• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gungi (Ficticious Board Game in Hunter x Hunter)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
I'll try to keep spoilers out of it.

Basically, I'm intrigued by spoiler[a game that's harder to master than go, and which is incredibly open-ended due to the ability to reinforce your army from outside the board.]

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a complete list of rules that Togashi may have made on the game. I'm certain it'd be a huge success if they released it.
Blackgenesis243

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I'll try to keep spoilers out of it.

Basically, I'm intrigued by spoiler[a game that's harder to master than go, and which is incredibly open-ended due to the ability to reinforce your army from outside the board.]

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a complete list of rules that Togashi may have made on the game. I'm certain it'd be a huge success if they released it.

I know you may probably know this information about the game already but for now this is all i could find out:

1)It played by 2 players, on board that is divided into 81 squares (9x9), with a little table by the side of each player. This may be used to hold captured or dead pieces.

2)Each move has a coordinate or somthing of the sort composed of 3 digits (example 3-4-5). Have no idea what it means. Though im also considering the posibility of this being realted to each game piece attack and defence strength, as well as movement capacity (not in that order precisly). But due to the way and the time the say them in the series, this is very unlikely.

3)I m not quite sure of this because the number changes from one scene to another but i've counted aproximatly from 30 to 40 game pieces, being half whte and half black. Im asuming that white goes firts, but thats just me relating it to chess. Also like i mention below, there a diferent game pieces but i dont know how many of each there are.

4)The main objective is to capture the other players king.

5)You can stack up the game pieces an top of each other to what seems to be a max. of 3 (this is the maximum seen up to now in the series).

6)You have different game pieces such as the spy, the musketeer, the fortress, etc. And again i dont know the abilitys, limitations, functions, etc of these diferent classes.

Although i suspect that the way to play each of these is related to that aspect of the game that lets you stack game pieces on to each other.

7)At the begining of the game, you can order your pieces into differt formation for a diferent strategy. Sorry again, but i dont know how this works either.

This is all information i gathered by rewatching the last few episodes of HunterXHunter. Its mostly based on obsevaton and asumptions, rather than hard evidence. Also its probable that you already know all this but ist all i got for now. I'll keep looking to see if i find anything more.

And one last thing: I totaly agree with you. If this game were to be realesed it would be a huge succes. Who knows, if there is not any set of oficial rules i think it would be pretty intresting to make one.

Hope It helped
Healex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Blackgenesis243: your example for notation is invalid because the 3rd number is the 3rd dimension, and the other 2 numbers are a notation likely similar to shogi notation of numbers, but translated from their symbols to our 1-9 symbols. The reason I say that the upward dimension is the 3rd term is that both other numbers were shown as higher than 3 in the series. The number 3 is due to the fact that it was the max number stated in the rules for stacking. This is also evidenced by the fact that "1" is the most common number to fill the 3rd slot.

Edit: From white's perspective the 1st number is horizontal from left to right; the second is vertical from white to black.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

As for the number of pieces, at the end of episode 102, the board was shown to have 18 pieces on the black side and 25 pieces on the white side.

With who goes first, you can't judge by black or white because even though in Chess white goes first, black goes first in Shogi.

Edit: It should be noted that the king always played black, likely to represent that he's evil. Also, the blind girl may be considered the guest since he "invited" her to play Gungi with him.

Otherwise, hopefully more will be revealed through watching the upcoming HxH episodes. (Remember, the intro to the game was in 102, and the first gameplay was in 103.)
I will post more info that I find (presuming I can find this forum again and I remember.)

Last edited by Healex on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hflame20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
the first 2 numbers in the notations are for the coordinates on the board, and last one is the height. my guess is that each piece has a different move/attack/defense pattern depending on which tier it is at.
like lets say, a pawn, at tier 1 has only 1 move and attack, is that is towards the enemy side, like in chess, but for tier 2 it can be moving in the cardinal directions 1 space, and tier 3 is like a king in chess, with its diagonals. or that fortress piece tier 1, say it can restrict enemies attack at squares adjacent 1 square, and tier 2 is 2 squares adjacent, etc.

you see you can use your opponents captured pieces to place on top or using your own as well. I don't ever see them take a piece down or away, so that might be a limitation.
Blackgenesis243

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well the issue about the 3 digits that are mentioned before they place a game piece is amost clear. Leaving that aside, I came acroos a few thing in todays episode of HunterXHunter:

1)That the theory about them placing the pieces in a certain formation for diferent strategies at the start of the game is correct, so thats somthing.

2) I've counted the pieces again today since there is a scene when you can see al the board clearly with all the pieces at once. I counted 20 pieces on the black side and about 24 on white side.

Going by this, I asume that they must place a minimum number of pieces at the start of the game, in any formation they want , but following certain rules. Later on, they can go on placing pieces on the board, also following a set of rules.

3) Finaly i've been able to identify some of the game pieces by names:

-Pawn
-Marshal
-Spy
-New Spy
-Cannon
-Fortress
-Musketeer
-Archer
-New Archer
-Knight
-General
-Major General
-Liutenant General
-New Liutenant General

At first i thought that the 3rd dimension that Healex had pointed out was a form for the pieces to evolve (From Archer to New Archer, Spy to New Spy, etc) but this i found out to be wrong since they are placing the pieces regardless of the 3rd dimension all the time. Although it must have some influence on an aspect of the game, i think its related to the way that the pieces can be played and not a condition for them to be played.

