Forum - View topic
NEWS: J Industry Figures Downplay Report of 'Rape Game' Ban


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 4107
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
uh ANN,

This game has been controversial for the last few months. You might want to read Gamepolitics more often.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/​2009/​02/​11/​british-​mp-​keith-​vaz-​criticizes-​japanese-​rape-​game039s-​availability-​amazon

This controversey started in February. It got a bit worse because a British MP named Keith Vaz, he is the "Jack Thompson of UK". After the news, Amazon removed the game from sales.

There are people who managed to know that this game was from Japan, not western made.



http://www.gamepolitics.com/​2009/​03/​10/​leigh-​alexander-​controversial-​rape-​game-​japanese-​problem-​not-​american-​one


http://www.gamepolitics.com/​2009/​03/​12/​la-​times-​if-​japanese-​rape-​game-​was-​banned-​amazoncom-​why-​did-​film-​brutal-​rape-​scene-​get-​r-​

Also, these people are playing double standard in the rape game also. No suprise there Mad

Great, something tells me that beside video game, anime and manga are probably next as a scapegoat. I wonder how long till most of our anime haters on youtube decide to forge an alliance with those game haters who decide to attack anime and manga next. I wonder how long till Jack Thompson attack anime and manga next, and anime haters decide to pull a "Tony Almeida", "Gabriel Nowark" (any of yall play Rainbow 6: Vegas), "John Walker Lindth" on video game and betray all video gamers?? Mad

Jack Thompson attack Japan:

http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/​122526.​html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14533
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Garsh, wouldn't that just be horrible if this lead to game developers coming up with games that didn't have rape as a major component. Oh, the tragedy of it all. I shan't sleep tonight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 669

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Blood, wouldn't that just be horrible if this lead to movie producers coming up with movies that didn't have rape as a major component. Oh, the tragedy of it all. I shan't sleep tonight

See? It's easy to say that kind of stuff about anything, we're talking about things that are a small genre within an entertainment venue, the same sentence above can be applied to any kind of art, including books and songs (especially songs). No one has to do anything, they choose to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sailor S
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 2841

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
If you don't like em, then *gasp*, you don't have to buy them! But good to see that someone out there is staunchly trying to defend those poor, poor 2D girls.

Unless of course anyone actually believes that these types of games lead to people raping 3D girls, in which case there's a whole pile of game where you slaughter people that we probably should be more concerned about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14533
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Blood, wouldn't that just be horrible if this lead to movie producers coming up with movies that didn't have rape as a major component. Oh, the tragedy of it all. I shan't sleep tonight

See? It's easy to say that kind of stuff about anything, we're talking about things that are a small genre within an entertainment venue, the same sentence above can be applied to any kind of art, including books and songs (especially songs). No one has to do anything, they choose to.


What you say is true, but it still doesn't alter the fact that my world won't be made worse if every single game that involved rape suddenly disappeared. If you want to wring your shirt nervously out fear that this is some kind of slippery slope that may lead to something you like being restricted go ahead, but I won't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 669

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.


That's what's on everyone's mind about stuff like this, and also why lawyers have to defend the dirtiest of the dirty to defend the cleanest of the clean. If you give them an inch and say nothing, they'll take a mile, if you don't defend something because it doesn't suit your taste, then you don't deserve anything. There's also another saying from Ben Franklin that fits, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Now, I'm not saying that I like rape games, but as was mentioned above, just because you don't like it isn't reason enough to ban it outright.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 818

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
This game has been controversial for the last few months. You might want to read Gamepolitics more often.


While the controversy that is the backdrop for this article has been going on for a few months, the TV report on Japan's supposed industry-wide ban only came out on Thursday. The criticism of the report only came within the last 24 hours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 4107
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
This game has been controversial for the last few months. You might want to read Gamepolitics more often.


While the controversy that is the backdrop for this article has been going on for a few months, the TV report on Japan's supposed industry-wide ban only came out on Thursday. The criticism of the report only came within the last 24 hours.


Yeah I just found out about that just now

via Gamepolitics:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/​2009/​05/​29/​why-​fret-​over-​japanese-​ban-​rapelay-​already-​banned-​us#​comment-​218861

This is crazy for Japan. Have a look at this on Kotaku also:



[url]http://kotaku.com/​5272475/​and-​now-​rape-​games-​are-​not-​banned-​in-​japan
[/url]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ktimene's Lover



Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Posts: 2242
Location: Glendale, AZ (Proudly living in the desert)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
I don't care if people think otherwise, rape simulation is just so wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14533
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.


