• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
babbo wrote:
Did I say that they weren't? The point is that they don't do anything that unrestricted in store browsing doesn't already do.
WRONG! The bookstores are displaying their intellectual products legally, while scanslators are pirating stolen goods. That's not something to look over by someone, unless spoiler["I want my instant self-gratification without paying anything because I'm just too damn lazy to do just about anything legally."]
Isn't that besides the point? People are seeing the same product for free. Those that won't buy it while reading it at their computer desk won't buy it at the bookstore either >.>

at leas you're putting your rhetoric in spoilers now Anime hyper
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Prove it. I've only seen increasing shelf space in most stores. And stop trying to use dvd sales in an discussion on print media. They're far too different.

Okay your specific question was "Would business care if a product doesn't sell?" Already manga sales are down, continued drops will mean they will not continue carrying as much in store as they used to. This is the same regardless of what the product actually is, I refer to anime DVDs because 1) they are an entertainment medium, like manga and 2) manga and anime do have a closer relationship then say most books versus television series.

Quote:

PDF? At least take a peek at the thing you are demonizing. Scanslations are a) rarely anywhere near the quality that you see in an official release, and b) are even more rarely (I've never seen one to date) in pdf format. Name me one title.

Well first I would direct you to here for this fine video play list watch all of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0b8bEaT4I

As to PDF downloads, you must not even been doing a basic search on google if you can't find them, they are moving onto just doing scanlations of Japanese titles but also the "American created manga" is also being scanlated to and released for free, with slightly different English, in a PDF format.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Isn't that besides the point? People are seeing the same product for free.
WRONG! Fansub/scanslation community are stealing intellectual properties from the anime/manga industry. When it actually took money to make & license those copyrighted intellectual properties in the first place. Not for illegal fansubs/scanslations, and therefore not "free."
loka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand, I can't help but feel a little sad for you if you choose your anime based on reviews and genre type. Aside from author preferences having very low probability of high similarity to oneself, some shows are simply much, MUCH, better seen first hand, without a clue of what to expect- even knowing its genre may spoil it.

Do you think that all the good shows get licensed?

Last edited by loka on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
You know what nine pages of the same old absolute drivel has led me to conclude? It's just about the only thing I can think of that cuts across all sides and lines of this debate: the entire business model of expecting consumers to pay for a television series which they have never seen previously is completely, utterly, and fundamentally flawed. I know that the economic and practical realities of the world have led R1 companies to operate in this manner, but it doesn't make the process any more asinine. Go to your local video store and take a walk up and down the DVD aisles. Nearly every show you see aired somewhere on TV, available for anyone and everyone to see, prior to its release on home video, whether its original broadcast was two or twenty years ago. Even within Japan itself, with its fundamentally different broadcast model, TV premieres of a series are what drive DVD purchases by its fans. Anime is just about the only "genre" (for lack of a better term) out there that expects its fanbase to undertake a significant financial investment in a title that they haven't seen so much as a few minutes of beforehand, an expectation that I view to be completely unreasonable.

There. That is precisely why fansubs and DVD rips of even the most visibly-licensed series continue to proliferate, and why myself and others continue to utilize them in the absence of legal preview methods. Because asking consumers to flip around their entire fundamental viewing habits for a very small portion of the overall home video entertainment market is a tremendously stupid proposition.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
A very good standing point.

Thank you Richard for this. It couldn't have been summarized better. It's also amazing how we can go back and forth over the same conversation, over and over again. Which is why I'm kind of glad I wasn't a major part of the thread. Bottom line is, kids, that downloading illegally doesn't help anybody at all, and like other things it also makes a moral dent on what you think is right and wrong. If there are those that are going to continue to defend fansubs at all costs and those that feel they are not obligated to buy their anime at all, then I would advise these people to take a closer look at their inner selves. It could have a bigger impact on your later life, of which I can say may not be good at all.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Jaice wrote:
Im sorry but i am not paying $200.00 for a 26 episode series box set.

Why would you do that anyway? AL boxsets are about 40 dollars (if you shop around a bit), and $50 is about the norm for the first set (GitS, Mushi-Shi). Even the MSRP won't be over $70 generally.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
LordRedhand, I can't help but feel a little sad for you if you choose your anime based on reviews and genre type. Aside from author preferences having very low probability of high similarity, some shows are simply much, MUCH, better seen first hand, without a clue of what to expect- even knowing its genre may spoil it.

No I don't, simple fact that Hakugei the Legend of Moby Dick is terrible and released here means that some stinkers do get licensed. But simply a matter of trust with me, I'll trust a good reviewer or a friend more than some random person on the interwebs. Some series I have bought blind through either sales (price was low, hard to argue under $20 dollars to get a whole series or filler for the 25 for $100 sale that rightstuff had with ADV products come to mind) and some were good and some were really bad. Generally I prefer series with certain themes over others, so with my limited dollars I want a series that has or suggests those themes over other series as that's what I want to be entertained with first. Now if I were to go to another anime fans house and they have a DVD collection and their best series ever is something that doesn't match up with mine, it would be insulting not to sit with them and watch it, however that doesn't mean I have a desire to go out and see/purchase the series on my own.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
You know what nine pages of the same old absolute drivel has led me to conclude? It's just about the only thing I can think of that cuts across all sides and lines of this debate: the entire business model of expecting consumers to pay for a television series which they have never seen previously is completely, utterly, and fundamentally flawed. I know that the economic and practical realities of the world have led R1 companies to operate in this manner, but it doesn't make the process any more asinine. Go to your local video store and take a walk up and down the DVD aisles. Nearly every show you see aired somewhere on TV, available for anyone and everyone to see, prior to its release on home video, whether its original broadcast was two or twenty years ago. Even within Japan itself, with its fundamentally different broadcast model, TV premieres of a series are what drive DVD purchases by its fans. Anime is just about the only "genre" (for lack of a better term) out there that expects its fanbase to undertake a significant financial investment in a title that they haven't seen so much as a few minutes of beforehand, an expectation that I view to be completely unreasonable.

