• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam ratings.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the process of writing a paper for my persuasive writing class in college, and I was going to do it on how Gundam X gets crapped on because of bad ratings. If someone has a link to where I can get Gundam TV ratings in Japan, that would be phenominal. Thanks.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like a pretty weak thesis, especially for a college level course. Someone unfamiliar with anime in general or even Gundam in specific (and even more specifically, Gundam X) would be unaware of criticism against the show and much of the paper would need to be spent introducing fundamental concepts. Also, Gundam X's score on ANN is about 7.25, which is pretty average; does it really get "crapped on", or do you just really like the show and can't stand to see people criticize it?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've never really seen anyone ride on Gundam X that much. It seems that most people see it as an ok anime. Also, the idea of focusing on just Gundam X makes the whole idea seem pretty limited. If you really want to go through with this idea you might want to expand a little. Maybe try and talk about Gundam in general.

Also, by "ratings" are you talking about the number of people who watched it, or the rating that the viewers gave it. If you mean the number of people who watched it you might be out of luck (according to the ANN page, it's only been aired in Japan and the Philippines). It might be a little hard to get those, and then tie it into a (insert other country here) audience perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Why don't you make your paper about how Anime is looked down on in the West, because many people think it is just for children? Then you could provide examples like from Gundam or other Anime you like which support your central argument; that Anime can be as mature and as intelligently written as a live-action movie or critically-acclaimed T.V. drama. A much broader scope while still keeping it inside your area of expertise.
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I was a little vague about the description of paper. I want to show that Gundam X is a good show, and the main reason it got crappy ratings was because of the timeslot change. And, also, because of those bad ratings, the series did not get the respect it deserved (left out of video games, not licensed in America, less merchandise). I will prove it is a good series by its recent resurgance (GX: UTM was very popular, DVD set release).

What I want the Japanese TV ratings for (for example GX's overall series TV ratings was a 2.8%) is to see what the comparison in ratings was when GX had a good timeslot compared to series like G Gundam and Gundam Wing. Hope this can clear things up a bit.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
No, we understand the paper idea. It just seems to limited to be a whole paper. I'm only in High School and I wouldn't waste my time with such a limited topic focus. You need to expand the ideas past just Gundam X.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Alright look, i appreciate the input but honestly, i really don't care. Quite frankly I'm a dirty writer and could write circles around 90% of the kids in my school. If I'm in the middle of it and I don't think its a top quality paper, I'll change the topic and write something new. The fact of the matter is GX is one of my favorite animes and its something I'm passionate about and I believe and I can get a great paper out of it. All I'm asking for is a little help finding the Japanese TV ratings from Victory Gundam to Turn A Gundam. If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate it.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Why not do a paper of Mobile Suit Gundam's life after death? Apparently the show didn't do so swell in it's original 1979 broadcast, and only became huge durring re-runs (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Why not do a paper of Mobile Suit Gundam's life after death? Apparently the show didn't do so swell in it's original 1979 broadcast, and only became huge durring re-runs (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

I think it was re-runs and that they made three theatrical re-caps of the movies with cleaned up animation and they get right to the point of the story without all the "stupid" hijinks of the full show, and also without the new robot every week for the express purpose of selling toys. I like the idea of re-cap movies if you're able to see them in theaters, but otherwise it's a waste of time/money if you're just buying it on DVD or tape or whatever unless they really did something different.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
I feel for you Bro... You started a harmless thread, just asking a simple question, and you are further away from an answer now then ever before.

I wish I could tell you where to find the info you seek, but I don't know. Just hang in there. And as a bit of advise; you are better off trying to find the info somewhere else.

Some people would rather comment on your question, as opposed to give you an answer.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Some people would rather comment on your question, as opposed to give you an answer.

Maybe that's true, maybe that's not. I will tell you this; some people are exasperated by the laziness shown by ThatMatt when they not only ignore our well-intentioned advice, but fail to look in the most obvious place for their answer:

ANN wrote:
Due perhaps to a lack of interest, Gundam X was cut short by 10 episodes and its timeslot was switched to a dismal Saturday morning 6 am after 26 episodes. As a result, this show received the lowest Japanese viewership rating out of all Gundam TV shows at an average of 2.8 (a record that would later on be broken by SD Gundam Force, which made 2.1). It also marked the end almost 4 straight years of weekly Gundam broadcast and was the last Gundam series to be aired on TV Asahi.

Yes, it isn't broken down by episode. I know that. But I really cannot bother to spend more of my time helping someone who hasn't shown the slightest tendency to help themselves.
solot58

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Maybe that's true, maybe that's not. I will tell you this; some people are exasperated by the laziness shown by ThatMatt when they not only ignore our well-intentioned advice, but fail to look in the most obvious place for their answer:

ANN wrote:
Due perhaps to a lack of interest, Gundam X was cut short by 10 episodes and its timeslot was switched to a dismal Saturday morning 6 am after 26 episodes. As a result, this show received the lowest Japanese viewership rating out of all Gundam TV shows at an average of 2.8 (a record that would later on be broken by SD Gundam Force, which made 2.1). It also marked the end almost 4 straight years of weekly Gundam broadcast and was the last Gundam series to be aired on TV Asahi.

Yes, it isn't broken down by episode. I know that. But I really cannot bother to spend more of my time helping someone who hasn't shown the slightest tendency to help themselves.[/quote]

LMAO HE BURNED YOU SOOOO BAD
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
dizzon wrote:

ANN wrote:

Yes, it isn't broken down by episode. I know that. But I really cannot bother to spend more of my time helping someone who hasn't shown the slightest tendency to help themselves.

That's the problem right there. You act as if you have to waste your time with a response. But you don't have to. You could have just ignored the thread; hence none of your time would have been wasted.

And just when I thought I couldn't help; it was my original post that inspired you, dtm42 to help. Mr. Green

Now I'm off...to help as many people as I can....AWAY (woooosh)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1