That's what's on everyone's mind about stuff like this, and also why lawyers have to defend the dirtiest of the dirty to defend the cleanest of the clean. If you give them an inch and say nothing, they'll take a mile, if you don't defend something because it doesn't suit your taste, then you don't deserve anything. There's also another saying from Ben Franklin that fits, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Now, I'm not saying that I like rape games, but as was mentioned above, just because you don't like it isn't reason enough to ban it outright.


I am familiar with this argument, I simply don't subscribe to it. There is not a country on Earth that doesn't have some limits on freedom of expression, including the most liberal. So the slope already exists.

I wouldn't lift a finger to get rape games banned, just like I wouldn't lift a finger to prevent them being banned. But by the same token, I'm certainly not going to shed any tears if my country, for example, decided our society could somehow hobble along without them. Sorry to all those whose existence is made more pleasurable by being free to simulate rape scenarios.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc



Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 4463
Location: Nc5xd7+ スターダストの海洋

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
As far as I am concerned good. It is always unsettling for me the close association of people in anime and the people who enjoy this kind of media. And well, it's kind of sickening. The majority of the games are not art, nor are they out to tell any sort of meaningful story. They are there so that the unwashed can fwap away the latest sick fantasy, something that in general will prevent most of them from entering society at large.

The only thing that worries me, is the EOCS government or private? If it is the former I wish companies would just grow a pair and start doing these things on their own. I generally don't like it the other way around.

Also...
Quote:
The aim of the RapeLay game is for the player to repeatedly rape the mother and her daughters until they begin to “enjoy” the experience.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 622

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Quote:
The aim of the RapeLay game is for the player to repeatedly rape the mother and her daughters until they begin to “enjoy” the experience.

Rolling Eyes


Are you rolling your eyes because you think that's exaggerated/made-up? Because that really is the role of the game. Your a dude that likes to feel up girls on a train, you go to prison because one girl reports you, so you get revenge by raping her entire family. Repeatedly. It's sick.

Freedom of speech, why must you be such a double-edged sword? This is clearly wrong, but I don't want it banned... Ugh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 767

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, since TBS had misrepresented the stance of the Ethics Organization of Computer Software (EOCS) during that earlier coverage, the industry group declined to be interviewed again. Then TBS "suddenly" released a second news report on Thursday that indicated that EOCS had decided to ban all games involving rape.


I smell yellow journalism...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hayami



Joined: 14 Oct 2004
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Sorry to all those whose existence is made more pleasurable by being free to simulate rape scenarios.
Sorry to all those whose existence is made more pleasurable by being free to simulate war, post-apocalyptic anarchy and alien invasion scenarios.

Dargonxtc wrote:
They are there so that the unwashed can fwap away the latest sick fantasy, something that in general will prevent most of them from entering society at large.
I don't think so. Some people are just despised by the society they live in and don't want to enter it either way. The loathing may be mutual.

I like John Beak's comment @ SanCon, straight and to the point:
Quote:
Rape is wrong, but everything’s okay in a game. No bans, all happy.


Dargonxtc wrote:
The only thing that worries me, is the EOCS government or private? If it is the former I wish companies would just grow a pair and start doing these things on their own. I generally don't like it the other way around.
The latter. And I commend you for your position on this ^_-

But consider this:
Quote:
However, EOCS membership is “voluntary” and it is a “self regulating” body rather than one with any particular legal powers beyond expelling members and refusing classification; there is a competing ratings body, the “Contents Soft Association“, which is much less stringent in its standards, largely allowing loli games, and it has no regulations against violence. Its membership will likely be getting a boost unless it follows suit.
(source: Sankaku Complex article, warning: tons of not work-safe content)

If there is a demand, someone will produce and distribute it. All you achieve is to drive extreme/hardcore H games' fans into a ghetto. Imo it's not a good thing for anyone.


Last edited by Hayami on Fri May 29, 2009 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bleuster



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 454
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Freedom of speech, why must you be such a double-edged sword? This is clearly wrong, but I don't want it banned... Ugh.
That's part of defending freedom, my man. Even the stuff your stomach doesn't agree with, they need a place in the cupboard with everything else.

I'm not sure of this is a coincidence, but Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller, Bullsh*t, etc.) made a video yesterday on Youtube about this game. As usual he brings up good points.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group