• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eden of the East -- discussion thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Wait....how is this show even remotely similar to Death Note again? I mean if you want extremely stretched comparisons the more correct answer would have been The Bourne Identity. Laughing
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Boy, if that's all you saw in this series then you missed an awful lot. It's certainly your right to be disappointed with the series, but let's not be outright misleading. This was, in the opinions of many, one of the best and most original series of 2009 in Japan.

The show is sure original. Does the fact that many people like it automatically makes it good? I could argue with that.

I actually marathoned the whole thing in one day waiting impatiently for somethin extraordinary that never happened. I got through episodes that were there for no good reasons and elements that I found did not really fit in. Most of the characters seem to be there solely for the puprose of creating a background for the main two; the makers went through the trouble of introducing them, and then left them there doing not much. I might be the only one out there, but I also found Saki quite irritating. Also, I had an impression that the makers tried to make some of the characters original so bad that they overdid it, like is the were saying, what else can we do to make them even weirder. Absurd works in some films, here there was no reason for abusing it.

The series mixes a lot of things that work together quite well, but some bits seem completely out of place when put right next to each other. I was sitting there thinking "what is the point of THAT?", only to find out later there was none. You can argue this is what makes the series original, I thought it was chaotic. Eden tried to be too many things at the same time maybe. And they really overkilled the Johnny joke... It was funny for the first, second or third time, but once it crept up for the 1000th time it got a tad boring.

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Ian K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Kruszer:

The main character gets a super-powered MacGuffin that allows him to turn his desires into reality, and he uses it to outsmart opponents. There is a guide that assists him in learning how to make the best use of this power (Ryuk/Juize) and an ultimate goal that the hero is trying to attain (god/messiah). This isn't all there is to Eden of the East, just all that was interesting Wink .

U_B:

It's you and me against the world, it seems. Bring it, world.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

The show is sure original. Does the fact that many people like it automatically makes it good? I could argue with that.

What is "good" depends upon the viewer. I think Key was saying a lot of people liked it and thought it was original. Does that automatically make it good? Of course not. What is "good" to you depends on what you like. There isn't a universal "good" that everyone agrees upon.

Except for K-ON........ I kid I kid.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Ian K: Smile

Darksorrow29 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

What is "good" depends upon the viewer. I think Key was saying a lot of people liked it and thought it was original. Does that automatically make it good? Of course not. What is "good" to you depends on what you like. There isn't a universal "good" that everyone agrees upon.

Except for K-ON........ I kid I kid.

Of course I understand that, but part of the argument also implied that because so many people liked it and because it was such a successful series, it means that people who happened not to like it didn't understand it or cant appreciate it properly. I think I didn't miss a bit, I just found it didn't hold together well.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Another thing that can kill something for someone is personal expectations or "hype". To me this sounds like the problem. You had an image of it beforehand, it didn't live up to that image, so you were underwhelmed. Personally, I go into everything with practically a blank slate. I watch a trailer or read a plot synopsis and that's about it.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
Not really. I had no image of it or whatsoever. And I didn't hear anything about it before I started watching. It was a spontaneous decision based on the fact that I liked the animation style, and I really liked the first episode. I just didn't like what followed as much.

Afterwards I looked at the ratings and I wondered whether I watched the same show as everyone else Smile
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Not really. I had no image of it or whatsoever. And I didn't hear anything about it before I started watching. It was a spontaneous decision based on the fact that I liked the animation style, and I really liked the first episode. I just didn't like what followed as much.

Afterwards I looked at the ratings and I wondered whether I watched the same show as everyone else Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Eden of The East (TV) (It's all on Hulu now)
Eden of The East the Movie I: The King of Eden
Eden of The East the Movie II: Paradise Lost

A rewatch of the TV series and first movie.
I have to say that splitting the movie from the series was silly. The movies should have been made into a second season. The length of the movies came out to approximately the lenght of 8-9 episodes, if they embellished them a bit more, especially giving more time to the Eden staff (who get very short-changed in the movies), maybe a couple stand alone or side stories, leave more room for levity and there you have another 11-13 episodes instead of two movies that do not stand up well by themselves.

The example of this is my first watch of King of Eden, I posted about it in this thread a few months back. watched 5t without having rewatched the series and I really complained about it. It had no reintroduction of minor characters and the movie simply stops without a good bookending event.

However as a complete story, marathoned in a couple days, I really liked it. The final resolution of the second movie worked well for me- it seemed a bit silly that Juiz would interpret "Being a King" as spoiler["Being an eventual Prime Minister...by relation of being a bastard son of another PM"] but how Akira resolves this was neat and I think it was fitting that spoiler[ nothing was really solved, Mr. Outside's goal really was blatantly unrealistic- what the show demonstrated was that people have strikingly different ideas of what "saving the nation" meant and not every one of them was bad- so all that could really be said was a message of tolerance and a heroic display of taking responsibility.]

And as hinted above, if there was a problem with the movies it was that the format was rather constriting compared to the episodic series. Everything was so tightly focused on figuring out what what was going on that there was no room to have fun with characters like Pantsu, Micchon and the rest.

And, oh.... personally so happy Funimation couldn't or didn't bother licensing the Oasis song for the opening credits of the series past the first episode-- I got so sick of that song after just a couple listens, so once is PLENTY.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer: spoiler[ Did the show ever address how Kuroha Diana Shiratori was able to grow wings and fly?] I’m thinking I must have fallen asleep when this was explained because I’m completely flummoxed by it and its relation to the plot.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Holograms.] If you go back and watch the end of the scene, there's some text on her phone indicating a charge to her account for the service she used. The details of how it worked and how she actually did make her exit from the room aren't clarified, but I'm thinking spoiler[a helicopter picked her up, maybe?]
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for pointing that out, Dorcas_Aurelia.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Do you guys think that there will be a noticeable difference between the blu-ray and dvd release from Funimation? I'm having a hard time deciding which to order.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I just bought the complete series of Eden of the East. I haven't watched this show yet but I heard it ends on a cliffhanger. I also heard that there is 2 movies of Eden of the East being made that take place after the show is over. Now will these 2 movies come over to the united states dubbed or not? Also are they already available in Japan? I really don't wanna watch this show until I have the complete series meaning the show and the 2 movies. So when do the 2 movies come over to the United States dubbed? Thanks

Also how good is this show? On animenewsnetwork.com they gave the story a A saying it was the best anime of the year. Do you think that too? What is soo special about this anime without any spoilers. Thanks
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:
Well I just bought the complete series of Eden of the East. I haven't watched this show yet but I heard it ends on a cliffhanger. I also heard that there is 2 movies of Eden of the East being made that take place after the show is over. Now will these 2 movies come over to the united states dubbed or not? Also are they already available in Japan? I really don't wanna watch this show until I have the complete series meaning the show and the 2 movies. So when do the 2 movies come over to the United States dubbed? Thanks

Also how good is this show? On animenewsnetwork.com they gave the story a A saying it was the best anime of the year. Do you think that too? What is soo special about this anime without any spoilers. Thanks

I have moved this post to this thread from a separate thread because series-dedicated threads are the places to ask such questions.

The first and second movies were in theaters in Japan in late 2009 and early 2010 respectively. Both have been licensed by Funimation, though I don't believe a release date for them has been set yet.

As for how good the series is? It's certainly among the best series of the year and one of the most original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21