• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Brad Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
BamvOAT wrote:

Aside from the trip down memory lane, interviewer and interviewee also have no idea, this entire thing is embarrassing from that aspect.

Y'all are really not doing your community a lot of good when you're this hostile and dickish to anyone outside of your circle who dares have an opinion on this thing you don't actually have control over.

Why are you all so upset about this? If you want to hear yourselves interview eachother I'd imagine you can get a pretty good facsimile of that on whatever forum you frequent.
BamvOAT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BamvOAT wrote:

Aside from the trip down memory lane, interviewer and interviewee also have no idea, this entire thing is embarrassing from that aspect.

Y'all are really not doing your community a lot of good when you're this hostile and dickish to anyone outside of your circle who dares have an opinion on this thing you don't actually have control over.

Why are you all so upset about this? If you want to hear yourselves interview eachother I'd imagine you can get a pretty good facsimile of that on whatever forum you frequent.
No one person here represents any community, just individual thoughts.

People are upset because this is a big website, talking about what people here do....and you talked to a moron about it. The most annoying thing is talking about how easy amvs are...no they are not. The kiddy side of youtube with the whole Linkin Park/DBZ thing going on (which is all he ever mentions in general, not just this time), is but just one side. The guy you talked to, in comparison to the actual good videos makes pretty shitty videos, average at best in fact just to be nice. Yet here he is been bigged up as some legend...it's a joke.

Been around donkeys years does not make you a "legend"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
Never cared for AMVs myself, so I largely share Zac's views on the matter. I know a lot of hardwork goes into making them, but I just cannot seem to care that they exist...

Do cosplay next, that really rustles people up in fun ways, that community is downright hostile.
Didarina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BamvOAT wrote:

The forum frequented by the AMV crowd more than any other without a doubt going to be: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/

Glory Questor is an admin there. Your seeming total obliviousness to these things doesn't really make a convincing case that you did adequate research to have a informed conversation about the history and craft of AMV making, after you said yourself that you don't watch a lot of them.

If members of the AMV community are being hostile and dickish to you, it's without a doubt because you're being pretty hostile and dickish toward the craft and members of the community, in both the podcast and here in your forums. You spent like 15 minutes of the podcast trying to corner the guest into saying that anime music videos are creatively bankrupt, and even with people complaining here you're still trying to push that crap for some reason?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
BamvOAT wrote:
Zac wrote:
BamvOAT wrote:

No one person here represents any community, just individual thoughts.

People are upset because this is a big website, talking about what people here do....and you talked to a moron about it. The most annoying thing is talking about how easy amvs are...no they are not. The kiddy side of youtube with the whole Linkin Park/DBZ thing going on (which is all he ever mentions in general, not just this time), is but just one side. The guy you talked to, in comparison to the actual good videos makes pretty shitty videos, average at best in fact just to be nice. Yet here he is been bigged up as some legend...it's a joke.

Been around donkeys years does not make you a "legend"

You sound awesome I just have one request

Can you do a Naruto and My Chemical Romance AMV?

The entire podcast was about the early years of AMV not about how awesome you are at it or to even have an in-depth discussion on it, if he wanted to do that he would invited at least one more guest like he did with the Evangelion podcast.
siny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Oh no! Another person who registered just to comment this thread. No worries, I'm not gonna bitch! But I do have an opinion I want to express, so...

I think that the "bitching" is happening because the topic of this interview was not just about Brad but "to chat about what it was like making music videos in times both modern and prehistoric!"

I agree with Swans and Shin, when they say Zac wasn't really that prepared to this interview when the topics were how the AMVs are today. But to be perfectly honest, he didn't really got the right answers to give the interview a different direction. That said, I think that for a topic like this or others in the future, where 1) you're not that familiar with the topic and 2) where there's obvious a lot of different opinions, you should have more like a debate and not an interview. I mean, if your focus wasn't on Brad only and it was about AMVs too... that's where everything crashed. I mean I don't really watch a lot of TV nowadays, but on an interview the focus is that person and what she does. And this one, at some point around the middle, was too general and based on assumptions only. In some of the questions Zac starts or ends "in your opinion". On top of that, in a lot of questions Zac was clearly stating his own opinion which makes me think who was actually being interviewed on the first place(?). If you want to discuss the topic AMVs, you should get different (or more) people to talk to. From old school editors to new editors. That would also be a lot more fun to listen! Smile

Moving on to the copyright stuff. I do agree with Zac when he says that AMVs are indeed full of copyright issues, but I can only accept that when it comes to music. Because maybe there's like 5% of AMVs with a extremely manipulated audio that can be claimed as their own. When it comes to the footage itself, that sure doesn't apply to all of the AMVs, specially today with all the tools available. I'm just gonna point out this one as a really obvious one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPcqd_LviIs - unless you're like Coca Cola who claims that they're the only ones who can use white polar bears in their commercials, like they own the poor creatures.

