• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

Well, I stifled my fascist rant, seeing as how this thread is so civil. I will just say, why are you concerned at all about other's viewing habits? Why would you even think to critique someone else wanting to view "everything" instead of staying within genre bounds? What business is it of yours what I want to watch?

Personally, a favorite genre means I will more likely watch almost all those types of shows that come out and will purchase a lot of them. Outside my usual preferences, I still want to watch and own anything that is high quality, regardless of genre. If I hadn't been willing to watch Higurashi (When They Cry), I would have missed one of the top 3 shows on my list from the past couple of years.

I have every genre on my DVD shelves, in both live action and animation, some that I certainly would not have purchased if I had to rely on opinions of others or previews, or genre. I've learned the hard way (expensively) that it's a very unreliable way for me to choose entertainment, perhaps because of my eclectic tastes.

Bottom line is if you only stay in your own genre, you miss a lot of quality entertainment, even art. And saying that someone should just stay in their own genre is just silly.

I'm asking a general question as to why there is this drive to see "Every anime now!" aspect when certainly there is bound to be several series that you(in general) will not like. And I'm not saying you should stick into specific genres and such, however there is a line that needs to be drawn somewhere of a show or type of show that you (in general) do not like. And that certainly wasn't the argument I was intending to make of "someone should just stay in their own genre." I was more going for "You should know what you like and choose carefully from those preferences. Willing to try new series if someone (like ANN reviews) recommends it that you trust." So for example if someone were to recommend an anime series that was a harem comedy and I trusted them then I'd be more willing to see it.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
i dont think the industry will die, it might go back to the way it was during the 80's. Not alot of people making anime so they have to concentrate on the story line.

Same with it being brought over here, it won't be alot but the anime that is brought over here will be of quality. (okay somewhat, i remember some horrible anime being brought over here in the 80's and very early 90's)
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
edit: it timed out once but still somehow went through
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Ruremi wrote:

By the time a show gets released now there's already another that people are excited about.

OMG - this this this!!

It's SO frustrating to me that all the Karin/Chibi Vampire forums / communities online seem to be DEAD despite the fact that there are STILL TWO VOLUMES TO BE RELEASED IN ENGLISH! Scanlations are also harmful Sad

And these forums were dead long before the anime was finished being released. People just don't have patience.

I also think a lot of this "anime fans get to watch anime for free" crap comes from many anime fans being teenagers who don't see the cable bills that mommy and daddy get :/

Scanslation is a whole different can of worms compared to fansubbing, at least state side. All the major bookstores that sell most of the manga allow people to read them for free in the store anyways. And that's on top of the simple fact that most people prefer reading something in printed format than on a computer.

dbzliveaction wrote:
Dante80 wrote:
Stop blaming fansubs for the market crunch.

Those who download but don't care to buy afterwards are NOT going to buy if illegal downloads magically seize to exist. Anime are not drugs, they are products of the entertainment industry. They will just find another hobby....Wink

If this is how you justify your stealing of someone elses property thats fine.....if it helps you sleep at night. But a simple economic equation......if creators keep pumping their hard earned money and effort into producing a product which people then refuse to buy but instead steal for free, well then my advise to you is to start looking for a new hobby right now cause anime wont be around in a few years and we have people like you to thank for that!

this is silly. The point that was being made is that the demographics of people that buy dvds will not (especially during a recession) and have not changed because of fansubs. People that don't buy anime dvds are unlikely to do so even if fansubs did disappear off the face of the earth.

Last edited by babbo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
I ran across this interview with the president of Toei's Phillipine wing that is relevant to the current discussion:

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/interview-toei/

Under 'Candid talk about how the business of anime works', the Prez confirms that most of the profits are made on merchandise sales, and that in some cases fansubs have actually led to increased sales (he says Lucky Star didn't catch on in Japan until after international fans got into it).

Unfortunately, I don't see how this is going to change business models for distributors in the West, since there doesn't seem to be a large market for merchandise - I sure have no interest in it beyond the DVDs.

