• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's SHAFT Sets Up Prism Nana Booth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will turn out like Nanoha except without the gratuitious yuri tones.

...Oh who am I kidding, this WILL have gratuitious yuri overtones.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Its really hard to make a Magical Girl show that isn't completely lesbian.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Are all future SHAFT news articles going to be labeled as Madoka Magica's SHAFT?

For a while, probably. Not everyone pays nearly as much attention to animation studios as some of us do, so many people might not have any idea who they are (other than maybe vaguely hearing about them before) without that note. I'm pretty sure you saw similar things when Haruhi aired and probably when Evangelion first came out. Pretty sure I saw FMA mentioned next to Bones a lot as well. You can see it all the time with smaller shows and studios too.

Anime studios don't matter to me that much. it's all about the writer and art designer.

this one looks nothing like Madoka. I don't know why people think this anime looks like madoka. Character design is totally different too. And we don't even know the story.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Anime studios don't matter to me that much. it's all about the writer and art designer.

It really depends on the studio, with SHAFT its almost always important. Same with KyoAni.

I'd put the director as the most important position in terms of sussing out what a show will likely be like.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
You can sorta see the C82 trailer in this livestream video: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/comic-market-82-no-642

No idea how long that will be up, or when we'll get a proper upload.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
Cam version of the trailer

Its like being at Comiket!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Wow, it looks amazing. I already had claimed that the Blue Haired Girl would be the girl I'd like best, but they just had to go give her Rie Kugimiyas as a seiyuu too. I sure know how to pick them!
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Looks more and more like Madoka Magica already.

If by "more and more" you mean "nothing at all, really"

Did you miss all the promo art for Madoka or something? It was entirely innocuous. Besides different character designs, at this stage of its game, Madoka looked just like Prism Nana. That was the point.

I'm with Ryan on this one; my money is on something closer to Nanoha or Mai Hime, not anything like Madoka beyond a few shared elements like teen magical girl squad. Not this soon. Not from the same studio. People will expect it and then it wouldn't have any impact or be special.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
And yes, they all have magical girls in common, but the point is, they're not your usual magical girl shows.
At this point, honestly, is anything (in the last few years) your "usual magical girl show"? Serious question. What defines "usual" for a show with some kind of "mahou shoujo" element included? Is CCS usual? Is Sailor Moon usual? Is Mai-Hime usual? Is Precure usual? Does Figure 17, featuring magical SCIENCE girl count? Is Princess Tutu usual? Is Arusu usual--does she even count, considering the setting? Nanoha? Madoka is considered unusual by many, but what common factors does a show need to be considered usual? Does simply "playing it straight" (like Madoka does) separates the unusual from the usual?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
Some of the comments in this thread has me believing some of you are new to entertainment.

Whether or not this series is similar to PMMM is irrelevant because of course they're going to try and make new stuff seem similar. Riding coattails of a success is nothing new.

I am always appreciative of new magical girl stuff. Bring me more!

By the way: Nanoha is the best of them all. Stop denying it.
Twisted Evil
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
So is Gen Urobuchi involved in this? I like the animation, but it seems like a bunch of moe pandering.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So is Gen Urobuchi involved in this?

Doubt it, they would have said so if he was to hype it up.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
How did Madoka not try to deconstruct the genre? It turned many elements upside down.

No, it didn't. It played things remarkably straight, just in a much harsher setting. spoiler[The setting after Madoka's wish is, in fact, a very straight forward magical girl setting, honestly.]

Yes it did.

Let's have a look at the definition of "Mahou Shoujo"... "A type of genre in manga or anime that is targeted toward girls preteen and below.
It features an ordinary girl (The heroine) who one day receive magical power and transform into her alter-ego magical superpower to battle evil".

Madoka, however, broke all the rules of the genre.
scineram

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

So it's actually Denpa Onna to Nymphogear!
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
How did Madoka not try to deconstruct the genre? It turned many elements upside down.

No, it didn't. It played things remarkably straight, just in a much harsher setting. spoiler[The setting after Madoka's wish is, in fact, a very straight forward magical girl setting, honestly.]

Yes it did.

Let's have a look at the definition of "Mahou Shoujo"... "A type of genre in manga or anime that is targeted toward girls preteen and below.
It features an ordinary girl (The heroine) who one day receive magical power and transform into her alter-ego magical superpower to battle evil".

Well, Mahou Shoujo = magical girl. That's it really. Madoka just messed with people's expectations.

For example, a little known show, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo, does not fit your definition, while it is very clearly Mahou Shoujo. But it's not anything like PMMM either. Rather it's a Seinen romcom soap opera

As such, I'm not going to make any assumptions about Prism Nana. If it's targeting the otaku crowd, it will probably stray from the definition of appealing to preteen girls and any simple good heroine vs evil story. It may not even deal with that at all
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

Err...no, it didn't. It broke a few, but played a bunch mostly straight, just with a twist.

(here's a tip: You can still like Madoka, and it can still be an amazing show, even if its not actually a deconstruction)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3