Kudos to the part where Zac and Brad were talking about how AMVs promote the animes (and songs too, I've been addicted to songs just because of some AMVs). That's so true. How many times I've seen a video and told myself "omg I gotta watch this"? I lost count!

But seriously... about the comedy part. That was bad, so bad! That really looked like a chat between two people who have no clue about how the AMVs are today. For that you don't even need to be watching AMVs all the time, you just need to check what videos make the finalists on cons. Have you seen the number of entries to comedy? Come on! Have you seen the number of entries to drama, romance, sentimental, action?! When Brad says you have a better chance in comedy, it's because there's not that much competition!!! Even those making comedy say this. And since I'm talking about comedy, I'm gonna prove another point (and most likely give some ego points to a certain someone). Believe it or not, but you still see some good editors editing DB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Ju8GtDs8E // http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0158FJBja18 (these two are really recent and awesome imo). He doesn't edit with Premiere, nope, he's a crazy dude who starts his videos with avisynth and virtualdub: freeware stuff. Only then (if needed) he goes to AE.

And now about the software stuff. Yes it's true, some people use the top of the top software and create something shitty. But you also have the other way around (point proven on the previous paragraph). Though, seriously, that happens with everything. In my area, it's so common to see someone steal your client because he/she happens to know some things about Photoshop and is making those works for half the price or even less. But it's up to the client to decide if what he wants is quality or something cheap. The same with AMVs, there's a lot of crap, but there's a lot of good stuff too. It's how you filter the AMVs! If you go on sites like Youtube and type your favorite anime... chances of getting on the first page a really good amv are very low. But for those that can't keep up with sites like amv.org and want to stick with youtube, here's a few channels that might help you keep track of what's going on, without the crap stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/BestAMVsOfAllTime0 / http://www.youtube.com/user/BestAMVsOfAllTime1 / http://www.youtube.com/user/BestMiscOfAllTime and there's a whole list of those you can subscribe. More kudos to Brad when he talks about how hard today is to pick the best of the best. The quality of amvs increased a lot, which means that the channels I linked are not exclusively filled with the best amvs, but when someone doesn't have a clue about where to look for some good amvs, those really help a lot. Sorry to bring up this topic, who should be obvious, but it bothered me that the talk about "there's a lot of crap AMVs out there" was brought up constantly. Talk about the good stuff too, please?

I really liked the questions from the fans, though. Thanks to that the trailers topic was on the table (a little, but still counts). But there were terms, that some people are not familiar with, who could have been mentioned too: MEPs, Collabs, MADs, MMVs. For future reference of course. Wink
irriadin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I feel like you're being unfair here... there are plenty of users trying to engage you from a respectful point of view, but you keep focusing on the ones being "hostile and dickish."

I share some of the sentiment echoed by other posters... I don't think Brad was the best choice of interviewee. While he seemingly knows a lot about the old days of editing, his current knowledge of the community is limited to videos he sees at conventions he attends. This represents a very small fraction of the work being produced today... a small fraction of users work from a-m-v.org, which in itself isn't the only community out there. AMV France and AMVNews both have very talented editors that rarely submit to American conventions.

That being said, Brad did hit the mark with some things. His answer on "what's next for AMVs" I totally agree with, actually. I think we'll be seeing a lot more videos incorporating unique and/or custom animation. To be sure, some of the more respected editors in the community have been pushing towards this (like qwaqa and Umika).
Pro-Tip Ako

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BamvOAT wrote:

Do you think you would ever have a future ANNcast that talks about AMV's? Not just a specific personality but the medium as a whole?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Didarina wrote:
Zac wrote:
BamvOAT wrote:

The forum frequented by the AMV crowd more than any other without a doubt going to be: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/

Glory Questor is an admin there. Your seeming total obliviousness to these things doesn't really make a convincing case that you did adequate research to have a informed conversation about the history and craft of AMV making, after you said yourself that you don't watch a lot of them.

