• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Connect Five

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the whole thing is just really messy.

I dont necessarily know why that is bad.I think messy aspect that you speak of goes along quite nicely with shows theme,and does nice way of showing us Shimaos selfishness which is a product of his love ,also it puts Rokka in a situation where she sees the signs of Shimao in Hazuki and makes her wonder if that is just coincidental or perhaps it is a sign of her unwillingness to let him go(just so we are clear I think she did know it was Shimao all the time on some subconscious level). There is also the irony of it all which might be seen as a commentary on fairy tails,as man who suffered great sadness because he doesn't posses a body now suffers even bigger one that he posses one.
EDIT:I also heard from several people on the internet that in the original the dialogue is very poetic and that crunchyroll failed to translate it properly,I just hope if it ever gets released (and it wont)it gets good translation so people can appreciate it fully.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I just hope if it ever gets released (and it wont)it gets good translation so people can appreciate it fully.

Sentai has the license already.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
I think the whole thing is just really messy.

I don't necessarily know why that is bad.I think messy aspect that you speak of goes along quite nicely with shows theme,and does nice way of showing us Shimaos selfishness which is a product of his love ,also it puts Rokka in a situation where she sees the signs of Shimao in Hazuki and makes her wonder if that is just coincidental or perhaps it is a sign of her unwillingness to let him go(just so we are clear I think she did know it was Shimao all the time on some subconscious level). There is also the irony of it all which might be seen as a commentary on fairy tails,as man who suffered great sadness because he doesn't posses a body now suffers even bigger one that he posses one.
EDIT:I also heard from several people on the internet that in the original the dialogue is very poetic and that crunchyroll failed to translate it properly,I just hope if it ever gets released (and it wont)it gets good translation so people can appreciate it fully.

I think Bamboo is right in saying that Natsuyuki Rendezvous became messy in its second half. I wanted this series to be great, but the producers of the anime did not know how to execute it properly. And even if the original dialogue was more poetic, I don't think it would have made Natsuyuki Rendezvous better.

As far as a home release, I am assuming Sentai will release it sub only in DVD; a bilingual BD seems very unlikely.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

This is mostly true but you could argue that Taichi keeping the cutesy picture of Sawa for himself has to be a sign of something (remember he gave his friend the one he took secretly earlier). So my guess is yes Taichi is slowly falling for Sawa, but I don't think it'll go beyont that in the final episode.

Ok, and? It takes two to relationship.

That wasn't the point of my post, I was just saying that yes, Taichi is probably at least mildly interested in her now. spoiler[Sawa probably doesn't have a clue, which might lead to an interesting finale.

I'm totally expecting them to bond a bit more by the end of episode 13, though I doubt he'll downright confess to her.

He'll try some awkward pickup line like "I like the way you move..". She'll blush. The end. I'd be shocked if it goes beyond that, but I don't expect the writers to avoid the topic either.]

I would be shocked if they entirely avoid the topic, after leaving subtle hints since episode 5 that there was something blooming there. As Carl mentioned in his review of episodes 1-6, the show doesn't try to fool you, it telegraphs what it is doing for several episodes in advance. Starting at episode 5, there have been indications, first that Sawa might interested in Taichi, then that Taichi is also falling for her. spoiler[If you doubt the bit about episode 5, rewatch the scenes where Sawa talks to Taichi after he looses in the Nationals and pay close attention to her face right before the scene shifts to Konatsu and Taichi's sister. (around 6:30 on CR) The look on her face is very suggestive, but what really struck me were the eyes. Her pupils are huge! A physiological reaction when one looks at a person they are attracted to or emotionally attached to, is dilation of the pupils. The animators are likely to know this too. Here are a couple of pictures as examples:
Sawa when she is approaching Taichi in the hall and sees him with his head hanging:
]

spoiler[Sawa at the moment that I mentioned above:
]

spoiler[Here is the eyes in those pictures, side by side:
]

spoiler[The pupil in the left one (2nd picture above) is much larger than in the other one.

The animators of Tari Tari are too good to do something like this by chance. The same can be said for her body language in that scene. The way she is sitting, angled away from him, with her legs pressed together, hands on her thighs, and looking at him over one shoulder is practically taken right out of a "female courtship body language" guide. Are these types of things accurate, who knows, but if you are trying to subtly demonstrate that a girl is attracted to a guy, using these types of body language cues is a clear way to indicate it. When I saw it originally, the thought that went through my mind was, "She is teasing him and being coy. I wonder if this is a sign that she is falling for him?" The body language was a large part of it.]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I believe Space Brothers is meant to be at least 4 cours.

Yes, it's currently listed as 4 cours but at the pace it's going at, it'll need at least 8 (hence two 4-cour seasons) to get up to where the manga is currently at.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Tari Tari was so horrendously boring I dropped out at episode 3.

Aww, you missed the heartwarming and adorable ending to Wakana's arc.

For shame.

Was Wakana the girl who wanted to recruit everyone into her choir club because of something insignificant that happened to her years ago, to the detriment of her brother who had an actual need for the badminton club?

Because if so, the only satisfying ending to me would be her getting smacked in the face with an axe.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Was Wakana the girl who wanted to recruit everyone into her choir club because of something insignificant that happened to her years ago, to the detriment of her brother who had an actual need for the badminton club?

What the f*ck did I just read?

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Because if so, the only satisfying ending to me would be her getting smacked in the face with an axe.

It's not so.