A lot of non-DVD buying fans will willingly shell out $100 for a good figure, which translates into direct sales to Japan, and not to the R1 Companies. I prefer it this way.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Stop blaming fansubs for the market crunch.

Those who download but don't care to buy afterwards are NOT going to buy if illegal downloads magically seize to exist. Anime are not drugs, they are products of the entertainment industry. They will just find another hobby.

Those who watch fansubs and then go and buy anime merchandise, DVDs and related products will not do so at the same frequency if they have no access to the content for "free" (as most Japanese do via free television + ads).

Those who do not download but buy/rent everything they watch will not be affected anyway one way or the other.

Read more into the report, this is not another fansub debate people. Fansubs/downloading/illegal streaming is only a small part of the problem, a problem that has to do with the world evolving and the industry failing to catch up, and also, with the global economy crisis. At least, that is my take on this...Wink

So people who buy don't also buy all that merchandise you seem to think justifies the downloading of fansubs?
We ONLY buy the dvds, & not the plushies, figures, etc.?
So how do you explain the 4 sacks full of blind boxes I located in my daughter's room when I was cleaning this weekend? The rows of figures sitting obediantly in front of her monitor? Luffy staring down from a rack on the bathroom door? Calendars de-spined & hung as posters on her wall? A Batman (3rd Tim Burton) Trash can full of wall scrolls (at least 2 dozen)?
Not to mention the 18 Seiya dolls (ranging in cost from $50-100) gracing my shelf? The 3 5-doll 3-inch sets carefully encased in plastic cases? The 3 boxes of figures released last year? The chess set? The stray DBZ, Naruto, InuYasha, Hoshin Engi, etc figures I have scattered around my office at work & home? Posters, calendars, wall scrolls.
Does the Clamp magazine with the chess figures count as manga or figures?

Why do fansub downloaders seem to believe they alone are buying this stuff?

How will we NOT be affected if less anime is being made?
Is this not what most of us who do not download have protested for yrs (that lacking money, less anime will be made)?
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
pparker wrote:

Well, I stifled my fascist rant, seeing as how this thread is so civil. ...

I'm asking a general question as to why there is this drive to see "Every anime now!" aspect when certainly there is bound to be several series that you(in general) will not like.

Again, some people are like that, others aren't. So what. I leave the detailed study of human viewing habits to others.

LordRedhand wrote:
And I'm not saying you should stick into specific genres and such, however there is a line that needs to be drawn somewhere of a show or type of show that you (in general) do not like.

Where in the rules does it say lines? That's a bit facetious, as I think I understand where you're going with it. But being a freedom-loving old hippie rebel, that wording just irks me.

LordRedhand wrote:
And that certainly wasn't the argument I was intending to make of "someone should just stay in their own genre." I was more going for "You should know what you like and choose carefully from those preferences. Wiling to try new series if someone (like ANN reviews) recommends it that you trust." So for example if someone were to recommend an anime series that was a harem comedy and I trusted them then I'd be more willing to see it.

Um, I do like end up liking some things and not others. But I won't have an opportunity to even make that distinction on a show if I don't watch it. Many start bad and end better, and worse, vice versa. Trailers for instance, are just commercials. No better indication of value to me than any other ad on TV, which is virtually none. I don't spend any time watching them.

Although I said I don't rely on reviews, that's not strictly true for older R1 DVDs already past the fansub stage. In that case, I may impulse buy since there is a healthy market for resales of anime. My final cost is similar to renting if I don't like it enough to keep it for rewatch.

But my primary way of choosing shows to buy is to watch them. Streams if they are available, fansubs if they are not. Most shows will never be released on R1 DVD anyway, and if I like it enough to rewatch, fansubs or downloadable episodes are the only way to "own" it. Streaming has broadened the legal means of viewing, and I suspect we'll reach a point of having nearly all anime available that way. It's still for me just a first viewing alternative unless downloads are offered.

But bottom line, no I don't normally buy sight-unseen. That's just my behavior pattern. That is the U.S. live TV pattern, so not unusual.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ian K wrote:
I ran across this interview with the president of Toei's Phillipine wing that is relevant to the current discussion:

Under 'Candid talk about how the business of anime works', the Prez confirms that most of the profits are made on merchandise sales, and that in some cases fansubs have actually led to increased sales (he says Lucky Star didn't catch on in Japan until after international fans got into it).