If members of the AMV community are being hostile and dickish to you, it's without a doubt because you're being pretty hostile and dickish toward the craft and members of the community, in both the podcast and here in your forums. You spent like 15 minutes of the podcast trying to corner the guest into saying that anime music videos are creatively bankrupt, and even with people complaining here you're still trying to push that crap for some reason?

irriadin wrote:

I feel like you're being unfair here... there are plenty of users trying to engage you from a respectful point of view, but you keep focusing on the ones being "hostile and dickish."

I share some of the sentiment echoed by other posters... I don't think Brad was the best choice of interviewee. While he seemingly knows a lot about the old days of editing, his current knowledge of the community is limited to videos he sees at conventions he attends.

I was interviewing Brad DeMoss about Brad DeMoss. The interview was not billed as nor was it intended to be about the "history and craft of AMV making" as a whole. If that were the case then of course I would not have only talked to Brad.

Insulting the guest because he isn't you and didn't say what you would've said nor did we have the exact discussion on the subject you would've liked us to have had is really childish. Some of you are being intensely rude and mean-spirited about it.

Quote:

But seriously... about the comedy part. That was bad, so bad!

Or it was a preconceived notion I had that I asked about and then Brad rather effectively corrected me. Now I know. Sometimes you learn things in an interview, believe it or not! It isn't the first time I've been corrected during an interview and it won't be the last.

I'd have liked to do another show that is actually intended to be about the craft of making AMVs and the community behind it, but you'll have to forgive me for never wanting to touch the subject with a 10-foot pole ever again. Not worth it.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
doing my best to scan over the spewing and just catch the important stuff to read. and i believe it all comes down to this:
Zac wrote:
I was interviewing Brad DeMoss about Brad DeMoss. The interview was not billed as nor was it intended to be about the "history and craft of AMV making" as a whole. If that were the case then of course I would not have only talked to Brad.

I was about to suggest this. I loved hearing what Brad had to say and i'm thankful that the interview was done at all. However, all the editors (myself included) think it would be more beneficial to the AMV community to interview more editors over time Smile it'll give a more rounded perspective to have more than one established creator give their opinion. of course, not everyone is going to agree with every little thing spoken, but isn't that the point? to learn? and please don't misinterpret "learn" for "bowing down in submission/agreement", we are constantly learning and advancing what we believe by hearing what others have to say and offer.

EDIT:
Zac wrote:
I'd have liked to do another show that is actually intended to be about the craft of making AMVs and the community behind it, but you'll have to forgive me for never wanting to touch the subject with a 10-foot pole ever again. Not worth it.

i didn't see that, unless you edited your post while i was writing. Sad in short.... i can't say i blame you.

Last edited by RiderG on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
irriadin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

See, that changes everything! The problem, I think, is the timing. It was only about a month ago that AMVs were brought up on ANNCast via a twitter question. To say the discussion was unfair to the medium (during the podcast in question) would be an understatement. Talking to Brad about Brad is totally different than doing a comprehensive overview of AMVs in general, which I thought this was attempting to do. So you can see how this reaction isn't entirely out of left field.

You could have defused the whole situation here just by saying this podcast was all about Brad in the first place :/

Quote:

I think this is shortsighted. You must admit you've not given AMVs a fair chance to be properly represented on the podcast before ( see the August 2012 episode with Daryl and Mike Toole.) It only stands to reason that the next time you mention them would be met with a pretty strong reaction, as you're seeing here. Obviously it's your podcast, but as an important outlet for anime news and culture, I feel like you would be doing your listeners a disservice by ignoring AMVs entirely.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to say this, as a regular listener of the ANNcast I see why they chose an older editor and I don't feel the interview was that bad. That said, he did chose someone completely out of touch with the current AMV community and selecting someone like Vlad (an older editor who is still active in the current AMV community in the US) would have been much better choice. Overall I think that those in the AMV community are slightly overreacting to the situation, but that stems from the comments said in a previous postcast that pretty much insulted the AMV community as a whole. I feel that Zac should apologize for calling AMV creation "creatively bankrupt" even if he feels that to be true, and I think the AMV community should apologize for their reaction to a simple podcast.

