• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bac It Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
As a native Brooklynite, I'm very excited about the Baccano dub (which is why the first volume has been on my rental queue at Animelane for a while now, I suppose popularity is holding it back). The trailer sounds so cool-just what we'd all like to imagine a stylistic, mob-filled New York (or Chicago) during Prohibition should sound like! Wink

Sometimes, VA's performances are slightly compromised by a Texas drawl popping up during performances in regular Funimation shows, which is quite annoying. As much as I'd like to hear characters sound like they come from the places they're supposed too, it would be horribly compromised by a bad fake accent (Imagine if they tried to make L in Death Note sound British~it would've been cool 'till the VA's voice gave out...). So now I'm even more curious about Baccano than I was before! Cool

I don't know Japanese, so I've never watched the original series, but I've been reading the Shin-Chan manga and I find the humor more palatable, if light-weight, than the Adult Swim mash-up. The dub is a major hit-or-miss for me, and the lack of ongoing story arcs is a real minus (The Kendo finale was brilliant, though). The theme song is a great upper, but it can't quite save the show from all the forced jokes and soon-to-be-dated pop culture references.

If Adult Swim wants an anime to add to their comedy line up without major tampering, they should broadcast Detroit Metal City! The humor fits right in to the atmosphere of their original shows (it reminds me of Metalocalypse). Laughing
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and they kind of sound like caricatures of what a Texan might think a Brooklyn accent sounds like.
Haha, perhaps that has something to do with the fact that FUNimation is located in Texas!

I saw the first episode preview up on FUNi's website, and I thought the accents made the dub seem really unique. Different accents can be hit-or-miss (take 4Kids' Sanji for example) but I think they're pretty fitting for Baccano. I'm interested in seeing more...
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see an alpha-purist, but how do you deal with the double-layering? Alpha per opening, row, or layer?

Super_Vegeta wrote:
Well seems most (all?) of the feedback on Baccano! and Claymore is very positive. Thats good to know because I'm very interested in each of these series. That said I'll be waiting for the DVD (or better yet BD) boxsets of each before I get to see them.

Hmm, and here I was wondering how long Bamboo had to hold her breath to keep from pushing the Claymore review down to the rental bin. Guses that justs sets us up for some righteous vengence should she not like the ending.
Quote:
(with the exception of 40% of the Robot Chicken one), it is not funny

This seems like an average between 2/3+ of the first one and maybe 10% of ther second.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Also, it's only really odd if people are saying "Stroke, stroke stroke" to other people. They might just be saying that to keep the movement going.

Wha..? In the case I mentioned, it is often the drunkard in the yacht yelling out to the kayakers or scullers, "Stroke! stroke! stroke!"

These are the same people who, if they see a sailboat with no man at the tiller, will yell, "Hey, where's the skipper?"

Mohawk52 wrote:
But you don't need to own a yacht to be an "a-hole". Hell you could even be one on welfare! Just sayin'

This is a valid point. However, Newport Beach might have a higher a-hole to non-a-hole ratio than many other cities. :)

Regarding the whole stupid people in Baccano debate... slurs aside, I'm not even that aware of blatantly stupid characters in the show. Isaac and Miria are unconventional, but I think they act the way they do out of naivete and a certain joie-de-vivre-- not because they're stupid. All the other characters are reasonably smart, too.

Am I missing the stupid people?

You didn't mention it, but now it makes sense. I thought the guy was talking to his crew mates.

When you said that guy asked where the Skipper is, I instantly though of Guligans Island. I really doubt anyone but a select few will even know what show is about. Without using Google.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
Quote:
and they kind of sound like caricatures of what a Texan might think a Brooklyn accent sounds like.
Haha, perhaps that has something to do with the fact that FUNimation is located in Texas!

Is it just me, or doesn't it seem strange that FUNimation got its start in (North Richmond Hills) Texas? The more I think about it, the weirder it seems. Call me an uninformed outside observer, but places like Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth simply don't strike me as being well.....cosmopolitan. Put another way, the state just doesn't jump readily to mind as a place where people would be making a living dubbing/subbing/marketing Japanese cartoons. If it was in someplace like San Francisco or Vancouver, (or, hell, even Los Angeles) then I wouldn't have such a difficult time imagining how -- or why -- the company got formed there. But Texas? The land of oil, cattle, and migrant laborers? THAT TEXAS???!!! Shocked

I'm just unable to wrap my mind around it..... Confused

On a largely different note.....
Teriyaki Terrier in part wrote:
When you said that guy asked where the Skipper is, I instantly though of Guligans [sic] Island. I really doubt anyone but a select few will even know what show is about. Without using Google.
First of all, let me say that Google has simplified my research OH, SO MUCH! And second, although I only saw the show in syndication -- and not in prime time -- I did see Gilligan's Island on TV as a child. (It wasn't until YEARS later when I saw Rebel Without a Cause that I realized just what a terrific actor Jim Backus was; and yes, James Dean wasn't all that bad either Cool )

Last edited by nobahn on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Also, if you have a yacht, you might be an a-hole. Just sayin'.

Thanks for that, really. Several of my family members have their own yachts and are some of the nicest, most giving people you could meet. Rolling Eyes

Hey, you're welcome! Glad to know you take everything so seriously. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

B-503_MIA wrote:
I agree with the Donger's (or can only close friends refer to you as that?)

Uh, nobody can refer to me as that. But points for creativity..?

NimbusRain wrote:
Quote:

Yes, that's why I made that comment. Smile
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Is it just me, or doesn't it seem strange that FUNimation got its start in (North Richmond Hills) Texas? The more I think about it, the weirder it seems. Call me an uninformed outside observer, but places like Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth simply don't strike me as being well.....cosmopolitan. Put another way, the state just doesn't jump readily to mind as a place where people would be making a living dubbing/subbing/marketing Japanese cartoons. If it was in someplace like San Francisco or Vancouver, (or, hell, even Los Angeles) then I wouldn't have such a difficult time imagining how -- or why -- the company got formed there. But Texas? The land of oil, cattle, and migrant laborers? THAT TEXAS???!!! Shocked

I'm just unable to wrap my mind around it..... Confused

Heh. You remind me of some Australians I met once who thought all of us Texans lived on ranches and rode horses to work-and-or-school.

Well, I do have 210 horses propel me to work, but that's as close as I come to the stereotype. Smile

All kidding aside, I do know how you feel. However, for me it is more of a feeling of pride that the former top company is from Houston and the current top company is from Dallas/Ft. Worth. YEE-HAW! Wink
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Quote:
Once I've seen an episode of Case Closed, I can safely say that I'd never want to rewatch it ever again, so that's my argument against owning it. Once a mystery has been solved, why bother going over it again?

That's your opinion. There are people who will watch an episode again, especially if they have time to kill. Also, some movies are worth watching again and again, you'd be surprised how many people I know who have movies that they just can't get enough of. Just because you won't watch something again, doesn't mean everyone will follow suit.

I also thought that CC had no re-watch value at all, but I've changed my opinion since re-watching it on DVD. Something about how the episodes are written and played out makes them fun to watch even if I know what's going to happen(though I've actually forgotten how several of the cases were solved.) But I think the main reason is I've come to really like the characters(except for Agasa--I can't stand his riddles.) I agree about the movies; some of the later ones are better than the TV show overall.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Has the Conan dub gotten back in exact order after all this time? I'm sticking with the manga as far as continiuty goes, but I do miss the English voices. They were really good. And while I was watching some subbed episodes, all sites that had them got banned.
parakiss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree that the accent for baccano! can be really bad at times. I think they need acting class on some of the scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4