• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Spike Lee Responds to Oldboy Casting Report

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Apparently people thought he was gonna be thugged-out Spider-Man, weairng thugged-out chains, and sagging his tights.

Well, dang America.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

That series sucks, Star Blazers is where it's at.

Yamato doesn't suck, and Ishihara didn't work on the first three series or the original movies. I don't understand how doctor getting drunk on sake instead of spring water can be such a deal breaker for some people.

PS. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Cool Cool Evil or Very Mad Mad Shocked (Ernutsol forgot these from his/her message).
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Nationality =\= race

you know Koreans are still Asians, right?

Heheheh, that can actually be quite insulting to some Japanese - they don't identify themselves as Asians. Laughing

Also, some Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese are insulted when Westerners just group them together, like they all look the same. Remember the controversy when they casted Chinese actresses for Memoirs of a Geisha........ They were insulted that Hollywood is insinuating that just because they're East Asians, that they could just be interchanged with each other and be none the worse for it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the casting controversy for Memoir of the Geisha. Thanks for bringing that up.

Quote:
mdo7 wrote:

True and don't forget Korean that maybe half-caucasian, half-African-American (like the singer Amerie, her mother is Korean yet Amerie identify herself as American, and she can speak Korean fluently alongside English),

Don't forget currently the most well-known Korean-American recently-retired Pittsburgh Steelers all-pro wide-receiver Hines Ward:

Ya guys could also see him at the box office Dark Knight Rises - he's one of the football players in the stadium, of course. Laughing

Yeah, forgot about Hines Ward. Also I can name other people that are not 100% Asian. Like this singer in Japan. Also let's not forget about one member of the Fab 5 of the TeamUSA olympics has some Asian lineage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Having seen Inside Man, 25th Hour, Summer of Sam and a couple other Spike Lee films that weren't political essays, he could probably do a pretty good job with this. He is capable of making a pretty tense thriller (Inside Man being the best example of this).

Maybe watch the man's filmography. Observe his art, have a perspective that doesn't just sound like you have the world's most generic and obvious opinion of Spike Lee and are reacting with that rather than with an informed take.

Maybe if some of you at least sounded like you were giving him a fair shake or knew his work at all before you opened your mouth people would be less inclined to label you racist or "asian supremacist".

RAmmsoldat wrote:
[mel gibson] i don't dislike him because he seldom mixes his politics with his work.

oh come on

excluding "The passion" of course.

id forgotten about summer of sam, i did actually enjoy that.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

Yamato doesn't suck, and Ishihara didn't work on the first three series or the original movies. I don't understand how doctor getting drunk on sake instead of spring water can be such a deal breaker for some people.

PS. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Cool Cool Evil or Very Mad Mad Shocked (Ernutsol forgot these from his/her message).

Joke flew over your head.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

Actually, I did get one in, but I'm too busy with stuffs, contest duels, and the Olympics to add some more................
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
(Does Space Battleship Yamato lose its luster when ya guys find that out?)

Does that show have Jelly Filled Donuts™? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5