• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Clips Posted by MTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The thing about the DN movies is, even though they took some liberties with the source material,[According to fans, anyway, since I have yet to see them.] they didn't dumb down the story into a low-budget distillation of other more popular J-horror movies before it.

No, no they kinda did. Laughing

GATSU wrote:

I mean, it doesn't look like a Ring/Ju-On/Dark Water-wannabe; it looks like an adaptation of Death Note. And that's all fan really wanted from it.

If all fans really just wanted an adaptation of Death Note like DB:E looks to be an adaptation of DB, then yeah, you're right. Laughing

Hika Yagami wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Did anyone else get a Trojan condom commercial as they watched these clips? Isn't this movie rated PG?

I got a commercial telling me to work at Hooters XDDD. (over my dead body)

Depends on the body, they may not mind. <badamching> Laughing
(No really, Hooters have some good foods though.)

Hika Yagami wrote:

While I agree that the movie barely has anything in common with the original source material, I'm still going to see it anyways due to the campiness(not sure if that's the correct term) of it all. I enjoy a good campy show now and then, especially with poor fight scenes. It's also a good excuse to get some movie popcorn and snacks Anime hyper. There's also the fact that that my sis wants to watch it due to the fact that she likes that Justin guy for some weird reason Confused .

So, the early summer's first popcorn movie then? Laughing
(And everybody has their weird hots-for.)
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
[quote]So, the summer's first popcorn movie then? Laughing
(And everybody has their weird hots-for.)[/quote]

Pretty much. Nothing makes a campy movie more enjoyable than eating popcorn and a bunch of sugary snacks and a drink(preferebly something really sweet like an Icee). The sugar high helps you to enjoy the campy part of the movie. Well, for me anyways but I like campy Anime hyper.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Instead of a interview, there should be a segment of the director and the entire staff apologizing to anyone to actually watched the movie. Or at the very least have the directors admit the movie was beyond horrible.

Be honest....you wanted them to commit Seppuku.
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
The dialogue in these clips is truly awful; so clumsy and impossible to act out naturally. Plus, the fighting scenes were no impressive at all. The editing was far too quick, there were only short cuts after cuts, and you couldn't really see anything. It makes you think none of those tricks were really performed, and that the actors/stuntmen are no good. Even the CG effects were lame - and that was one thing I had expected them to actually put effort into. Oh dear...

So, yeah, everything was wrong. Only a couple of names reminded me that this was a Dragonball movie (and believe me, "Roshi" was not one of them).
foxia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Good lord. I got to see this film when it made it's premiere in Japan. Zac said it best, "Just one big steaming pile." It's going to fail miserably at the box office here in the US. -_-

spoiler[the story is nowhere near coherent.

It's not even an adaption of the original work. It just took certain parts of the manga edited out the parts that made it fun and original and decide to give us a typical Generic High school setting story, and labeled it dragonball just so they can make some money.

The acting is horrid, Most these actors being Justin Chatwin, James Marsters, Emmy Rossum, and Joon Park might never see work in hollywood again after this movie....

The fighting sequences are to short, the specifal effects are crap. At the end of the film when he finally uses the khamehama attack, It looks like something you'd see in a movie from the late 80's early 90's.

The film isn't even campy. Dragonball manga and anime were campy and fun. DB:E is nowhere near campy. It's so bad it makes you just dream of commiting sepuku right their in the theater. ]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
BTW, it's not April 8 anymore, but April 10, which means FOX knows it's gonna bomb. Laughing
KuraiWarrior1227

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Pffft I've seen 20 minutes or so of the movie online already, and dear god I felt like shooting myself after watching it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2