• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shakugan no Shana Season 1 BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Are you talking about Shakugan no Shana's final season or Gundam Seed?

Obviously not Gundam SEED, as that doesn't even have a third season.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist--
My opinion is that season 2 is worth watching while season 3 can be safely ignored. J.C.Staff really screwed up; they should have -- starting in season 2 -- started introducing the relationship between Yuji and the god Snake of the Festival. Introducing the relationship in season 3 felt completely contrived (at least, it did in my opinion, anyway).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
At the very least they should have shown Snake of the Festival in the Shana S OVA. That ended up being a complete waste of time as nothing that happened in the OVA ended up being important to the overall story.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

Does anyone know if season 3 has a proper conclusion, and if so could I skip season 2 and go straight to the end?

Bit of a delayed answer here, but I didn't see your question sooner. The answer is... complicated. The 3rd season is very divisive among fans.

I liked the conclusion of season 3, and I thought it was a great ending... in concept at least. The execution was off somewhat though. In fact, the entire 3rd season was a bit off execution wise. Some of this was actually the fault of the earlier seasons. Being as vague as possible, I'll just say that there were certain plot threads and character arcs that really, really needed to be set up early on (and apparently were in the Light Novels, from the bits I've read). Sadly, in the anime these things were not set up properly, so the 3rd season kind of hits people out of nowhere with a certain twist, and large parts of it don't seem to fit in with what came before.

The final climax is also a bit overlong and feels somewhat unfocused at times, partially because there were some big chunks of the story cut out of the anime, so the ending gives us resolutions to plot threads we didn't even know existed. This may sound like I'm discouraging you from watching the show, but in fact I would recommend the 3rd season, just with reservations. It ultimately does provide a nice climax and sense of finality (this is definitely NOT one of those series that looks building up to something big but fizzles into an anti-climax), and there are some wonderful twists and ideas in the 3rd season, it just doesn't come off as well as it should.

As for the second season... a large chunk of it is actually filler, but there are some important events that aren't. They try to tie the filler into the main plot, but it's basically a throw away line in the third season. I guess you could maybe skip some of the episodes, but I definitely wouldn't recommend skipping the whole thing.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Key wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
The best part about that ending is the segue into it, which is nailed perfectly almost every time.

This I thought SnS did better than almost any other series except Kurau Phantom Memory.

Gundam Seed's first ED is another excellent example.

Does anyone know if season 3 has a proper conclusion, and if so could I skip season 2 and go straight to the end?

If you treat the final season of Shana as a stand alone or alternate universe you should be okay. They twist and warp Yuji's character in evil ways and Shana's character is changed in an unflattering way. If you watched the first two season's and liked Yuji and Shana, you will have a hard time liking the final season for those reasons. But if you go in expecting a 'Highlander 2', it will go down better.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Are you talking about Shakugan no Shana's final season or Gundam Seed?

If Seed has a 3rd season, this is the first I've heard of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3