• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'm right now studying in Japan and managed to catch this on TV today at 5pm - wasn't sure if I was gonna make it home in time, but I'm glad I did. Very Happy I'm getting impatient waiting for other people to start discussing it Anime hyper I guess everyone else is still waiting for the legal stream/other methods of watching it.

My Japanese level is only intermediate, so I was lost on most of the political/military intrigue, but I generally understood what was going on. My general thoughts, which aren't terribly spoiler-ific, but which I'm hiding just in case: spoiler[Basically, this episode has a similar presentation and feeling as the first episode of the original series. It starts in medius res like the original anime, with Al and Ed already working for the military on a case. All of the main characters - Ed, Al, Roy, Riza, Maes, Armstrong, Bradley (not necessarily in that order) are introduced fairly quickly in this episode. I think Winry is the only major character who hasn't been introduced yet. There's a good mix of comedy and action in this episode, although the "No, Al is the YOUNGER brother joke" gets pretty old after awhile.

If anything, this series seems to be following the tone of the manga more closely in having a lot more comedy and being less angsty (although the opening theme, which I love, is a bit on the emo side). The original first episode featured discussions about sin, death, God, science, etc., but none of those themes seem to be especially emphasized in this first new episode at least. Al and Ed even discuss getting Al getting his body back at one point, and the tone isn't guilt-laden or depressing at all, like this type of discussion usually was in the first series. Instead, Al cheerfully says he's making a list of food to eat when he gets his body back - I don't think that sort of list has ever been mentioned in the manga? (it definitely wasn't in the original anime).

The character design is closer to the manga, with the more squarish-looking faces and thicker-looking bodies, although the contrast with the first series isn't too glaring. Outside of the main charcacter designs, it's easy to forgot you're watching a new series. The comedic scenes are definitely more manga-styled, especially the chibi Ed scenes.

I think I understand a bit why this series is called "Brotherhood" (at least in the English version). If this series follows the tone of the manga closely like it seems to be doing, Ed and Al won't have the same emotional connection like they did in the first anime, but they definitely are working better as a team in this new version. Ed gets all the flashy action scenes, of course, but Al saves his butt on several occasions in this one episode alone - for example, acting as a shield. It's not like this dynamic doesn't exist at all the first anime version, but I was surprised by how many times Al covered for Ed in this episode (well, it was at least two times, but it could have been more). Al seems a bit more emotionally strong and tougher as well, but it's hard to tell at this point. ]

Any one else seen it yet and have comments? ^^

EDIT: Forgot to say that the preview for the next episode spoiler[promises to be a flashback of how Al lost his body and of how Ed lost his arm/leg, so it will probably be more instrospective and angsty than this first episode. Also, the ending theme/animation is probably the cutsiest of all of the FMA endings so far - definitely a contrast to the original. ]
Makasu_des

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and i could not help but curse to the heavens. WHYY!!!!

So much so different ruins the original image of the show, the animation goes along the lines of the kiddy stuff you see airing these days taking away all seriousness.

I feel they wanted to use the original fans to milk as much money as they could from the series. It's the only logic as to why they would throw the whole picture into disarray. Reminds me of a certain series *cough* eva
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
(To be fair, the licensed translations don’t make perfect sense either. There is absolutely no reason for the name Elizabeth to be abbreviated into Riza, and I feel that Resembool had something to do with the word “Resemble.” Winley also makes more sense than Winry, and I also think Ishvar is a better transliteration than Ishbal, but your mileage may vary.)

Actually, I’ve heard of Resembool being written as Leisenburg (German for City of Giants) before.

Actually, that would be Riesenburg. Makes sense, thinking about it, even if it did seem weird at first.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I decided to go ahead and watch the first episode (though I'll wait for Funimation to do the rest). I was hoping for less SD animation. But then again, the first series had a lot of SD too, so it's to be expected. So far I'm enjoying the story and I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest. But I do hope that they start to cut back on the SD as the series goes on. Over all I think the animation is about as good as the first series' was. One positive that I'm seeing from it is that I like the use of alchemy in it so far. The first series just kind of introduced to idea and kept it pretty general stuff. But this time they really seem to be trying new and interesting things with it. The actions scenes are done well, very smooth. Over all, looking like it's going to be pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
was this in the manga? cause i don't remember any of this ever happening. in any case, that was an awesome first episode.
mrhomiec

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
i don't remember that from the manga either.
the only thing i can think of is they're starting it different,
but then transitioning to the manga after the flashback?

guess we'll have to wait 2 weeks to find out.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I knew it, it isn't really going to be loyal to the manga. I'm actually hoping that they don't go by the manga. I think it's interesting when they take it in a different direction. I think it lets the writers and directors be a bit freer to do something new and interesting. But I guess it's still to soon to judge this for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The first episode or more precisely the Isaac storyline is not in the manga at all. However there were little mentions/scenes here and there that were relevant to the manga plot line.

