• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm just trying to help people out. We need an Auction forum

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doodle777_98

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:41 am Reply with quote
Look most forums have an auction forum to help out its members. I'm just trying to help people out by showing them some hard to find stuff. Right now i just put maison ikkoku box set vol 1 on ebay. I thought it would be nice to inform the people here at ANN. I know i would like to know about auctions on anime.

Look i don't sell bootlegs and usually for sites like this i give a discounted shipping. This is my only anime site that i'm a member of. I don't post much but i don't participate. I'm heavily into another site called Cheapassgamers which treats its members pretty well. I post there all the time trying to help out my fellow members.

I got one propostion. I know you might not have alot of people who auction stuff off. But maybe if we had a forum under this site we could get a nice one established. Make me a moderator of this new forum and I will show you how we can help each other.

-Sorry for the misspellings and grammar
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:05 am Reply with quote
Meh, people already know about ebay, if they wanted their anime from there then they'd already be there looking. You're only doing this to sell your anime, to get people to look at your auctions. If you were really interested in getting people anime for cheap you wouldn't auction them off with the chance of the price rising, you'd sell them at a flat rate.

Also, your first attempt at linking to your auctions was for a bootleg set of Bible Black DVDs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doodle777_98

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
First of all the bible black i had was bought legit from a site that all you people know about. Matter of fact i got a link for it here.

Second, maybe you think i'm doing this to make money. But really come on. How many people know when there is finally a decent anime on ebay. I personally have been looking for the ping pong club and people sell them for a fixed price of like 80-100. I rather buy a box set at an auction for cheaper. Look it's cool most of ya rather flame me here than figure how i can help us. It's not like many people actually come here everyday. Maybe there is a reason?

Look my intial statement still stands. If it seems like all you guys want to do is flame me, than i can see why there isnt many people who visit her reguarly and in the future i might not be one anymore.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
doodle777_98 wrote:
than i can see why there isnt many people who visit her reguarly and in the future i might not be one anymore.

Heh, that's news to me. If anything there's too many people visiting here regularly or else there wouldn't be problems with the server keeping people off the forum during high traffic periods.

And it really doesn't matter where you bought Bible Black from, it was still a bootleg.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alias

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's a good idea having an auction forum.

#1 bandwidth.

#2 Unfair to the companies that paid money to advertise on ANN. Having an auction forum would mean people will be selling there stuff FREE.

#3 Too many bootlegs on ebay. The moderators on the forum will be spending too much time deleting and removing post. It's bad enough that a particular sponsor on this site is still selling bootlegs from HK.

NO AUCTION FORUMS!
doodle777_98

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Ha, first of all the bible black was a import and i really dont care what you think(it went for about 50 bucks).

Second, in the long run i wont be losing anything. You will. I just wanted to help you guys out. Obviously you guys rather sit here and critize and ruin a good forum site. It's up to you guys. I personally would love to be at a site that has auctions, if anyone knows any I would love to know and i will stay out of your hair.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Alias wrote:
It's bad enough that a particular sponsor on this site is still selling bootlegs from HK.

That's been explained before. An agreement was made between ANN and Anime Castle where ANN will alow them to continue advertising (they were their first advertisers and feel they owe them a chance) on the terms that they don't restock their bootlegs after they've been sold. If you check AC's listing you'll see that most of them are empty and they're missing some of the most popular bootlegs like Naruto and One Piece so I'd say they're holding up to their end of things.

Emerje
Alias

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I know the arrangement made with AC and ANN.

I do understand ANN's point of view.

But unlike Toywiz, who was also caught red handed with bootlegs from HK, Toywiz choose to discountinue selling bootlegs, and take the lost. AC choose to keep selling until their stock runs out.

I have checked recently on AC's site, yes, the boots are being being emptied out, but at the expensive of cheating anime fans.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Alias wrote:
But unlike Toywiz, who was also caught red handed with bootlegs from HK, Toywiz choose to discountinue selling bootlegs, and take the lost. AC choose to keep selling until their stock runs out.

Knowing how Ken Shamus operates, while I can't prove it, I'm sure he managed to get his money back or found another way to unload those DVDs for profit.

Emerje
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
doodle777_98 wrote:
Look most forums have an auction forum to help out its members. I'm just trying to help people out by showing them some hard to find stuff.

