 nearly made me go find scanlations heh.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I think I have the same feelings about Love Hina too.

I own the first disc, but when I marathoned the rest at my friend's house it got on my nerves so much. I did like the Christmas special for some reason.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
It being the third Anime Series I ever watched, I probably had a way higher opinion of Love Hina than was warranted.

On a rewatch, I found it a lot less enjoyable, but like Negima, about once every six episodes, there is a real gem of an episode.

I was wondering if it was to be redubbed.

I had no major problem with Kitsune's accent in the dub, but unlike other southern accents in anime, it just did not seem to fit at all, they could have done better.
AnimeJames

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder if people with so many DVDs make themselves a basic lineup of what to watch as if they were watching their own anime channel Razz...I don't have a huge collection but I watch a schedulized lineup everynight, mostly DBZ, but it's something
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Love Hina Manga: My first manga and one of my favorite of all time romance/comedy series.

Love Hina anime: Much better than I's or most harem series. At least Wandee Lee is in this show, it could be much worse. Also, at least this show isn't completly about fanserivce or constant nudity. Compared to other harem shows, Love Hina isn't perishable but might not be shelf worthy.

This series is however rental worthy though. If one has seen this series through, one would see why I would agree Love Hina the anime isn't the greatest, but isn't that bad either.

Edit: To make sure everyone understands me, I do agree with Bamboo about the anime not being as great as the manga, but in my defence, Love Hina wasn't that bad. Trust me, I've seen much worse. Also, at least the main character, Keitaro actually did manager duties and actually tried his best to get in the university of his choice. I've seen and watched other male characters do nothing or act cool, but do nothing besides act.

Bamboo knows what she is talking about, it is not easy to write a intelligent, yet interesting column each week. Not to mention she did point out the manga was better.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
AnimeJames wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if people with so many DVDs make themselves a basic lineup of what to watch as if they were watching their own anime channel Razz...I don't have a huge collection but I watch a schedulized lineup everynight, mostly DBZ, but it's something

Watch your collection? Between watching the next thing you will buy, reading, working to earn the money to spend, reading, or (included purely for rumor purposes) having a life ... who has the time? At some point, scheduling is almost the most dangeous thing you could do if you figure a full season will run between 5.5 and 11 hours. Even breaking that into chunks can get depressing when you think of how long it will take to complete them all.
SaruSama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
Ah Love Hina...so many fond memories...so many more not so fond memories. I saw the first disc way back when it was first released during an anime club meeting. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Went my first con and made my first impulse buy...the Love Hina box and what DVD's were out at the time. I got back to the dorm, watched it, and even though there were some WTF why did that happen moments, I was able to get through it, and still have a positive view of it. Then I read the manga. I remember reading it and not looking forward to Kentaro (I think that's what his name was in the anime), and being oh so pleasantly surprised when he wasn't there. I remember still having some WTF moments, but they were much fewer and much more far between than the anime. And I remember having to wait and wait and wait for the next volumes to come out to feed my addiction to the series.

Bottom line; if you're determined to watch LH, do it first. You can at least get through the thing that way. If you want a good story (albeit a recycled one), then read the manga. I still bring it down for a read every now and then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7