• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haibane Renmei DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Also, I admitted that not everyone requires logic and consistency in anime. You might want to compare Blast of Tempest previews by Zac and Theron and see the difference when one reviewers notices such things, and another does not.

Oh, I'm very curious as to what, exactly, you're getting at with that and what evidence you're basing that on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Five episodes could be shrank into two, without losing its slow pace or any details that matter.

At that point you're asking for a rushed plot summary.

For me, the remarkable thing about Haibane Renmei is that, unlike so many other anime, it doesn't putter around with redundant and pointless events. (I would even say this is true of the other ABe-related anime, save for NieA_7 -- although there it is more explicitly slice-of-life. People may not care for the varying slow pace in all of them, but I find it hard to argue against the actual plot structure.) You may argue that the first few episodes feel structurally and maybe even tonally different than what follows, but you'll have to look elsewhere if you want to argue that the series is logically inconsistent.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Also, the fact that this project lacks in terms of consistency does not yet warrant overall negative view on this work. This show is good, and I rated it accordingly. If you would read what I wrote more closely, you could see that I was talking about that the show could earn even better marks if it would not be dragged in the beginning and had no those little nonsensical details. And I also stated that for most people it would not matter anyway (so I am not sure where I "generalized" anything). It just depends on how pedantic viewers are; and there are not many such as myself.

The inconsistencies that you keep talking about are apparently in your head. The series has sound internal logic; in other words, its rules are applied consistently and make sense within the framework of the series. What I think you're actually complaining about are things that aren't explained fully, not things that are inconsistent. And there I'd agree much more that there's room for complaint.

To quote The Princess Bride “You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means”. Key's right, this series is very consistent with it's own world view, you might want to review Zac's review and not just the snippet you think applies to your way of thinking, then look up "Inconsistent" in the dictionary.

Sorry, I was reporting back after watching my the new set of the latest release of the DVDs (Thank you Cyclograph for your work in showing the quality change in the remaster!), and I just could not resist weighing in on MaxSouth, even though this is a very old argument.

That said, I played some episodes (at least in part) on both, with my PS3 (Which upscales nicely) and I feel the new release is certainly sharper, and definitely has better subtitle fonts for me.

I recommend this new release, and this anime highly. Makes me cry, still, even after so many viewings. A deeply moving and amazing piece of cinema.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
From what gathered from his other posts, I think that MaxSouth is more less interested in aesthetic judgement than bookkeeping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
From what gathered from his other posts, I think that MaxSouth is more less interested in aesthetic judgement than bookkeeping.

Does that mean "He didn't like it"? Obviously he had an issue, but from what I read he missed a lot of plot points. Probably it bored him. Can't blame him for that, if it isn't good for him, it's not good for him. We are all allowed our opinion, and to dislike what we dislike.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Does that mean "He didn't like it"? Obviously he had an issue, but from what I read he missed a lot of plot points. Probably it bored him. Can't blame him for that, if it isn't good for him, it's not good for him. We are all allowed our opinion, and to dislike what we dislike.

My comment was spun off of a quotation I remembered from what turned out to be an xkcd strip that goes, "Ideas are tested by experiment. That is the core of science. Everything else is bookkeeping." In MaxSouth's case, most of his criticism seems to reduce everything to logical consistency, approaching fiction with the mindset of an account. It seems to me like an unreasonable focus on the most unreasonable demand made upon storytellers.

All reality operates relentlessly by its rules and logic; it has too and does so automatically. The machinery that said automatic process runs on is a fabulously complex product of innumerable interacting elements. Emotional reactions and experiences are more person and less mechanistic, especially in nuance, and I think that they're the more important, interesting feature of fiction. Concentrating upon how a single writer has not successfully consciously duplicated the machinery of the whole world while the same writer has deftly created an emotional experience seems senseless and unfair to me. A modicum of logic is necessary for a creation to sustain the emotional experience, but it's just filling in lines on the ledger, not the actual purpose of the creation. If all you can do is look over the books, then the real problem is that you don't care about the business.

I don't think that I've said quite the same or as sensible and wise a thing, but [Film Crit Hulk has written an excellent, long essay on the subject. (The ALL CAPITAL LETTERS gimmick might seem off-putting, but I haven't actually found it a problem)

I should hedge that I haven't seen Haibane Renmei yet, I just happened to notice a theme, although the series is resting on my shelves, patiently waiting for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist--
At the risk of contributing to necroposts, I would like to say the following:
  1. Even though I have vowed not to post again until I have accomplished a certain goal, I find myself making an exception for this thread because I love and respect Haibane Renmei so much.
  2. Even though patience is required for the first four (or is it five?) episodes, I respectfully submit that you will find the payoff to be well worth it.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Surrender Artist--
<snip>
[*]Even though patience is required for the first four (or is it five?) episodes, I respectfully submit that you will find the payoff to be well worth it.

Personally, I enjoyed the early episodes just fine. In them the stage is set, and I guess I enjoy that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5