• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valkyria Chronicles -- discussion thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
i am kinda disappointed at the melee art that occurred. maybe because im used to the extremely detailed gun fights, but i just felt like they could have done more.

I'm giving just a gentle reminder to please use proper capitalization when posting, please. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I can tell you guys right now that this whole chapter was handled far better in the game.

First of all, the history behind spoiler[Cordelia being a Darcsen] wasn't fully explained here like it was in the game. They hinted at the other details earlier in the anime when they were talking about the Darcsen disaster, so they might still bring it up later. That still doesn't get this episode off the hook though.

In the game, Maximilian knew full well spoiler[that Cordelia was a Darcsen] going in. He wanted something else (that might still happen here in the anime). Furthermore, the appearance of spoiler[The Marmota] was a bigger deal. It occurred right after spoiler[Selvaria self destructed, taking General Gregor and the entire Gallian regular army with her. This left the militia as the last and only line of defense against that massive weapon.] I know that situation is probably gonna play out somewhat in the anime, but it won't have the same gravity that it had in the game.

Then of course there is Jaeger. He got sent off in the game with a pretty epic battle that we probably won't be seeing here. I know that battle wasn't really essential to the overall storyline, but it would've been nice to do his character right. Now I fear they're just gonna throw Jaeger away along with the rest of the bad guys.

At least they handled the thing between Selvaria and Alicia better.

Also, judging by the end of episode 24 and the preview for 25 though, it looks like the final battle with Maximilian in the anime will be the same as it was in the game.
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, Red, since there are still 2 episodes left both the spoiler[Darcsen History stuff] and maybe a Jaeger battle are still possible. Personally, not playing the game, I feel that they've done a pretty good job explaining everything. Though I would like to know a bit more about this "facility" the Valkyria used to chill out in.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Explaining everything? Come on, that's just senseless.
Many things left unexplained. Welkin's dad, was one. I don't remember his past being explained in the anime, or was it?
Darcsen's history. So far all we know is that they are a blue haired race with a curse upon.
When was that special tank made, exactly by who and how(the one Isara was always around).
Plus all of the huge and "cool" tanks that just keep popping up out of nowhere.
And what exactly are the valkyria, why were they instinct and why do they have unexplained super powers and a self destruction that looks like a nuclear bomb.

They are just taking it for granted that we all played the game or they really want us to play the game to understand it. Either way, without the game the anime is incomplete.
And yes, I know there're 2 episodes left.
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
the tank was made by Welkin's dad. they said that a long time ago...
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
the tank was made by Welkin's dad. they said that a long time ago...

That doesn't explain how and when. Either way you can't build something like that by yourself. Who helped him, was it his army friends, a secret group within the army or the townsfolk?
It's not really such an important fact and I wouldn't mind if that was the only case. But come on, they skipped so many things so far.

Last edited by egoist on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I suppose. I just assumed it wasn't that important to the story at hand. They can always make an OVA while they wait for VC2 (PSP) to come out.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
What annoys me is that spoiler[Alicia gets beaten around for several hours and then so easily defeats Selvaria. That's something you expect from Dragonball Z; heck, even Goku had to work to defeat Freeza after transforming into Super Saiyan.]

Oh, and another thing. spoiler[How did Maximilian's mobile fortress get so close to the Palace?] The two biggest frontal guns looked to be several times the calibre of the 18.1 inch leviathans the Yamato used. So big in fact that if it fired even one of them (impossible since that kind of recoil off-centre would destroy the fortress) would destroy the entire fortress. Yeah, you heard me, whether it wished to fire one or both cannons, either way the mobile fortress would have been destroyed.

But anyway, who in their right mind would let something that powerful spoiler[get within spitting distance of the capital?] Remember, the largest naval guns can fire at targets beyond the horizon, i.e. dozens of kilometres away. The Gallians spoiler[gave some weak-arse excuse for letting it that close, but let me tell you; if I were the Gallians I would have recalled my entire army to combat that thing. After all, if Maximilian was truly on a peace-making mission he wouldn't have needed to bring so much firepower.]

Another problem; what was the issue with Cordelia? spoiler[I'm not talking about her being a Darcsen, I'm talking about her believing that the only two options were to reveal herself as a Darcsen or marry Maximilian. She could and should have kept the wig on and just told him to bugger off, and that a political marriage to the man who started the war was A: a somewhat medieval tradition that had no place in the twentieth century, and B: completely daft anyway. Who would trust him? Especially when the Gallian army was winning, Maximilian had committed treason against his own country and the battle between Alicia and Selvaria hadn't even finished yet.]

Lastly, what was Maximilian thinking? Saying all those things out loud is a poor way to get what you want, mate. Use your inside voice. Perhaps stupidity was in the air.

But hey, at least spoiler[that annoying Gallian general got offed.] Although we did hear him whinging and whining and being a prick for too long this episode (not to mention all the others).