Basically I think they started off with an anime only episode because the early parts of the manga are so similar to the first anime series that they didn't want to confuse viewers who don't read the manga that this is just the same thing all over again.

So yes I am pretty sure this will follow the manga (in fact that is what the staff behind the series has stated in interviews). They also mentioned Liore twice in this episode so I think they will end up there eventually (as it is important to the manga storyline just in a different way than the first anime).

spoiler[About the whole Al food/list thing no I don't recall that specifically either. But Al does talk about eating certain food when he gets his body back so it fits his character

Not that the FMA manga doesn't have it's share of angst and drama but unlike the first anime series there is much more a feeling of hope to the series overall. Even if characters have moments where they feel lost or almost give up they pick themselves up again. This is an important element to the manga storyline.

And yes Al is much more emotionally stable and a stronger character in the manga. I disagree with those that the first anime has more of a bond between the two brothers. It's quite the opposite in fact. In the first anime Al relies so much on Ed. In the manga Ed and Al rely on each other.]
ihateyouranimes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was a bit weird. I wasn't sure how they were going to do it (start right at the beginning? Start where the manga and first series branched away from each other?), and this seems a bit superfluous. It felt like an extended introduction to the cast, but does anyone actually need that at this point?

I'm definitely going to keep watching though, if only to see what it's like once things 'settle down' a bit and they start following the regular plot. (And whoever was wishing for less SD, I wholeheartedly agree with you. It works in the manga, but not so much in the anime.)
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Guys this first episode was clearly just an ice breaker, chill out. Wink
ihateyouranimes wrote:
(And whoever was wishing for less SD, I wholeheartedly agree with you. It works in the manga, but not so much in the anime.)
I disagree.
guet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I was entertained by the first episode. Al does seem to be more reliable, the voices of the supporting cast seem to fit the characters well enough, and the mix of action/comedy seems to be just about right (although they really did overuse the Al is not Ed joke). The animation is good, I also really like the opening, and it was nice to see certain characters again. My complaint so far is that the camera cut away during some of the violence. I actually want to see the actions results, not just the shiny transmutations. Still, I'm very interested to see where the story is going this time.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
guet wrote:
I was entertained by the first episode. Al does seem to be more reliable, the voices of the supporting cast seem to fit the characters well enough, and the mix of action/comedy seems to be just about right (although they really did overuse the Al is not Ed joke). The animation is good, I also really like the opening, and it was nice to see certain characters again. My complaint so far is that the camera cut away during some of the violence. I actually want to see the actions results, not just the shiny transmutations. Still, I'm very interested to see where the story is going this time.
spoiler[So the blood gushing out of Isaac did nothing for you?]
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's very simple: just don't watch it.

Err no not really. I thought the first episode was all over the place. Aside from the animation which was awsome I felt for a first episode, it rely's too much on people already knowing roughly what is going on. It jumps straight into the action and seems rushed. There is noticably more emphasis on humor and the atmposphere feels on the whole, less dark than the origional anime. So far my opinion of it is 'meh'. The new story/manga adaptation is inviting but the way this first episode was executed, I felt it was poor. I cant put my finger on it other than to say it was just not that special. Obviously this is only the first episode and I can already see where the changes are coming in but already I dont particularly like the way that we are introduced to most of the cast in a rather blaise way and they seem tame compared to thier origional anime counterparts. This is most noticable with Mustang, who seems to have lost the edge he had in the first series.

I just dont like the way this first episode just dumps you into the story without really taking the time to reintroduce the characters and build some kind of suspence. I think it is a poor first episode or more to the point I think the episode is out of place. We will have to wait and see.

So far I'm not impressed but I will wait and see.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well, being an ENORMOUS FMA fangirl myself (I met Sonny Strait this weekend! Chaaaa~! Anime hyper), I had to check this out.