This is my only anime site that i'm a member of. I don't post much but i don't participate. I'm heavily into another site called Cheapassgamers which treats its members pretty well. I post there all the time trying to help out my fellow members.

I got one propostion. I know you might not have alot of people who auction stuff off. But maybe if we had a forum under this site we could get a nice one established. Make me a moderator of this new forum and I will show you how we can help each other.

-Sorry for the misspellings and grammar

I don't know what you've been reading, but this forum does help people find hard to find anime better than I've seen at other places. Furthermore, you want to be a moderator for the auction forum, but you never post to let people know who you are? No offense but I'm not about to trust someone that I've never heard from before, esp with something that can have so many problems with it.

I personally prefer to buy from retailers that have an exchange/ return policy if the disc is deffective, individual auctions generally do not have that. Members here like geting thier anime for a good price, that is when they post when a very good sale comes by.

Furthermore, a auction forum would require 24 hour moderation, I know the mods are busy and not always on, and even with added qualified mods, a mod would not always be on for all 24 hours.

There are other places to go for letting people know of anime auctions (such as livejournal communites). This is mostly a forum for discussion, not pimping your goods.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
doodle777_98 wrote:
If it seems like all you guys want to do is flame me, than i can see why there isnt many people who visit her reguarly and in the future i might not be one anymore.

There is a reason why you may be flamed as well,

Quote:
7a) No Commerce - ANN's forums are not to be used to sell goods or services. Nor are they to be used to advertise commercial endeavours or commercial websites.

its written clearly in Teh Rules, and OMG people here actually try to follow them.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Meh, people already know about ebay, if they wanted their anime from there then they'd already be there looking. You're only doing this to sell your anime, to get people to look at your auctions. If you were really interested in getting people anime for cheap you wouldn't auction them off with the chance of the price rising, you'd sell them at a flat rate.

Also, your first attempt at linking to your auctions was for a bootleg set of Bible Black DVDs.

Emerje

True

Quote:
Ha, first of all the bible black was a import and i really don't care what you think(it went for about 50 bucks).

How foolish. Just cause it's "imported" doesn't mean that other countries (like China) arn't bootlegging them. Don't be so simple minded into thinking tha a professionally package item automatically makes it legit. If you're smart enough, you would of figure that out, but instead other people have to tell you (and you still don't want to listen).

Quote:
Second, in the long run i wont be losing anything. You will. I just wanted to help you guys out. Obviously you guys rather sit here and critize and ruin a good forum site. It's up to you guys.

You want to help us out? By posting adverstisement for your auction. If there's someone that want to get that title, they'll go to an action site and search. You're just helping yourself out by trying to get more people to bid on your auction.

Quote:
I personally would love to be at a site that has auctions, if anyone knows any I would love to know and i will stay out of your hair

It's call ebay, and you're using it. Just watch out for the bootlegs.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Abel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
7a) No Commerce - ANN's forums are not to be used to sell goods or services. Nor are they to be used to advertise commercial endeavours or commercial websites.

I got scared but after I looked I found out that I was still ok. Anime smile*

Quote:
9b) Commerce is allowed in the Retail Forum! HOWEVER, commerce is limited to COMMERCIAL WEBSITES ONLY. Individuals seeking to sell DVDs are not permitted. Links to online auctions are not permitted. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #10 will be removed and their URLs banned

As a commercial we chose not to have an ebay store and decided to operate as a commerce site. Considering how much some fans overpay for the import items we offer on the shop we felt we would better serve the fans by offering items outside of ebay.

My view as a vendor my view on this is appreciation. Vendors pay taxes and other fees where the unlicensed ones do not. Being a licensed vendor permits us to offer domestic items and accept credit cards. It's really great to have the support of fans. We would not be where we are if not for them.

My view as a fan is also that of appreciation. Being in a community or a mailing list that has constant auctions posts is annoying especially when it surpasses the main content of the list/community. There are already other sites that cater to this. We don't need another one.

As a current advertiser on ANN I would hate to have advertising rates go up due to the bandwidth caused by an auction forum.

ANN could set up a pay forum so that those who want to list auctions pay for the privilege to post their auctions. This way any additional costs are paid off and it helps support ANN. This would be something that would be more beneficial to the fans.

Abel- still scanning doujinshi. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1