Unfortunately, I don't see how this is going to change business models for distributors in the West, since there doesn't seem to be a large market for merchandise - I sure have no interest in it beyond the DVDs.

A lot of non-DVD buying fans will willingly shell out $100 for a good figure, which translates into direct sales to Japan, and not to the R1 Companies. I prefer it this way.

Yes, curse those awful R1 companies for trying to turn a profit. How dare they make money from anime they have the legal distribution rights to for the R1 territories. Rolling Eyes

parker: OK, let me present to you a hypothetical situation. Anime X is fansubbed and gets about 500,000 downloads. Around 200,000 of the downloads are by those broke kids. Now, once the series is licensed for R1, I seriously doubt that 200,000 will actually buy it, and just to add to that, 50,000 of the remaining downloaders don't plan to buy the series for any number of excuses. Out of 500,000 potential sales, that's 2 and a half out of 5 (I suck at math, so sue me) lost sales. See what I mean?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ian K wrote:

Yes, curse those awful R1 companies for trying to turn a profit. How dare they make money from anime they have the legal distribution rights to for the R1 territories.

Pretty much. I know my money flows directly to Japan, and I find the merchandise more worth it than DVDs, so I believe it's a valid point. Especially in the case of buying Gunpla versus Gundam DVDs. It's only a matter of time until we get more of those 3-D printers, then we can download figures and models too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAt2xD1L8dw
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Except most people (myself included) don't think it's fair to import DVDs that cost $70 and then with import fees tacked on might be significantly more, especially with no subtitles and all of 2-3 episodes a disc. I don't get the hatred for R1 companies from some people (especially those gits at MyAnimeList); we should be kissing their asses for even bothering to give us the stuff, not condemning them for being SO EBUL and taking money away from the Japanese companies as you believe they do.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

Um, I do like end up liking some things and not others. But I won't have an opportunity to even make that distinction on a show if I don't watch it. Many start bad and end better, and worse, vice versa. Trailers for instance, are just commercials. No better indication of value to me than any other ad on TV, which is virtually none. I don't spend any time watching them.

Although I said I don't rely on reviews, that's not strictly true for older R1 DVDs already past the fansub stage. In that case, I may impulse buy since there is a healthy market for resales of anime. My final cost is similar to renting if I don't like it enough to keep it for rewatch.

But my primary way of choosing shows to buy is to watch them. Streams if they are available, fansubs if they are not. Most shows will never be released on R1 DVD anyway, and if I like it enough to rewatch, fansubs or downloadable episodes are the only way to "own" it. Streaming has broadened the legal means of viewing, and I suspect we'll reach a point of having nearly all anime available that way. It's still for me just a first viewing alternative unless downloads are offered.

But bottom line, no I don't normally buy sight-unseen. That's just my behavior pattern.

Confused here, you trust reviews for older series but not for new ones? Aren't both equally credible? I understand the desire to purchase something that you have seen first, I was once at that point, but me being a person not wanting to go into fansubs but wanting to go deeper into the anime fandom I had a dilemma that needed to be solved, "How do I choose which anime I want to watch?" Starting with the easiest would be series I had seen parts of (like on G4's Gungrave and R.O.D) or try to find series similiar to series that I had already liked and seen (and therefore purchased)

Even then my anime collection would not grow anywhere near as fast as it has, I had to have trust in someones opinion to answer the question "What's a good anime to watch/purchase?" I had a bad start with that process starting with forum users (Adult Swim no less) which while yes led me to series I liked also had given series that I found poor, therefore I moved to reviews from sites like ANN and anime on DVD so that they can take the really poor series and tell me what is a good buy, as it's their job too.

Again using myself as an example, a series like Tweeny Witches is something I don't normally buy, I had watched series like it (Sailor Moon for anime and PPG for cartoons) but did not have any desire to purchase them after seeing them. So if I didn't read the reviews about Tweeny Witches, I really wouldn't consider purchasing volume 1 to view it. After volume 1 was purchased I liked the series enough to add it to my DVD collection to have the whole series.

