• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
3 in 1 Viz shojo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
So Viz just posted a Facebook status (and probably a tweet as well) asking which shojo title we'd like to see 3 in 1 editions of next... Go and tell them that you want Basara and Banana fish and Please Save My Earth. More people tell them, more likely it is to happen...
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up; asked for Banana Fish.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I went ahead and added my suggestions. Basara and Please Save My Earth were a given (even though I already have all of Basara, I'd like other people to to able to collect it as well), and since you asked, I went ahead and added Banana Fish. I also pointed out that some of their non-shojo series also need re-printing.

Everyone seems to like to go on about how Viz drops series even though they are no worse about such things then most publishers. Their real problem is the absolutely piss poor job they do keeping things in print.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Now if only they will pay attention to our pleas....I even said that although I already own Banana Fish, I would buy it again (and I so would), heck, there's not even any colored pages to ad because there didn't seem to be any in the first place.

Oh yeah, I should tell them Maison Ikkoku too, even if it's off topic
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku isn't shojo, but I think Boys Over Flowers definitely deserves the omnibus treatment - it's a great series and it's 36 volumes, so this would definitely would help out fan's wallets. And I'd get behind a re-release of Basara as well, since I'd love to read that series if it wasn't so desperately out of print.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy Skip Beat is getting the 3-in-1 treatment, since it's one of my favorite series and usually the first one I lend out to friends. I'm more-than-likely going to end up double dipping on this one. Anime hyper

Another one I'd like to see in 3-in-1's would be Angel Sanctuary. My volumes are so old, and I've read them so much, that I'm starting to worry about lending them out. Anime smile + sweatdrop Which is such a shame, since I love it so...

Love*Com would also be nice. It's a really great series, and I don't want it to be forgotten.

(Also they should totally rescue Fruits Basket. Someone needs to!)
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Viz Media print some more shoujo series in the 3-in-1 style but I'd be concerned on which of their omnibus styles they choose. For instance their shonen '3-in-1' omnibus only go up to three volumes currently, then instruct you at the end of the third to continue reading the series in the singles format (where in some are out of the print). It's really frustrating, especially for those who like consistency in their books' format.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Well they have two styles of 3 in 1, they usually make it clear with the first volume which one they're going with. And you can tell by price. The $15 MSRP ones that FMA used for example, they're printed on cheaper paper and are the same size as a normal book. The big 3 in 1s are usually around $20 and they print the whole series in it (like Rurouni Kenshin and ongoing Inuyasha). I'm thinking they're asking about the latter. The objective of the cheaper 3 in 1s is to help you catch up quickly with ongoing stuff like Bleach and Naruto and then make you buy the singles afterwards. With the more expensive one, they're re-releasing the entire series in said format, at least form what I've seen.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Good eye, st_owly. I made my Basara/PSME/Red River/Banana Fish post. I'm particularly interested in PSME and Red River.

And man, I didn't mean to write so much. Embarassed

classicalzawa wrote:
Well they have two styles of 3 in 1, they usually make it clear with the first volume which one they're going with. And you can tell by price. The $15 MSRP ones that FMA used for example, they're printed on cheaper paper and are the same size as a normal book. The big 3 in 1s are usually around $20 and they print the whole series in it (like Rurouni Kenshin and ongoing Inuyasha). I'm thinking they're asking about the latter.

It remains to be seen for Skip Beat! and Hana-Kimi. The former I can see them doing what you wrote (even though several volumes are OOP - I THOUGHT THIS SOLD WELL, VIZ!), whereas the latter I anticipate them releasing it in its entirety. It needed a re-release anyway, with at least one volume being OOP.

And while I hate the quality of those 3-in-1 releases of the shonen titles, I'll put up with it if it means seeing a good series going back in print.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
More people need to read Basara.

I already own the entire series but... damn if I might buy the omnis anyway. They probably won't happen, though.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Is Loveless going into the Shojo line?

I know vol.9 is going into a single edition, but I think 1-8 are going 2-in-1 editions.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
hmm, I quite like the sound of basara and please save my earth. Id get em if they were in omnibus editions but im not gonna attempt to get ones that are OOP as i got enough of that headache already.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Good news! The Skip Beat! and Hana Kimi 3-in-1s are going to continue! (Source)
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
^ That's excellent news! Even if the paper quality on them is (understandably) a bit thinner, I had been considering getting Skip Beat but didn't like the idea of so many OOP volumes making getting the rest of the series too difficult. I rented a few volumes from the library and quite enjoyed them, reminded me a bit of Glass Mask in a way.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about this because I specifically asked Viz a couple months ago if they were going to continue Skip Beat in omnibus form and was told no, so I started buying the singles. And then they announced this. So great for those who hadn't bought singles yet, sucks for me though. :\
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2