• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rock on with K-ON!

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Movie!!

I had been watching the first season in English recently, so it was a weird feeling getting back to the Japanese voices. And on the talk of languages, there is going to be difficulty in dubbing the movie since a few of the jokes work around the fact that they have some problems with understanding English. Perhaps they could do a language switch where the English speaking Japanese girls, visit a Japanese speaking London. The English voices in the movie weren't bad either, most were a step up from what you get in TV series, a couple very good, and they all seemed to have English accents.

Mio was sure spoiler[happy to get the trip choice, I like how Yui seemed to not know that London was in Europe, or that it was even in England, I was half expecting her to ask where the UK was.] The movie did what they do best, music and cute girls, there was also a few exchanges where the girls are missing on what someone is saying. But as an English speaker it was easy to understand what situations they ended up in, Ritsu spoiler[says "yes" a bit too much, which either confuses people, or has them end up on a stage singing in a sushi bar.]

Oh, and really important plot point, Yui and Ui in fact do have parents, we see their faces.

I really enjoyed the movie, a plot point of it was how the elder four came up with the song for Azusa, which made me tear up on the graduation ceremony episode. I need sleep now, it is almost 3 in the morning, I will probably rate it when I am not so tired tomorow.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
I love when Aki Toyosaki adds those deeper voices to Yui, it makes you think she's only obfuscating stupidity the entire time. My problem with the film: not enough chavs to properly represent England, and where were the knife surrender boxes?

I enjoyed the film more when they were in London, but the film is by no means just about that trip. If anything, it's fully contained only in the second act. I wish it were longer, to show the Keions exploring the city even more and discover the origins of British rock n' roll. At least they played a good amount of music this time.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it silly that I was thrilled that their hotel was in Earls Court, since that's the area were I stayed when I visited London 5 years ago? I was disappointed, however, that they didn't use the Earl's Court station at all, as that was where my hotel was closest to.

I found the movie to be well worth the wait and it reminded me of all the reasons why I love K-On!

The only thing that bothered me a bit was the fact that it seemed like the English characters all had blue eyes and also seemed to be exaggeratingly tall.

I'll be damned if Yui didn't sound even more incredibly cute when she was speaking in English!
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see the fuller ranges of motion in all of the characters that having a movie budget allowed.

In the end, I enjoyed the fact that it wasn't totally a "let's be cute in London" story but had a little depth to it.

A couple of things entertained me to no end:

Azusa saying she was spoiler[seventeen at the airport]. This seems like it was an inside joke of the anime industry.

The girls being surprised that spoiler[a conveyor sushi place was so fancy]. Seems like something that many Japanese would be confused by.

The spoiler[testing of Sawako's female ninja get-ups on Nadoka, Ui, and Jun] was adorable!

My only real trifle with it was the voice acting at the sushi bar; that was terrible. All the other British voices were fine; even the lady at the hotel spoke in the slow, deliberate manner that helps when speaking with non-English speakers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21