• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spring Cleaning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
I am sorry to hear that Rocket Girls has not done well Neutral Crying or Very sad ; I rather enjoyed it. I guess that the licensee was wise to not invest in voice acting.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I just wanted to say about Nerima Daikon Brothers that it has one of the funniest dubs scripts I've ever heard. ADV really went all out when it had to re-write the Japanese puns and other culture jokes that always accompany a Nabeshin anime. Granted, the songs do get repeated, but it's mainly just the beat that is repeated, cause the lyrics change nearly everytime the "Money" song, "Rental" song, or one of Mako's themes is sung.

I watched all of it in the span of two days after I saw the first episode at Ikkicon and bought the singles and artbox from RightStuf's bargain bin, and I fully enjoyed it. If you don't like crude humor though, then it's probably not for you though. But if the thought of the talking butt-plug makes ya laugh, then definitely give it a shot.

Best anime musical ever!

I agree after watching the English dub of Nerima when I bought the singles plus artbox that ADV released like what was it 2 years ago now, maybe 3? But anyways though Nerima is 1 ADV dub that can only be watched in English and in no other language because ADV really did a wonderful job and actually made the original Japanese dub sound like garbage. I watched some of the extras that showed the original Japanese cast and I was like wow they suck so bad. Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, and Chris Patton FTW.
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:

I watched some of the extras that showed the original Japanese cast and I was like wow they suck so bad. Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, and Chris Patton FTW.

Yeah, they all did a good job, especially Patton (when he got to show a bit of emotion). Not too surprising, since most VA's have theatre experience. I liked their ending song too. "We have jobs thanks to you!"
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
"We can pay for our beers thanks to you!"

Not in the slightest bit faithful to the original lyrics, but hilarious nonetheless.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
The shelves: Looks like someone's got some bootleg Full Metal Panic DVDs there.

I noticed that too.
However, that's about all I noticed - whoever photographed those shelves needs to check the flash on their camera, or turn on some lights, or something - how are we supposed to stare in awe at shelves if we can't see what's on them?
Thirded, plus it baffles me how Erin won this week's spot.
There must have been very few submissions this week, because it makes my shelves look like a museum, and that says a lot. :/
torinostu351

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the Rocket Girls nod. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I remember thinking to myself when I was watching it, "Man, this is kind of fun, but I'm really surprised it was ever made." I'll have to check it out again now that you've brought it to my attention.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
There must have been very few submissions this week, because it makes my shelves look like a museum, and that says a lot. :/

It's not really a contest. I just pick a random person every week. ;p
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:

Draw names from a hat, or "eenie meenie miny moe"? Wink
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
So is Dokuro-Chan dubbed yet, or is still only subtitled? (What site am I on, again?) If it is or is ever going to be dubbed, Adult Swim should consider picking it up, since the episodes themselves are only 15 minutes long, and it would do well in between reruns of Superjail and Xavier. But then again, those goobers stopped trying to mix anime and comedy LOOOOOONG AGO. A man can dream though!

Edit: I see that it currently does not have a dub. What a shame, since this show is just begging for one, IMHO!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Dokuro-chan needs no dub.

Half of what Dokuro says is just such is just nonsense.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:

Draw names from a hat, or "eenie meenie miny moe"? Wink

Eenie meenie miney moe. For sure. Completely random. I keep all the submissions, though, so eventually I'll get through all of them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I keep all the submissions, though, so eventually I'll get through all of them.

Yeah, one submission a week. You'll get through all of them in the next ten years, my dear. Add on top of that the submissions you'll be getting for those ten years to give you another ten years worth of Shelf Life. There's just too much anime out there to review nowadays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3