• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are dubs going extinct?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magmalord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
I think dubs might be going extinct due to the mindset of the current industry and the fans being spoiled little brats always wanting to get the latest episode instantly. Sometimes people want to have physical copies of media because I want to watch something years down the road. Why can't people just wait? Sure, there are some bad dubs even today, but for the most part they are good. But, because of the mindset of all dubs suck is the reason why the dubbing market is dying.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
An external harddrive would be a good thing to have. And people recommend to backup the computer once a week, but once a month will also do.

I have one. I don't feel like filling it up with anime when I can buy the DVDs instead.

Yeah, problem is, DVDs can break and if you play them too much, they'll get laser burns.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
...DVDs can break and if you play them too much, they'll get laser burns.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. It takes considerable force to break a DVD and there's no such thing as "laser burns" on something using less power than a laser pointer.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
And files can get corrupted. Every form has its limitations (I'll at least give you that DVDs can get scratched, though I have never had any I bought get scratched up enough to stop working) but the limitations of the DVD suit me better than digital copies. I don't think one is better but I certainly don't want to see physical formats go away entirely.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
...DVDs can break and if you play them too much, they'll get laser burns.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. It takes considerable force to break a DVD and there's no such thing as "laser burns" on something using less power than a laser pointer.

Clearly, you are not a James Bond fan:

JB as a laser beam slowly inches towards his crotch as he is strapped to a table:

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Still one of the best bits of dialogue in cinematic history.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I say no, dubs arn't going extinct, companies just have to be smarter about what they do or don't decide to dub these days, not everyone can be like Funimation and dub every title they acquire, otherwise many companies would potentially go under ala Geneon.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I hope this title is incorrect. I'd rather see an anime in my own language rather than have to read subtitles. For me,they're a distraction and hard for me to follow the plot. I'd rather see an anime dubbed into English and can wait until it's out there rather than having it streamed.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
If they do I guess I'll be a much richer man, since I view monolingual releases as lazy substandard merchandise. For foreign works, bilingual is the established standard and anything less is inferior. Thus it takes an exceptional show to make me buy an inferior product and I don't do it very often. Only 44 releases our of my collection of 836 are sub-only.

Also whose the most popular company and industry leader? Yeah, isn't it Funimation; who dubs things.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
If they do I guess I'll be a much richer man, since I view monolingual releases as lazy substandard merchandise. For foreign works, bilingual is the established standard and anything less is inferior. Thus it takes an exceptional show to make me buy an inferior product and I don't do it very often. Only 44 releases our of my collection of 836 are sub-only.

Most of the Criterion releases I've seen of Japanese cinema are sub only, and they're regarded as the best for this stuff.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Most of the Criterion releases I've seen of Japanese cinema are sub only, and they're regarded as the best for this stuff.

Live-action cinema is not comparable because you can not dub live-action as fluidly as you can animation. Animation simply doesn't detail to the degree of live-action, which gives more play in how the performance melds with the visuals. It's apples and oranges man.

Plus, Criterion is regarded as the best due to what they release, not how they release it. Some criterion releases have been pretty sub-standard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Some criterion releases have been pretty sub-standard.

It's extremely rare for Criterion to release anything substandard in my opinion.

Besides anime, they are the main part of my collection.

And while it's true anime does not equal live action, it is true that only with anime does a dub matter. You will never see foreign film fans say they need a dub.

Edit: Of course what I said above differs by country. Some countries do dub everything including live action (Japan seems to dub most things)

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Some criterion releases have been pretty sub-standard.

It's extremely rare for Criterion to release anything substandard in my opinion.

Besides anime, they are the main part of my collection.

And while it's true anime does not equal live action, it is true that only with anime does a dub matter. You will never see foreign film fans say they need a dub.

Edit: Of course what I said above differs by country. Some countries do dub everything including live action (Japan seems to dub most things)

Actually dubs are very common with animation when released across language barriers. This is because, as I mentioned, animation is unique in its ability to due this more seamlessly because of its very nature. So again; it's still apples and oranges.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Criterion is a live action distributor aren't they? We're not talking about live action here. Although, it's my fault for not using a better term than foreign that could also be applied to live action. Other than that I agree with Keonyn on his post above.and think both points make a lot of sense. Live action is different and doesn't really work dubbed and Criterion is more popular because of what not how.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Apparently the VHS copies got so bad that you could barely see the show sometimes. That's also why ADV got into the business in the first place (IE they were tired of crappy VHS tapes).

(Although ADV actually first got into the business for the hentai/borderline-hentai stuff like Demon Hunter Yohko and Kekko Kamen, but point taken.)

Quote:
As far as Section 23 goes, it's great they are dubbing more stuff.
However they need to expand their roster of talent. I love Hillary Haag, but there is no need to have her do 3-4 voices for a show (The World God Only Knows for example).

"Repertoire" actors doing multi voices only brings up Animax's dubs, in Australia/UK/Micronesia--
And if anime broadcast over here has been dragged under the (bong) water by Adult Swim, at least it's still alive in other English-speaking countries.

Before Crackle apparently gave it one shot and gave up, their streaming of the Animax English broadcast dub of Nodame Contabile was as good and serviceable as any dub coming out of a non-Funi studio, and even a few that had. Maybe if another company like S23 or RightStuf sided themselves with Animax, scratched one's back for dub actors in return for produced dubs and overseas airing to pay the bills, we might see some more competition in the dub industry.
(And we all remember what was the most frequent A-word invoked as a better example of what was wrong with Funi's Sgt. Frog dub...)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Criterion is a live action distributor aren't they? We're not talking about live action here. Although, it's my fault for not using a better term than foreign that could also be applied to live action. Other than that I agree with Keonyn on his post above.and think both points make a lot of sense. Live action is different and doesn't really work dubbed and Criterion is more popular because of what not how.

I've never bought Media Blasters' live-action things either, and I don't know many who do, but are dubs demanded for those films as well? Them being an anime distributor brings their selection and choices closer to what we're be arguing over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4