At the end of the day, we are all people who love anime and there is no reason we should be fighting over a few words.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
I'm just going to say this, as a regular listener of the ANNcast I see why they chose an older editor and I don't feel the interview was that bad. That said, he did chose someone completely out of touch with the current AMV community and selecting someone like Vlad (an older editor who is still active in the current AMV community in the US) would have been much better choice. Overall I think that those in the AMV community are slightly overreacting to the situation, but that stems from the comments said in a previous postcast that pretty much insulted the AMV community as a whole. I feel that Zac should apologize for calling AMV creation "creatively bankrupt" even if he feels that to be true, and I think the AMV community should apologize for their reaction to a simple podcast.

At the end of the day, we are all people who love anime and there is no reason we should be fighting over a few words.

PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Never cared for AMVs myself, so I largely share Zac's views on the matter. I know a lot of hardwork goes into making them, but I just cannot seem to care that they exist...

Agreed, couldn't care less about AMVs. This was a good interview though. It was informative, which is what interviews are for.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of AMVs, and one who has attempted a few herself (before her computer crashed in a most gloriously horrendous matter and erased a lot of work :/), they take A LOT of effort if you really want to have a good outcome. Timing, overlays, visuals, cleaning up pictures, etc, and I'm only a novice so I can only go into what I played around with.

I've tried to learn from more experienced members on video/audio theory in order to create the best output (it's quite possible that this is out of date since I haven't seriously looked at guides after my last attempt). I've hung around on the editing and technology board on the AMV forums. I've been watching AMVs since the early 2000s.

And after spending years and years of observing creativity in fandom (fanart, fanfiction, AMVs), it should come as no surprise that the ones most dedicated to their craft are the ones who provide the best output and know their stuff inside and out. And those are the ones who are trying to make a profession out of it.

Their creative fanworks become part of their portfolio. It's their opportunity to master the basics, stretch their boundaries, practice new techniques, and put to form what they visualize. Perhaps they just started out as fans who wanted to express their love of a series/couple by making some sort of creative output dedicated to that series/couple. Perhaps they are still fans just having fun. A majority of fanwork is just that, and it tends to be by people who are novices that don't even know the basics of the craft. And there's nothing wrong with that. They're taking their time to creatively share their love for what makes them passionate. But to those who are truly interested in the craft, they take the time and energy to really learn it and challenge themselves. And, also unsurprisingly, they are also the ones willing to spend money on their craft (by buying the actual software).

And the final outcomes can be amazing. For some examples:

Pencilhead - AMV.org Youtube - this is an extremely artistic video.
Fate Matrix - AMV.org Youtube - Concept: Little sister of fate manipulates the [multi]Threads of Fate.
Spoil - AMV.org Youtube - HO-LEE SHIT, the visual effects of this video. It's an older one, from 2007, but it's still one of the best visually immersive videos that still tries to tell a story (a mind game between Ryuuk and Light).
RAH HEY! - AMV.org Youtube - it looks at AMV editing from the POV of a creator, and is just meant to be a fun video.
Ian Fleming's Property of a Lady - AMV.org Youtube - a parody/homage/re-invisioning of a James Bond movie opening using animated characters.
Traumerei - AMV.org Youtube - tells a dramatic alternate version of FMA where Ed loses Al soon after losing their mother.
From the Ashes - AMV.org Youtube - and I can't talk about really good FMA AMVs that re-invision the story where Ed loses Al early on without mentioning silver_moon's final AMV. The amount of editing that needs to be done in order to remove characters from scenes has to be immense.
Magic Pad - AMV.org Youtube - a lot of Nostromo's videos seems to focus on atmosphere and selecting scenes that help build upon that atmosphere (the selection of trance or techno music helps create that atmosphere); therefore, this video is more of a visual spectacle that draws you in rather than actually telling a story, but it's still a very beautifully put together video.
Reflections of Style 3 - AMV.org Youtube - like its previous two predecessors, it's used to show off the
different editing and creative styles of different AMV makers.
Into the Fire - Director's Cut - AMV.org Youtube - a sort of "Iron Chef" style competition where four video editors have a week to edit the same anime to the same video, which is then all edited to combine scenes from each video. I like seeing AMV editors challenge themselves, so this is an interesting video to watch.

Annnnnd there are many, many others I love, like Mahou Shoujo Requiem (PMMM), Devil (PMMM), Hold Me Now (Princess Tutu), Beyond (Princess Tutu), Whisper of the Beast (Naruto), You Are Not Alone (Gurren Lagann), blahblah, I could go on all day.

Anyways, I'll listen to the ANNCast later. I'd be interested in having one focus on the process of AMV making. I think that'd be pretty cool.

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7