Also i belive that the pieces have influence on each other. By this I mean that if one is close to another of a certain tier, etc, etc, their effect on the game changes. I justify this on the fact that at the ending of episode 103, the king is beaten (again) and while he reflects on this and wonders how it happened, he mentions (in his thoughts) that the spy (which was at tier 3) was usless all game until the girl moved the fortres close to it in her last move, cousing it to and i coute "Compleatly Dominate the game". If the spy had been in a lower level (going to call it level for now because i got tierd or writing tier. Yes i know level is a longer word but its simpler for me) the fortress the girl moved woulden't have had that effect on the spy.

This is all i can gather from this episode but pls tell me if i made a mistake or i left out somthing. If i notice anything else i'll post again and I hoped it helped.
Heibrin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
Blackgenesis243: Just my 2 cents - The use of "New" as in "New Spy / Archer" indicates a piece added after the initial 'staging'. Think of the game in terms of military strategy as it was in the time when units like musketeers etc was dominant. Armies used to be much more 'static' in their approach to battle, companies would be set up in fixed formations, and upon some signal, battle would be initiated.

Gungi compasses such a battle, with each player having access to a certain number of certain units (I won't repeat here, you guys have covered them already). They can then field however many (there may be a lower / upper limit) of pieces (companies / individual pieces like a fortress / spy) and once that is done the game begins.

After this initial start a player can then add reserve companies to the game (presumably of a limited number?); think sneaky attack / defense here.

As far as stacking goes, I'd still think it is the same as an army of old, where certain companies was made up of different units, in an attempt to strengthen / bring out a certain ability. As an example: the spy & fortress: bringing the fortress close to the spy allows the spy a place from which to attack, as well as somewhere to hide (spy stacked on a fortress). Another would be an archer stacked on a fortress - provides the fortress with long range attack, and keeps the archer safe. Same with a knight / pawn / archer combo.
Healex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's me again. Let me say a couple more observations I have made.

I agree with Heibrin in the thought that the "new" pieces only indicate that that move is a new appearance for that piece, and not a different piece from the non-"new" variants.

The pieces are colored, so you can not "drop" a captured enemy piece on the board like in Shogi. Again, the "new" pieces evidence that pieces can be "dropped" on the board.

Again for the move notation ( A - B - C ) :
A is horizontal (1-9, white's left to right)
B is vertical in 2D (1-9, white to black) &
C is vertical in 3D (1 being lowest, 3 being highest)

Nobody here seems to know how the pieces actually move or know what the do, so this must be looked into as this is a crucial part of the game.

The players (mainly the blind girl) place/play the pieces in a similar fashion to Shogi tiles.

An archer on top of a pawn is an ordinary strategy often used by beginners.

Some of the things that the piece names remind me of:
Pawn - pawn/token (multiple chess variants around the world)
Spy - fairy chess pieces
Cannon - cannon (Shang Qi or Chinese chess piece)
Fortress - rook/castle
Musketeer - knight variant
Knight - knight
Generals - Silver, Gold, and "jewel" (king) generals (shogi)

That's all I've got for now. I'll try to keep looking at this forum.
Blackgenesis243

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Now that Healex mentions that issue about not knowing how the pieces work of how each specificaly move, i think its worth mentioning that as this game isn't a key aspect of the anime. I doubt well get any detailed info on how its played besides what we already know.

Im not trying to be pesimistic or disincoureg pepole to post more on this here but i think is time to think about the possibility of having to complete the rules of the game by working with the rules we have and inventing the ones that are mising.Personly I think having to invent rules woulden't be such a bad idea.
Healex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would love to invent the rules (truly, I would), we must make sure everything that's cannon makes sense. Also, the old series/magna series should be looked into for info, just in case anything is different in those.

Another thing to look for: what pieces are on the board and how many of that specific piece at one time? From this we may be able to determine how many of each specific piece each player gets.

(side note: I've run into similar problems when looking into the Game Pai sho from the Avatar: the last airbender series)
critterthecrawler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to correct the move notation observation. Governing the A-B-C I'll present it as such, using the observation from ep 103, around the 7min mark.

A: 2d vertical
B: 2d horizontal
C: 3d vertical

The rest of the assumptions seem to be correct, currently. Delving into more research. Should be able to have it broken down in a month or so. There is enough data that rules do not need to be invented.
critterthecrawler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Also, the marshal piece is the piece first laid on the board and the piece to be laid into checkmate. It makes sense that this headpiece is placed first, for there is no reason to go into battle without the leader's consent. A metaphor for the physiological aspect of the game.
critterthecrawler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I've realized some key points, such as how many pieces both players have including how many of one piece, how many minimum and maximum you are allowed during the setup phase, almost finished the turn base and rules, and the etiquette of who goes first and when. Working on the piece movements and tier system rules now.
Healex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
If someone could compile all the video footage relevant to Gungi for easy lookups, it'd be much appreciated. Maneuvering through laggy websites' videos has proven to be a hassle for me when trying to observe the game as its played. Thanks to whoever does it!
Blackgenesis243

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Hello again.

I just wanted to say sorry for not posting anything for a long time. I 've been busy and haven't found the time to look for new things. I promise i'll post somthing after this next episode that promises to tell alot abouth the game.
Blackgenesis243

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Hello it me again and I think I found somthing new, not from the anime but from the manga. Basicaly I couldent resist waiting for the next episode so I started reading the manga and theres may be a few things that they dont mention about the game in the anime:

As we know each player can place pieces on the board at the start of the game I the way its most convinient for their stategy but these must be played inside an area of the board, or as the manga calls it each players "territory".

After a close comparison between drawings in the manga and images of it in the anime, i've come to the conclusion that each players territory is inside the area marked below the the 3rd horizontal row ( i know i may be writing this wrong but a the moment i dont remember how its called)

At the moment i just found this. I m reading the manga to see if theres somthing else (and by that im spoilng the series for my self but i cant stop my self, i must know what happens next) but if i find somthing else i will post it here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2