• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films' English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Nemo of Mentis wrote:
Spoilers? Is there anyone in the audience for this trailer that doesn't already know what it's about? It seems targeted at a very specific audience.

I've got to agree. The trailer is for a VERY limited US release (it's basically 1 day (or even just one SCREENING)) in each announced city. I seriously doubt the limited release is going to have people that haven't seen the series unless they're dragged there by people who have seen the series (and even then, they likely won't watch the trailer). It's debatably a thing for the Japanese audience, but I can't imagine any US movie-goers won't know about the "spoilers".
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
I've never understood the reasoning behind movies that just smush together things from the original series. I definitely don't have any plans to go see either of the first two movies, even if they were playing near me which I'm sure they will not be (even if they are in Ottawa, they'll be downtown which is 45 minutes from where I live).

I also agree that the majority of people who watch the movies probably will have already seen the show and so spoilers aren't really as big an issue as they usually are. Plus, spoiler[Mami's death] does happen in episode 3, IIRC, and so it's probably going to be about halfway in the movie, assuming it covers half the series, so even in that context it's no a super terrible give-away, IMO.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
If you'd read the whole article, you'd see it makes the same point as every other article on the movies(emphasis added):
This Very Article wrote:
Producer Atsuhiro Iwakami had revealed last November that the film trilogy will begin with a two-part compilation of the original television series, followed by an all-new film.
You can't really play innocent on that point.

Well, to be truthful I pretty much read the first half article and skimmed the rest and then watched the trailer, so yeah I missed that. Doesn't really give fencedude an out to be a douche about though considering lynx replied without acting like a turd about it.
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
So, I was under the impression that the movie was supposed to be like an alternate take on the show, but it seems like it's just going to be a truncated version of the series split into 3 parts a la Evangellion. If that's the case and you've already seen the series, what would be the point in watching this?

Giant screen, awesome sound system, surrounded by fans who cheer at the awesome parts ... yeah, I don't see it either.

And I would want obnoxious fans screaming over the movie because? Rolling Eyes yeah, sorry no thanks I think I'm good with having watched in the comfort of my own home. This is part of the reason why I don't like to go to cons and watch previews of new anime, the fans just ruin by acting obnoxious and sequeeing every two seconds, how is that a pleasurable experience?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I've already got tickets for the two movies here in Japan. They came with movie posters for each ticket~

Why watch Madoka again if it's almost the exact same thing, with just a few artistic adjustments?
Because I've seen the series 11 times completely through and each time, I've noticed something new that was hidden in the art or the dialogue or something. The series is like a giant puzzle working toward one goal, but the puzzle pieces themselves were individually done with great artistic intent, so... I really want to see what they decide to do with the movies. And who knows. The ending of the second movie might be slightly different, or... it might even have an extra portion. I mean, Urobuchi and SHAFT did a great job of hiding what the series actually would become during the TV show by giving us the basics we would EXPECT in the trailers and ads and stuff. I won't expect anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had some secrets in these films that would shock people who have already seen the series before. You never know...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2