Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Market 82's 1st Day Attended by 160,000




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JohnnySake



Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 549
Location: Auburn Hills, MI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
That is really incredible. Considering how many people go to Comic Con here at San Diego and how busy it is there, I couldn't imagine what it would be like at Comic Market. Although I don't know how that place's size compares to the SD Convention Center. Seeing all the articles on the cool schwag on ANN makes me really wish we had some of that here. (hint, bring it to SDCC) Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3040
Location: earth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Comic Comiket is a very different animal than Comic Con. I don't think Comic Con is about comic anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lostrune



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Comic Comiket is a very different animal than Comic Con. I don't think Comic Con is about comic anymore.


It has not been for a loooooong time. Comics make up maybe 5% of it. It should be renamed Pop Culture Con. Laughing I saw a Lego toys booth showcasing their new stuff last time I went to ComicCon. Looked kinda cool. Wink But not comic related in the slightest bit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
N.R.



Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 232

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I was there on the first day of Comiket and was fairly dissapointed. There were too many people and too few staff to handle them. The lines to the industry boothes started outside the building and you could not buy anything without getting in line for the particular company you wanted to buy from. Also, as you may have notices, some companies only sold things as sets, which means you had to pay a lot even if you wanted just a T-shirt or a mug. The prices of the doujinshi have spiked up as well, making them feel more commercial than ever. At least the cosplay was awesome Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoseTech



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 50
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Went to Comiket 81 last winter. 10,000 less or not, it was still tons of people. But it was totally worth it. Got my limited edition Squid Girl bed sheet (waited 1.5 hrs in line at Broccoli), and Oreimo Kuroneko set (waited 45 minutes in line at Dengeki) among other things.

N.R. wrote:
I was there on the first day of Comiket and was fairly dissapointed. There were too many people and too few staff to handle them. The lines to the industry boothes started outside the building and you could not buy anything without getting in line for the particular company you wanted to buy from. Also, as you may have notices, some companies only sold things as sets, which means you had to pay a lot even if you wanted just a T-shirt or a mug. The prices of the doujinshi have spiked up as well, making them feel more commercial than ever. At least the cosplay was awesome Very Happy

Well yeah, what did you expect... Comiket Lines.
I lined up like 12 hours early to get in; not even at the front of the line. You are technically not allowed to queue that early, but tens of thousands of people do it. And when you finally do get inside, you get squished by everyone making a mad dash to their first target booth (trying to get there before a massive line forms).
But usually, it's to be expected to wait at least an hour per industry booth (could be significantly higher for big companies like SEGA or Broccoli), and the end of the line is always outside because the inside is already super-congested. The set thing is pretty common; it's very popular because it has all stuff that they all want usually. Comiket is pretty much for otaku only -- people that can't say no to the whole set because it is essentially irresistible.
spoiler[That being said, I spent my entire ¥70,000 I had in my pocket at C81.]
Can't say anything for the doujinshi prices. Just naturally goes up. Paper costs more, binding costs more, logistics costs more, etc.. And for well-known circles, you have to line up for hours to buy their doujinshi too, like Zettai Shoujo (artist RAITA), who ANN recently did an article on.

You really need to plan ahead for Comiket if you want most of your shit. You have to check who is selling what, their location in the building, and then organize with a group of friends and co-ordinate your purchases. Typically assign one guy in your group for a few booths, making sure that no 2 people go to the same booth).

Any yeah of course the cosplay is awesome if you make it out alive lol

Spotlesseden wrote:
Comic Comiket is a very different animal than Comic Con.

lol yeah at San Diego Comic Con you actually do stuff. It's an actual convention. Comiket is exactly what the name suggests. It's a market (+cosplay). There's no walking around and looking at stuff (well, you can do that if you don't want to buy anything, but that's not what the market is for).

Bottom Line: Comiket is a war zone.
Your enemy: Every other otaku that is not in co-ordination with your purchases.
Your objective: Get your shit and get out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4035

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I was unable to go this year, so I gave my cousin a list of all the doujinshi I wanted and asked him to send them to me. Hopefully I can make it next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoseTech



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 50
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I was unable to go this year, so I gave my cousin a list of all the doujinshi I wanted and asked him to send them to me. Hopefully I can make it next year.

Aah lucky to have a cousin that's willing to get it for you! Truly commendable.
This year? You mean this time? It happens twice a year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4035

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
RoseTech wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
I was unable to go this year, so I gave my cousin a list of all the doujinshi I wanted and asked him to send them to me. Hopefully I can make it next year.

Aah lucky to have a cousin that's willing to get it for you! Truly commendable.
This year? You mean this time? It happens twice a year.


I meant I won't be able to go the whole year. Not in December either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group