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
While I agree with most of your complaints, dtm42 (and I, in fact, made many of the same observations when I watched that episode), you really need to remember to use spoiler tags. Your post is pretty much one big spoiler, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry about that Key. Usually I'm not too bad at using the tags. But when I get so worked up and incensed - as I obviously was with this very flawed episode - I tend to focus too much on spitting out my thoughts into the computer, at the expense of forgetting to add spoiler tags and whatnot. I know what it is like to have events spoiled for me, so I'll make a more conscientious effort to use the tags when talking about newly released episodes.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 was really strong to me because spoiler[the team refuses to let their beloved Alicia go. Teams/groups/organizations with strong friendships in anime will fight to their death to protect what becomes their family.]
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What annoys me is that spoiler[Alicia gets beaten around for several hours and then so easily defeats Selvaria. That's something you expect from Dragonball Z; heck, even Goku had to work to defeat Freeza after transforming into Super Saiyan.]

Agreed there.

Oh, and another thing. spoiler[How did Maximilian's mobile fortress get so close to the Palace?] The two biggest frontal guns looked to be several times the calibre of the 18.1 inch leviathans the Yamato used. So big in fact that if it fired even one of them (impossible since that kind of recoil off-centre would destroy the fortress) would destroy the entire fortress. Yeah, you heard me, whether it wished to fire one or both cannons, either way the mobile fortress would have been destroyed.

This is an anime based off of a strategy JRPG taking place in a fantasy world dude. The presence of the Edelweiss, which is basically a Desert Storm tank, in the late 1930s is already impossible.

But anyway, who in their right mind would let something that powerful spoiler[get within spitting distance of the capital?] Remember, the largest naval guns can fire at targets beyond the horizon, i.e. dozens of kilometres away. The Gallians spoiler[gave some weak-arse excuse for letting it that close, but let me tell you; if I were the Gallians I would have recalled my entire army to combat that thing. After all, if Maximilian was truly on a peace-making mission he wouldn't have needed to bring so much firepower.]

Yeah, they really didn't do service to the spoiler[Marmota]'s appearance in the anime. In the game there were two entire missions devoted to spoiler[holding the fortress back].

When spoiler[Selvaria did that self-destruct thing], in the game Squad 7 spoiler[had actually captured her], and spoiler[General Gregor was stupid enough to take the entire Gallian Regular Army up there to celebrate. With no regular army, what commanders remained were left scrambling to organize a militia counterattack on the Marmota.]

The same thing probably happened in the anime, but they didn't convey it that well.

Another problem; what was the issue with Cordelia? spoiler[I'm not talking about her being a Darcsen, I'm talking about her believing that the only two options were to reveal herself as a Darcsen or marry Maximilian. She could and should have kept the wig on and just told him to bugger off, and that a political marriage to the man who started the war was A: a somewhat medieval tradition that had no place in the twentieth century, and B: completely daft anyway. Who would trust him? Especially when the Gallian army was winning, Maximilian had committed treason against his own country and the battle between Alicia and Selvaria hadn't even finished yet.]

Lastly, what was Maximilian thinking? Saying all those things out loud is a poor way to get what you want, mate. Use your inside voice. Perhaps stupidity was in the air.

Couldn't tell you. Like I said, the scene was quite different in the game, so the anime is going off on its own thing here. Maximilian in the game already knew Cordelia's secret and wanted something else (that still might show up in these last episodes).

But hey, at least spoiler[that annoying Gallian general got offed.] Although we did hear him whinging and whining and being a prick for too long this episode (not to mention all the others).
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Explaining everything? Come on, that's just senseless.
Many things left unexplained. Welkin's dad, was one. I don't remember his past being explained in the anime, or was it?

It wasn't explained in the game either. He's just a hero of the previous war (which occurred like 15 years earlier), and that's all we really need to know.

Darcsen's history. So far all we know is that they are a blue haired race with a curse upon.

The game explained it much more thoroughly in the scene with Cordelia and Maximilian, and the anime will probably go into that more in these last two episodes (it better).

When was that special tank made, exactly by who and how(the one Isara was always around).

It was made by Welkin's dad and Isara's biological father during the previous war. It's explained earlier on that many Darcsens are extremely skilled mechanics.

Plus all of the huge and "cool" tanks that just keep popping up out of nowhere.

I assure you spoiler[the Marmota] is the last one.

And what exactly are the valkyria, why were they instinct and why do they have unexplained super powers and a self destruction that looks like a nuclear bomb.

See above concerning the Darcsens.

They are just taking it for granted that we all played the game or they really want us to play the game to understand it. Either way, without the game the anime is incomplete.
And yes, I know there're 2 episodes left.

Really, most of the stuff you're asking about either was explained briefly earlier in the anime and in the game, or will probably be explained in these last two episodes.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I am anxious to see what happens next (we know how slow the subs can be) and how this series wraps up.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Really, most of the stuff you're asking about either was explained briefly earlier in the anime and in the game, or will probably be explained in these last two episodes.

Were you really reading the previous posts?
That was my answer to this:

Niomo wrote:
Personally, not playing the game, I feel that they've done a pretty good job explaining everything.

And I doubt they did a good job explaining everything, up to episode 24.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14