No wonder you dropped the show. You didn't bother to pay attention so you didn't understand anything so you found it to be boring and you hated the characters whom you have thoroughly mixed up. Nice going.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

What the f*ck did I just read?

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

It's not so.

No wonder you dropped the show. You didn't bother to pay attention so you didn't understand anything so you found it to be boring and you hated the characters whom you have thoroughly mixed up. Nice going.

You expect me to completely accurately remember characters from something I haven't seen or cared about in weeks?

All I remember was they needed 5 members for a club, the people whatever the hell the girl's name was who she made join her chorus club quit the first chance they got. And her brother or whoever the hell wanted their to be a badminton club, because he wanted to play badminton professionally.

Either way, when I was watching, it was still dreadfully boring.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
You expect me to completely accurately remember characters from something I haven't seen or cared about in weeks?

I expect you to at least get the basics right, basics which can easily be found on MAL and Wikipedia.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
All I remember was they needed 5 members for a club...

This is actually correct. Shocking.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
...the people whatever the hell the girl's name was who she made join her chorus club quit the first chance they got.

Which girl are you talking about?

The determined girl who formed the club was Konatsu, she of the small build and caramel-coloured hair. She had made a fool out of herself, made her choir look bad and had been quietly ostracised for it for months. It wasn't "insignificant" as you put it.

The girl who is good at music but didn't want to join is Wakana, who had a really touching end to her arc.

The third girl with the great body and a penchant for horses and archery is Sawa.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
And her brother or whoever the hell wanted their to be a badminton club, because he wanted to play badminton professionally.

Konatsu's younger brother is Makoto, he's the guy whom she blackmailed to join the club. He is on the student council and has no interest in playing badminton. You are getting him confused with Taichi, the handsome and level-headed boy who is the only member of the badminton club. Taichi is also one of the five main characters. Please do not get him confused with Wien, who is the clueless returnee from Austria and also a main character.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Either way, when I was watching, it was still dreadfully boring.

Maybe to you it was boring. For myself, Tari Tari was a worthwhile watch that I enjoyed and would recommend. It's just a really solid series, the best P.A. Works has ever made. It doesn't try and reinvent the wheel. But while its story and character elements are simple and unimpressive on their own, the show gets great mileage out of them by dint of good execution.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
crazy shipper stuff here

Jesus christ.

Shipping's great, I love shipping. Shipping is one of the most fun parts of watching anime, but goddamn.

TARI TARI IS THE LEAST ROMANTIC ANIME I HAVE SEEN IN AGES.

I could go through and point out numerous times Sawa does those exact same expressions to both Wakana and Konatsu. Thats just how she is!

If you like Sawa/Taichi, great. Not a problem, but its exactly as likely to happen as Sawa/Wakana, and either would demonstrate a massive writing failure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Tari Tari simply did not connect with me and I'm a big fan of P.A. Works. It has a weird structure. You start of thinking it's going to be about a musical group trying to accomplish a specific goal and then it becomes clear that, no, it's actually about five kids with specific problems and the music thing kinda just hands in the background. Which would be fine if I cared about the kids at all, which I didn't. That's when I dropped the show ... after making it to the point where Jockey Girl is having problems with her Dad I just realized: I don't give a flying eff how this turns out. The only character I sort of dug was the chick who started the group in the first place but I just couldn't maintain any interest in sticking around until her arc.
mad mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tari Tari simply did not connect with me and I'm a big fan of P.A. Works. It has a weird structure. You start of thinking it's going to be about a musical group trying to accomplish a specific goal and then it becomes clear that, no, it's actually about five kids with specific problems and the music thing kinda just hands in the background. Which would be fine if I cared about the kids at all, which I didn't. That's when I dropped the show ... after making it to the point where Jockey Girl is having problems with her Dad I just realized: I don't give a flying eff how this turns out. The only character I sort of dug was the chick who started the group in the first place but I just couldn't maintain any interest in sticking around until her arc.

This is exactly how I felt about it too. If it wasn't for the music hook I don't think I'd have even lasted five episodes before dropping it.

For the record, I liked Humanity has Declined a lot. It's the only new show I managed to get through this season. I dropped Natsuyuki Rendezvous after episode 5. Seeing everyone else's reaction, I think I made the right choice.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

It's the implied sex. Probably.

Implied nothing. The author wrote the damn sex scene, though it was axed from the version that actually got published (but only just recently was taken off the author's blog).

Sample dialog:

"Two years worth of semen made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly into Asuna."

Yes, I'm serious.

GLOP GLOP GLOP

Ah! Whatever happened to the waifu-pandering aspect! Ha!
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Since we're approaching the end of this season, I want to bring up an idea. Seeing as Space Brothers is apparently continuing for another cour or two and Hunter x Hunter will be who-knows-how-long, might it be a good idea to take these off the column (and anything in the future that lasts more than 2 cours)? I don't know about others, but I'm not really interested in seeing these keep their same general positions for another half a year or more, especially if Space Brothers can consistently stay at the top. Furthermore, users who visit this column to help decide what to pick up probably aren't going to be interested in picking up a show that already has 30+ episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Uh, but Red Fox of Fire, it would certainly be helpful to people to know if certain long-running shows are consistently good. They don't want to pick up a long-running show only to find out first hand that it bombs forty episodes through.

You sound like one of those people who complained that Chihayafuru was #1 for too long. If Space Brothers is consistently watchable then that should be a good thing, not something to gripe about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12