• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is Death Note so popular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eerane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I think that before you judge a series on how popular it is you should
read all of the manga books as well as watch all of the anime. That being said I have read all of the manga and watched all of the anime and I think that Death Note is a very well made story with lots of detail, but I think that the manga was much better. If you want to know why it is so popular you should read the manga.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Eerane wrote:
read all of the manga books as well as watch all of the anime.

I completely disagree on that assessment. True, one should watch most/all of the series to make a statement about it; however, a good adaptation should stand on its own without the support of the source material. If you see a shoddy adaptation of Shakespeare, do you say "don't judge it, since the original play is so much better"? Laughing
arachneia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
In fact, it's not a "maybe". It's rather explicit.

If you're going to dedicate your time to superfluously proving someone wrong or telling someone off or whatever it is that you are hoping to accomplish by pointing me to a post that I've obviously already read, it might help to also take some of that spare time to note that I never said "maybe" in the first place.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Voradors wrote:
but all u have done is try to be a complete ass to me

Twice now, you've told me to read and I believe it's about time you take your own advice, please.

I don't believe I've been an ass to you. I merely questioned the purpose of this thread. If you have read all the replies, then please enlighten us why you didn't view the Death Note thread to begin with, which would have answered your question.

Quote:
when i haven't even said anything that bad about the show.

Bad, negative, sour... pick a word. But I'm still at a loss on how you expect people to answer your question regarding its popularity.

Offended by the remark about what you think? You shouldn't be. It was more to the point on how to address your question without the bias involved.

Quote:
obviously u took some offense because i don't like the show you obviously love. get over it, move on, and grow up.

I've never seen the show, so there was no offense to obtain.

It's about the thread, or more precisely, the question you asked.

So let me now readdress some back to you:
Did any of these posts help you to answer the question of its popularity?

Do you still dislike the show?

I don't want to get into an argument with you. Obviously, you've taken some offense at believing this is a personal attack, and it's not. So accept my apologies for riling you up so much.

I've not been on this forum long and I'm just trying to understand.

It's nothing personal.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Death Note is a very good show. The dub is good, the main characters are pretty unique (evil, maybe hated, but unique), the writing is usually pretty good, and the music is nice. The OP and ED are some of the better ones out there and the animation is very nice.

There are some things not to like about Death Note, but anyone who thinks the show is horrendous is just as biased as those who think it can do no wrong. Honestly, the show is above average in almost every single category, so it's deserving of high marks.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
Ausdoerrt wrote:
In fact, it's not a "maybe". It's rather explicit.

If you're going to dedicate your time to superfluously proving someone wrong or telling someone off or whatever it is that you are hoping to accomplish by pointing me to a post that I've obviously already read, it might help to also take some of that spare time to note that I never said "maybe" in the first place.

Well, I misread your post; you wrote "may be" with the implication that you're fairly certain; I'm guessing that my post led to unnecessary confusion since I, in fact, was agreeing with the point you made. If you keep seeing disagreement where it is not, this discussion will lose the last bit of sense it still retains Rolling Eyes
PbtoOt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Deathnote is so popular because of L. He's so smart and so appealing. I do love Deathnote. Very Happy

--------------------------------------

[no advertising]
ChristenZilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Voradors wrote:
but all u have done is try to be a complete ass to me

Twice now, you've told me to read and I believe it's about time you take your own advice, please.

I don't believe I've been an ass to you.

It does look like you were acting like one. Maybe you should tone it down a little, you were being pretty harsh. Honestly I have read the whole thread, and I still don't see your point you were trying to get across.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Eerane wrote:
read all of the manga books as well as watch all of the anime. That being said I have read all of the manga and watched all of the anime and I think that Death Note is a very well made story with lots of detail, but I think that the manga was much better. If you want to know why it is so popular you should read the manga.

I disagree- while techincally, this would allow for the most 'informed' opinion, if you hate the show, there's no reason to keep going with it just to fully justify your opinion. Actually, I think that could be part of the basis for this whole thread- what precisely is everyone seeing that I don't, so I can figure out if maybe I need to give this another try. Something like that. (I know I'd be curious to hear a Lucky Star breakdown, becuase as much as I like comedic slice-of-life, I struggled to get through 10 minutes of that before turning it off.)
Pork Cracklins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
First off, let me say that I haven't watched the anime yet, but I have read the manga. I loved the manga, I thought the whole story was brilliant from start to finish.

