• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore DVD 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
thanks maya and mech. im probably going to have to read up on the manga. Because im guessing the anime is missing a lot of things the manga shows.

It's pretty much as nechronius said. Up until the fight in the North, the anime is incredibly faithful to the manga. There are a few minor deviations here and there, but it's really close overall. Even the staging and character poses are frequently the same (many images were pretty much pulled straight from the manga and put in the anime). You could easily pick up volume 11 of the manga and not miss a thing.

The fight in the North does deviate somewhat more from the manga, but it's still pretty minor really (I think that pretty much every major deviation on this disc was covered in the review). The real change is the last couple of episodes. They're anime-only and - as I'm sure will be amply discussed with the review for the final volume - they deviate from the manga fairly heavily. Basically, they wanted an actual ending for the show rather than to end on a major cliffhanger. Regardless of whether the result works well on its own (some think it does, some think it doesn't) it makes it extremely difficult - if not impossible - to adapt the manga any further if they were to decide to do so (which wouldn't be anytime soon given that the anime basically caught up to where the manga was at the time that the anime finished).

So, the anime is generally very faithful to the manga - far more than most manga adaptations - and you aren't missing anything of consequence by not having read the manga. If you read the manga, it'll likely be either because you just want to read the source material or because you want to actually read more of the story beyond the end of the anime (ignoring the last two episodes or so) - and they have some very interesting stuff beyond the end of the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2