There. That is precisely why fansubs and DVD rips of even the most visibly-licensed series continue to proliferate, and why myself and others continue to utilize them in the absence of legal preview methods. Because asking consumers to flip around their entire fundamental viewing habits for a very small portion of the overall home video entertainment market is a tremendously stupid proposition.
When anime and manga as mediums(true) are made by the Japanese local industries for the sole purpose of appealing toward the Japanese local audiences, with story elements that's oriented toward the Japanese local culture, and with productions sponsored by the Japanese local businesses. How do you expect an international audience group outside of Japan to coupe, without resorting to something unreasonable as stealing from the industries, while supporting such crime only proliferates nothing but a piracy community?
loka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
loka wrote:
LordRedhand, I can't help but feel a little sad for you if you choose your anime based on reviews and genre type. Aside from author preferences having very low probability of high similarity, some shows are simply much, MUCH, better seen first hand, without a clue of what to expect- even knowing its genre may spoil it.

No I don't, simple fact that Hakugei the Legend of Moby Dick is terrible and released here means that some stinkers do get licensed. But simply a matter of trust with me, I'll trust a good reviewer or a friend more than some random person on the interwebs. Some series I have bought blind through either sales (price was low, hard to argue under $20 dollars to get a whole series or filler for the 25 for $100 sale that rightstuff had with ADV products come to mind) and some were good and some were really bad. Generally I prefer series with certain themes over others, so with my limited dollars I want a series that has or suggests those themes over other series as that's what I want to be entertained with first. Now if I were to go to another anime fans house and they have a DVD collection and their best series ever is something that doesn't match up with mine, it would be insulting not to sit with them and watch it, however that doesn't mean I have a desire to go out and see/purchase the series on my own.

well, I asked if you believe that all of the good shows get licensed.

What if you were to preview 10 more shows per 'buying session', and end up with the same budget spending for anime but no longer buy shows you regret purchasing. You will spend that money either way, but now you are rewarding the production of only [subjectively->] good shows.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
What if you were to preview 10 more shows per 'buying session', and end up with the same budget spending for anime but no longer buy shows you regret purchasing. You will spend that money either way, but now you are rewarding the production of only good[<-subjective] shows.
Forget about the hypothesis and just stick with the facts here. And the fact is nobody will go and buy every single licensed anime/manga after one had seen it in fansubs/scanslations. Also, there's nothing wrong with contributing toward something that you think is good based on individual judgment, when you're a fine judge on quality anime/manga.
Warstar77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Contact every anime industry in japan. If anyone lives in japan tell them to talk to crunchyroll and stream there anime from japan and tell them to put download to own. They will also stream there old anime there as well and think about it if they put there anime on crunchyroll site billions of anime fans will flock to the site watching anime on the site. The money download to own goes to people who make anime in japan and if they do that it will help boost there business and dvd sells and save them from recession and not only that if people who watch it can donate 1 dollar to give companies in japan tp help them. More profit to boot there anime output lol. If they do that we ann on site will try contact everyone in the world whos anime fan and the Anime Industry will sky rocket lol.
ps message me back ok
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
And the fact is nobody will go and buy every single licensed anime/manga after one had seen it in fansubs/scanslations.

Yo. *waves hand*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
And the fact is nobody will go and buy every single licensed anime/manga after one had seen it in fansubs/scanslations.

Yeah. God's own truth. My entire collection of anime and manga? Bought them all blind. Fansubs/scanlations had nothing to do with it. Nothing.

/irony
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
funny how the lion share of posts are about how fansubs kill sales while ignoring the very clear message that the industry has been screwing the workhorses who do the majority of the animating.

the industry is complaining they are not making the billions of yen they did in 2006 yet even in 2006 the animators were being screwed during the biggest profit periods.

yes DVD sales will continue to dwindle in NA because the format is outdated they need to make the money from the anime right at launch that means getting it out fast and either using the crunchyroll format or having advertisers on dedicated streaming sites because the fans wont wait for months and sometimes years for an anime to be released on DVD's not like the japanese companies can't create their own streaming sites.

literally cut out the middlemen who have been lining their pockets at the cost of the artists who actually deserve the the profits companies like funimation and ADV ...etc... who buy up the licenses and pretty much leave the artists in the dust if the anime does sell big are doing the industry far more harm by making it so unprofitable to be an animator people are leaving the industry the very people who create their profit which is why I personally wouldn't care if they ended up getting cut right out of the loop by the animators.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12