I enjoyed what I saw, but I do absolutely think it is supplementary material to the manga and/or original anime. I can't see someone really getting hooked into this show not being familiar with the originals. Furthermore, even if it was interesting to the non-inducted, all the character introductions were CLEARLY aimed at squealing fans. I mean, really aimed at fans. The original series had some great, subtle introductions that told you so much about the characters themselves before reducing them to their inside gags and what would be fan favorite sillinesses. This series? Every character bursts out announcing their name and already alluding to their trademark idiocies.

Gracia and Elicia were only there for a split second so everyone could shout "YAY!"

We hear Armstrong's and Kimblee's voices saying something very reminiscent of their former incarnations before they APPEAR! Everyone cheer!

The biggest shout-out to fans has to be Riza's comment about how Roy should stick to being worthless only on rainy days. It wasn't necessary and to those who don't know the physics of alchemy, etc., it wouldn't make sense or be funny, but the fans will scream. Same thing with the barely-introduced Armstrong paying the boys a visit in the hospital and um...entertaining them. It's funny to fans, but the uninitiated would certainly have rejected Armstrong as garish, confusing, and probably gay, too, which would be out of the ballpark, but his introduction served the assumption. They can get away with it because of the first series and manga. Otherwise, this episode was information overload with a bunch of weird guys doing weird things that no one really gets at all. The first series had a fantastic introduction and didn't cram all the characters into it like celebrity gags in Family Guy because it would have DIED from such poor writing, but these are two different animals, right? This time around they can do that.

Actually, this whole episode was a brawlfest that didn't bother to explain much of anything, which makes sense given that FMA is a phenomenon that most people are familiar with, I guess...

But if I may make a hypothesis, I believe that this show will do precisely what the manga does: have more incredible action scenes and screwball humor than the last series by far...but not be nearly as dramatically sophisticated as the original series. This one already screams to be fan-pandering and sophomoric, but that's not such a bad thing, as the first series had social commentary blowin' out the bazoo, and guts and glory from the manga will be wicked fun in animation. Not a bad start, let's see if it can hold its weight for...how many episodes? A long long time. I can already tell that the famous death scenes and shocking twists will have very limited impact on this go-round, so the creators had better play up the high-gloss animation and violent action for them instead of the tender tragedy of the older show.

Continuity-wise, my guess is that they'll do the opposite of what the first series did. Let's see, the first series followed the manga for about 23 episodes faithfully (with some changes to compensate for the eventual completely different ending, a GREAT idea), then shifted the focus but kept some plot details until episode 34, and finally changing the story entirely through episode 51 and the movie. In "Brotherhood," I'll bet they're going to come up with mostly original material for a lot of the beginning that sets up plot points for the parts in the manga that never made it to the anime. So, around the "Lab Five" arc, things may start repeating, but until then, I'll bet your buttons many events will be completely different, alluding to chaos in Liore, Scar's escapades, etc., but approaching them from an askew angle. This does mean no spoiler[Shou Tucker], though....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!! (Hate that creep!) Anyway, point is that by Greed's appearance, things will be 100% on target with the manga almost panel-for-panel, given the fan's rabidness for that kind of thing.

Personally, I'll enjoy just seeing more FMA, as I do love it, but I don't expect great great things from this. The entire concept of an FMA reboot isn't needed at all, but I'll fanwankingly check for new episodes every week, albeit not with the passion I had for the original show, but more to see "Is THAT fight from the manga coming up yet?" "Are they gonna animate spoiler[Envy's true form/Gluttony's belly-hell] this week! YAY!" It's sad, I know. Honestly, all of my guy friends were whining about how they wished the scenes from the manga were in the original anime, and are crazy about this, while all of my girl friends side with me in saying that this will be fun just because it is Fullmetal Alchemist, but the manga could stand on its own and just be a separate enjoyable story without this extreme fan-pandering endeavor that promises to show us everything we've already seen in black ink from right to left.

Hm. Who is that gent reading the preview at the end? Someone important? Or just a random narrator? I'm not a fan of the random narrator idea, not in most cases. It even hurt Elfen Lied a little in the emotional investment sense.

Last edited by JacobC on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was excellent. Seems a little weird for me because I watched Fullmetal Alchemist in English and now watching it in Japanese is just different. I was impressed I found that the action wasn't rushed and left a good first impression for a first episode. The animation was top notch and can't wait for the next one.

Now I'm waiting for Eden of the East, Shangri-La, Valkyria Chronicles and Basquash!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 64