One of the big reasons I ended up liking Death Note so much is also one of the reasons some people have expressed dislike for it. That being the fact that the main character can easily be very unlikable. I found it very refreshing to be presented with a protagonist that you could either love or hate, and boy did I hate Light with every fiber of my being. spoiler[Which made the ending all the sweeter, what Ryuk does is so perfect. After L's death, my hope to see Light's downfall kept me reading!]. Upon finishing the manga I was so happy and thoroughly satisfied that I actually played "Celebration" by cool & the Gang and did a little dance right then and there.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
ChristenZilla wrote:
It does look like you were acting like one. Maybe you should tone it down a little, you were being pretty harsh. Honestly I have read the whole thread, and I still don't see your point you were trying to get across.

The fault is entirely mine and I take full responsibility.

It's been a long time since I've been on a forum, and I've got to learn to "read between the lines".

To the OP: I again apologize.

To the readers: You as well, and thanks for dealing with me.

It's amazing how 5 years changed online forums. Just about every forum I visit now has "Teh Rules" to be polite, which weren't around "back then".

People wrote what they meant. It's not easy to comprehend some times, especially in the world of text, which is easy to misinterpret.

I'm learning. Just give me a little time.
Smile
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Death Note has been mistreated and wrongly looked at by a lot of people.Many people just like it for its dark appeal but I like the slow transformations of all the characters and the battle of wits between the two main characters.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

To the readers: You as well, and thanks for dealing with me.
Smile

No worries man, I know the feeling Wink Most anime forums these days tend to be on the polite side; it never hurts to be a bit more gentle (yknow, like the Tenacious D song Twisted Evil)

/off-topic

on topic: 9hoenix_, you may be somewhat correct about the fact that the popular opinion mistreats Deathnote, but I also have to say that if it was even a fraction as deep as the people say it is, it would probably not be as popular (sad fact: fanboys hate to think). There's plenty of shows with the dark athmosphere but without the Shounen Jump-like appeal, and they do not have the popularity (note: I think I completely lost my line of thought just now, gomen Rolling Eyes )
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
on topic: 9hoenix_, you may be somewhat correct about the fact that the popular opinion mistreats Deathnote, but I also have to say that if it was even a fraction as deep as the people say it is, it would probably not be as popular (sad fact: fanboys hate to think). There's plenty of shows with the dark athmosphere but without the Shounen Jump-like appeal, and they do not have the popularity...

I cannot speak directly for the "fanboys" out there, but I believe what they hate is pretentiousness. They want to watch a show which isn't so full of itself as to have a mere six or so lines of dialogue in the entire first episode.

So just why is Death Note so popular?

Well, it presents some interesting and perhaps relevant themes, a fresh perspective (i.e. villain protagonist), and a clear, simple plot (however contorted it may be at times). The characters are well established and act according to form, though admittedly few of them get any development. It looks great, sounds better (especially if one enjoys the Latin chanting), and the voice acting, particularly with regards to the original cast, is superb.

Most of all, it makes the important philosophical and metaphorical connection with its audience. In other words, it reaches out to many of us who see the world - the real world, as it exists right now - as a pretty crappy place. Who hasn't taken stock of the horrors of our world, and wanted to change it for the better? Death Note portrays a world that could easily be mistaken for our own, making it all the more easier for us to put ourselves in Light's shoes. What would we do if we got our hands on a Death Note? I can tell you that the only flaw in Light's plan is that it did not go far enough, in my opinion at least. L's assertion (way back in episode two, I think) that the murders of the criminals was the worst crime in history, was the only big jarring moment when the suspension of disbelief (so easy to do until then, and indeed straight afterwards) fell apart. Naturally the part about there being Shinigami and killer notebooks is part of the initial "contract" the viewers get themselves into.

So there you have it, my reasons for why so-called fanboys flock to Death Note. It is exceedingly well-done wish-fulfilment wrapped in a fresh and exciting package that speaks to the disenchanted teenage boy inside us (unless you are a teenage boy in the first place, in which it speaks to all of you). As for female fans, well, I do hear that some of them liked the Yaoi overtones......
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Fanboys differ Very Happy But no, I understand, if there is not pantyshots, bishies or kids with special powers in the first 10 minutes of the show, it's "pretentious" Rolling Eyes Did you think Nihei's manga "Blame!" is pretentious as well? Laughing Or Oshii's Sky Crawlers? Or, for that matter, movies by Tarkovskiy that often have long scenes (up to 10-20 minutes) with no dialogue?

But I will agree, Texnolyze and the like are not and will never be popular with the typical anime fans, because it has not what makes show like Naruto or DN popular (outlined by JesuOtaku on page one better than anyone else in the thread; after that it's been a huge off-topic discussion). It's a show that appeals more to sci-fi junkies and people who like PA settings.

EDIT: end rant. On topic: DN indeed provides some food for thought, and throws out some interesting topics, but the analysis takes a backseat to "cool stuff", and the show ends up being superficial rather than deep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7