• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press to Reissue Azumanga in New English Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulrich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Osaka probably won't be talking in that silly "Brooklyn accent" and Yukari won't switch from a Spanish teacher to an English teacher midway through the series.
Also, I believe ADV left out some of the translator notes on one or two volumes, if I'm not mistaken, so this gives Yen Press a chance to fix that, as well.

Well, in ADV's defence, Osaka speaks Oosaka-ben, which is quite different from standard Japanese. Not that that makes it any better.

As for Yukari-sensei, she IS an English teacher, not a Spanish teacher. The reason for the sudden switch was that the translator was booted, and a new one took over. The old translator apparently thought it weird to have a teacher teaching English as a foreign language in an English-language book, so he turned her into a Spanish teacher instead. This is also the case in the English dub for the anime.

Regarding the notes, no notes were even present until the translator switch.

In any case, this news has caught my interest. I wanna know more.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Believe. Nothing.

If that's the case why is this article on ANN then?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks bleuster for mentioning that "English/Spanish teacher" mix-up. I've yet to buy the original omnibus (bought the anime boxset a few months ago, and loved this series! Very Happy ), and when this was announced, I was like, "great, which version am I supposed to buy?!" Now I'm definitely going with the Yen Press version.
mulrich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Thanks bleuster for mentioning that "English/Spanish teacher" mix-up. I've yet to buy the original omnibus (bought the anime boxset a few months ago, and loved this series! Very Happy ), and when this was announced, I was like, "great, which version am I supposed to buy?!" Now I'm definitely going with the Yen Press version.

Well, ADV actually fixed the English/Spanish teacher thing in the omnibus. They also changed most mentions of x amount of dollars back to the original amounts of yen. It still lacks notes for the first two volumes worth of manga, though.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Well, ADV actually fixed the English/Spanish teacher thing in the omnibus. They also changed most mentions of x amount of dollars back to the original amounts of yen. It still lacks notes for the first two volumes worth of manga, though.

Well then, I guess I'll just buy whichever one turns out to be cheaper (unless YP adds the notes that were missing, in which case I'll go with YP).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I was had not more than 30 minutes after midnight, after getting home from a long day at work... I'm on strict lookout for the rest of the day. Smile
You don't have to worry about April Fools here on ANN, at least not if they haven't changed their policies. Last I heard, they dropped doing fake news because some people took a few of the articles a tad too seriously. (And lets face it, things are so odd right now that any thing could happen and we'd all just nod and say "sure, fine, whatever.")

I'm beginning to think maybe Yen Press has just plain taken over the big names from ADV's list of manga (if not their entire orphaned line) what with Yotsuba& and now Azumanga. Perhaps the'll go for the trifecta at least and give us more Gunslinger Girl?

God knows ADV isn't going to do squat with their manga any time soon.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
Well I know they didn't put all the notes in the Omnibus. I think the first two were left out of that.

The first two single volumes didn't /have/ any notes. Last two were handled a lot better, imho.
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I have the Omnibus edition of the manga and the thinpack set of the series, so I won't be getting this, unless it has a lot of extras. And even then, it will be iffy.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
New English edition? Does that mean Osaka is going to speak like her English anime counterpart now?

I sure hope so. The southern accent works so much better than the Brooklyn.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Waste of licensing money, especially since you can still get that book in most stores. If Yen wants to "save"any old ADV manga series, I'd rather it be Cromartie High. Anyway, this just proves Azumanga wasn't that profitable, if ADV was willing to let it go so easily, since they held on to it longer than Yotsuba, which is probably even less successful than it. But testor will tell me otherwise. Rolling Eyes
Tiamats Reviews

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yen Press have confirmed that the edition they're releasing is NOT the 10th Anniversary version, and when asked about Gunslinger Girl said they wanted to wait till it was more concrete before commenting. Which gave me the impression they were interested in the series.

Full info in the follow up Q&A on my site: http://www.tiamatsreviews.com/?p=1719
Tiamats Reviews

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Waste of licensing money, especially since you can still get that book in most stores. If Yen wants to "save"any old ADV manga series, I'd rather it be Cromartie High. Anyway, this just proves Azumanga wasn't that profitable, if ADV was willing to let it go so easily, since they held on to it longer than Yotsuba, which is probably even less successful than it. But testor will tell me otherwise. Rolling Eyes

Actually Yen Picked up Yotsuba first, and then later Azumanga, which they picked up after a load of requests. So you know what to do if you want them to pick up other titles, get off your butt and drop them a line. Let them know people are interested and they'll respond.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I just did e-mail 'em. [I think...] But I doubt anyone was requesting Azumanga, since they can buy it in bulk in stores already, and anyone who's a fan already owns it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2