• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Factory makes request to stop fansubbing

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coroloro

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
This is rather a late addition. I am very bothered by the strongly worded feelings some people have AGAINST fansubs. I'm aware there are all sorts of legal ins and outs- but I feel quite firmly that despite the fact people abuse fansubs (using them for bootlegs, etc) that does not mean they are inherently bad. I believe that fansubs do more GOOD than bad- I believe they are the reason that so many people in America are now exposed to anime, and I know that I personally legally aquire more anime BECAUSE of fansubs than I would if I did not have access to them.

I also feel that those who say they wish fansubs remained among a small group of fans or passed around- I have never been "in" among those groups, I am supportive of bitorrents on a large scale so that I can access them reasonably. I cannot translate, I do not spend my whole life studying Japanese just so I can watch anime or translate it- I appreciate those who can sharing their time and efforts so that I can enjoy anime that is NOT YET available to me in the US. I support those anime companies that do not attack fansubs of non-copyrighted US material so that we can enjoy and build a fan base for their anime. I believe they realise that 1) it is easier to monitor when legitimate, socially conscious sites like animesuki regulate it- and 2) it HELPS them rather than hurts them, and 3) in the end, it is impossible to altogether stop, and easier to channel to a positive end rather than let it go wild. As long as I can either 1) legally buy the anime, or 2) download a subtitle that is not yet available in English, I will be happy and I won't try to download copyrighted material.

And for those people who are upset- like I was at one time- about the tremendous cost of buying lots of anime legally, just subscribe (LEGALLY) to Netflix rental service and get the 7 DVD at a time package- then order as MUCH anime as you want for under $50 a month to be happy as a clam.

I am very put out with the Media Factory group and their desire to cut off production of fansubs that are not yet released here in the states. I think they will pay a price for their choice later on. I know that I personally will not buy (or view illegally- don't worry) OR view ANY works they participate in from now on.

Since they are only one group out of many who DO allow/tollerate fansubs, I have PLENTY of other options.

-Pat
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
coroloro, please do not revive threads that are over a month old and clearly out of discussion. If the issue is of interest to you, then feel free to make another thread about in the Anime forum. But if you see a topic that obviously hasn't been replied to in over 5 months, do not try to rekindle it. Thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 27 of 27