Also kinda going back to what I previously said, "How can a business sell you something if you have already fulfilled your need for it?" That's what fansubs do, they fulfill the same need that legitimate companies are also trying to fulfill with the same thing. So take any series you feel will never be released in the R1 market, ask yourself why they haven't yet? One of the reasons can be licensing issues, there is the demand to have everything the same, so music, voice acting, animation so on. Another is that the licensing company feels they can't make money off it anymore, simply because a free version of it exists and they feel that the market for it has "dried up" or has been fulfilled by fansubs.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
This is very sad news to hear... I hope something will be solved in this state of mass downloading versus profits loss (and admitting that it is a cause). Because hey, those who aren't contributing to buying anything at ALL, sure aren't helping the problem.

To be honest, I kind of want to bring this up in MyAnimeList's forums where people like that FROWN upon seeing anime licensed... (This was after discovering how many of them thought fansubs were superior to anything licensed, thus have the attitude on refusing to buy ANYTHING >_>)

I couldn't agree with you more. I believe people need to recognize pirating as a crime and aggresively work to counter it. I know it'll prolly never go away entirely, but we as fans and consumers indeed should help to stem the overwhelming flow of fansubs and fanscans that are plaguing and ultimately hurting the industry the world over. We owe it to ourselves as well as the companioes that work so hard to bring these things to our shores and into our lives to enjoy.

I emplore anyone who feels the same way, or is even considering jumpiung the fence from pirate "fan" to a genuine one (who, I myself was once amongst the former), please, please, please think of the industry workers who are losing their jobs, the manga creators who are being robbed, and indeed your fellow fans who are, in the long run, going to suffer for this widespread theft, because one day, there may come a time when not a single anime/manga compnay can support itself and thus, our beautiful little sub-culture will be crippled, and our tap to the land of the rising sun cut off. And I don't believe ANYONE wants to see anything even remotely like that come to pass. Sad
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Pretty much. I know my money flows directly to Japan, and I find the merchandise more worth it than DVDs, so I believe it's a valid point. Especially in the case of buying Gunpla versus Gundam DVDs. It's only a matter of time until we get more of those 3-D printers, then we can download figures and models too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAt2xD1L8dw

You have know idea how much I dream of this. However, I don't see this coming anytime soon. It would save me $100 this summer + import cost, etc... for this sucker here:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/03/05/black-rock-shooter-figure-a-dark-hatsune-miku/

On another note, if anime industries (US particularly) didn't charge so much for a stupid DVD of anime, let alone a box set, I would gladly support for the DVDs much more. However, due to the ridiculous amount these companies are selling them for, I'd rather import a complete box set of R2 Blu-ray for the same price or for pvcs.

Quote:
Nonsense. My family is doing terribly financially (I won't go any further), but I still got a part time job which gives me more than enough money to spend on anime, lots of anime (and manga), considering the pretty huge collection I've amassed for myself in only about a year. If you really want something, you will find a way to pay for it. That's just basic human nature.

depends on where you live. If your stupid sales tax isn't 10% then of course everything seems cheaper. But when your out in like California compared to Maryland or Massachusetts or even New Jersey, everything is not only more expensive, the sales tax make it hurt even more. I know this having bought stuff from many places now and the price difference and sales tax really hurts.
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Dante80 wrote:
*blather*

Well, these issues existed long before the economy problems happened, and you do realize that this isn't some random person saying it, but actual Japanese industry people who have access to sales numbers, and are having their jobs affected?

Get out of your Fan Delusion. This is coming from people with actual knowledge on the subject, not stuff fans make up in their heads. There's many issues that are affecting anime, and the economy is one of them, but companies can't overlook the decline in home video sales [a primary source of income for anime production] and the rise in free video sharing.

