• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valkyria Chronicles -- discussion thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
It was boring actually. I wish there was more action. At least, the series should end on a good note if they follow the video game very closely.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
Starting with episode 22, the anime basically veers completely away from the game's storyline. It looks like the main climax is gonna be at Ghirlandio now since they don't have enough epsidoes left to incorporate everything else that happened in the game. We know they're gonna get spoiler[The Marmota] in there now though.

Really though, what they've done with Alicia here in the anime actually makes more sense than how they handled it in the game. It's just common sense that a general like Gregor would end up spoiler[snatching Alicia away and turning her into a weapon]. The strain Alicia's change puts on her relationship with Welkin was mostly glossed over in the game. I'm actually glad they're focusing on it here.

In the game, spoiler[after Naggiar they kinda disregard her being a Valkyria. She stays with Squad 7, and Gregor actually sends them on a covert mission to attack Ghirlandio] (one of my favorite missions just because of how tactfully I handled it).

The last time I remember her going into Valkyria mode in the game (which could still happen in the anime) spoiler[was when she tried to do her final flame (self-destruct atomic bomb basically) to stop The Marmota from annihilating Squad 7. At that point Welkin confesses and proposes to her with a ring made from a flower and the Vaklyria powers disperse.]

However, it does look like they will throw in the game's final plot twist concerning the truth behind the Darcsens as they hinted at it in episode 23. All that stuff could end up going down at Ghirlandio, but then that would mean they wouldn't be able to bring out the other big secret about Castle Rangriz (has that even been shown in full in the anime?)

What I'm really gonna miss though is that final battle with Jaeger. That's probably my favorite mission in the entire game and made a great climax for one of the story's better characters. I hope they don't just throw Jaeger off to the side in the anime.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

However, it does look like they will throw in the game's final plot twist concerning the truth behind the Darcsens as they hinted at it in episode 23.

What did they hint on? I don't remember them talking about the Darcsens at all, besides some grunting by Zaka and Welkin's spoiler[dream with Isara]
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
However, it does look like they will throw in the game's final plot twist concerning the truth behind the Darcsens as they hinted at it in episode 23. All that stuff could end up going down at Ghirlandio, but then that would mean they wouldn't be able to bring out the other big secret about Castle Rangriz (has that even been shown in full in the anime?)

Maximilian made mention of the engineers almost (perhaps being?) done with their conversion work on the Marmota at the end of episode 22 or 21. It looks like that secret component wasn't in Castle Randgriz after all. And I can't remember if they ever showed a shot of the castle.

RedSwirl wrote:
What I'm really gonna miss though is that final battle with Jaeger. That's probably my favorite mission in the entire game and made a great climax for one of the story's better characters. I hope they don't just throw Jaeger off to the side in the anime.

Yeah, for me that was the only hard one the first time through, because I didn't fully comprehend the whole Lupus-will-fully-heal-itself-if-you-don't-kill-all-the-repair-depots aspect. But I have a feeling that Jaeger will somehow end up helping the Gallians and/or turning on Maximilian.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

However, it does look like they will throw in the game's final plot twist concerning the truth behind the Darcsens as they hinted at it in episode 23.

What did they hint on? I don't remember them talking about the Darcsens at all, besides some grunting by Zaka and Welkin's spoiler[dream with Isara]

Perhaps this is a reference to spoiler[what Cordelia was talking to Faldo about (that we didn't hear) that she said she was ashamed about]? I did think that was a very curious and mysterious conversation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Niomo wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

Perhaps this is a reference to spoiler[what Cordelia was talking to Faldo about (that we didn't hear) that she said she was ashamed about]? I did think that was a very curious and mysterious conversation.

thats true. though i was thinking that was just a "i could have helped alicia not be a slave" conversation, or a "i knew alicia and servetia back in the day"
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
As long as they stay true (I haven't played the game but read about it) to the ending of the game where spoiler[Alicia and Welkin get married and have a daughter named Isara], I'm happy.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
As long as they stay true (I haven't played the game but read about it) to the ending of the game where spoiler[Alicia and Welkin get married and have a daughter named Isara], I'm happy.

i wouldnt be surprised if they followed it. easy ending for them Razz
spoiler[
from my experiences couples in anime either die horribly or live together forever Razz]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Niomo, your spoiler tag does make a lot of sense because I have seen the same thing in various anime series or have read about those happening.
Niomo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
haha thanks.

ps: spoiler[i will rage quit the series forever if they decide that welkin/alicia/both need to die. for some reason they are my favorite anime "couple" atm.]
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Niomo wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

spoiler[now that was a good secret. gogo Darcsen princess.]

i am kinda disappointed at the melee art that occurred. maybe because im used to the extremely detailed gun fights, but i just felt like they could have done more.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I love how the climax is building up and that the character relationships have become as strong as they have been earlier in the series.
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
you know, i'll gladly admit ill miss spoiler[the general. yeah, i hated his character, but i think it was one that was needed to make the show feel realistic. soldiers will always be tools to their superiors. thats just how armies work. but i did say "finally" when he got valk nuked.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
If I never again see another anime which uses the line "we'll settle this with one blow," I will be quite happy. That is maybe the single most overused line in the entire medium.

I must say, though, that the "big secret" revealed in episode 24 impressed me. Not sure what I was expecting, but I didn't see that one coming. Much more disappointing is the tired direction Maximilian seems to be going in. Guess he didn't have that much promise after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I expected Maximilian's "operation" to go like that.

i mean, spoiler[they showed us a giant tank when the servant told the princess that he was there. even if the princess did marry him, i doubt that that tank would have just chilled out in the forest. it would have come smashing through anyways.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14