It is typical for the industry to blame fansubs, piracy, fans, the pope, Santa Claus and the Martians for a situation that in a major part stems from their own bad practices. This happened in the past, is happening now, and will surely continue to exist in the future. Fansubs and downloading are but a small part of the real problem though. Anyone failing to acknowledge that is bound to lose the big picture. And the big picture is that a "buy physical media before you watch" business model is killing the licensing industry. Add to that the globalisation problems that stem from dividing the world into regions and denying access to countries unless there is enough profit to sustain a bulky non efficient sub license physical media model and you start to understand the magnitude of the real problem.

dbzliveaction wrote:
If this is how you justify your stealing of someone elses property thats fine.....if it helps you sleep at night. But a simple economic equation......if creators keep pumping their hard earned money and effort into producing a product which people then refuse to buy but instead steal for free, well then my advise to you is to start looking for a new hobby right now cause anime wont be around in a few years and we have people like you to thank for that!

What has morality to do with this? Also, I'm not talking about myself, I'm talking about leechers that will download and watch fansubs because they can. If they can't, they will surely NOT pay the industry for an anime fix, they will just start downloading more non anime content. You fail to understand that many download only leechers are good for the industry because they provide more hype/excitement/noise about a title, but completely useless from an economics standpoint since the main reason they are into anime is because they can get it for free. It is very difficult to make profit out of this group, difficult but not impossible.

I want to stress this out again. Saying that you cannot compete with free, is saying that you cannot compete at all. Moral and legal issues are completely irrelevant in this discussion.

JINROH wrote:
Yes we will be affected,as less and less will be made,meaning less and less anime for me to support with hard earned dollars.The internet has let everyone and thier dog,become a pirate,with no fear
of being caught.

Most of the people I know download fifty to one (versus financially supporting an artform they claim to be a 'fan' of,and many have the cash,but just can't be god damned bothered.[/u] They have told me openly,not like I'd need to be told...

"I can't get caught,and everyone else is doing it...so...." They don't see the immiedaite outcome of thier actions,so they don't care.
If it was thier jiob on the line,I very highly suspect they'd all be singing a very,very different tune.

Its ( fansubs/ illegal downloading / uploading ) an amazingly huge part of the problem,but many don't want to own up to the fact we have raised a generation of thieves and liars.

Personal responsiblity and morality,and honesty,are not only dead,but shunned and mocked by the majority of the anime 'fan' community.

Personal responsiblity has been run roughshod over,partly by the ability to hide behind an IP address,(also partly by a broken education system),and make morally bankrupt 'arguements' about how its all just a bunch of zeroes and ones,So who [expletive] cares !!?! Theft is theft is theft.

I don't care if its walking into Best Buy and shoplifting,or by downloading a bunch of zeroes and ones via torrent or IRC,

Your talking something thats not rightfully,legally yours to take !

You and others can twist and squirm around it all,as much as you like,but its wrong.

World 'evolving' eh ? So we have 'evolved' into a world of thieves and
,liars,morally,and intellectually bankrupt 'me firsts' lemmings,and the hell with everyone else !

Gee....Ain't evolotion great !

You do not get it. Again, morality and legality have nothing to do with this problem. People download fansubs because they can. People support the industry because they want to. If people cannot download fansubs, they will not magically start wanting to support the industry. Loss of sales from people that would not buy anyway is not a loss under any circumstances.

Also, about evolution and bussiness models, read again this very good comment from pparker:

Quote:
The industry is working toward the right solution, which is offering licensed anime in enough forms of packaging to gain revenue from as many segments of the audience as possible. Can't afford single DVDs? Then pay us $40.00 for a season thinpak. Can't afford DVDs at all? Then pay us $2.00 per episode to download them. Can't afford $2.00 per episode? Then give us $6.00 a month and watch anime streams. Can't afford $6.00 a month? Then watch the anime for free with advertising in it.

This is what I'm talking about.

I understand that due to this sites' demographic any discussion evolving the anime industry will degrade into a fansub debate. But this is getting ridiculous imo guys. Watch the big picture.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
You fail to understand that many download only leechers are good for the industry because they provide more hype/excitement/noise about a title

...The freeloaders are GOOD for the industry? OK, that's one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard in defense of the bloodsuckers.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12