• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation.com Streams 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Comparing this situation to the One Piece situation is like comparing apples to oranges.

I hope that wasn't pointed at me, since nowhere in that post did I compare the FMA:B 09 leak to the One Piece leak. I was only implying that because Funi's security could still use some work even with the recent improvements, adding One Piece back wouldn't be a smart move.

Tofusensei wrote:
...Funi Phantom 10 is out in the wild...

There you go LagannImpact, something more similar to the One Piece situation.

Last edited by cyberbeing on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The FMA 09 torrent is also confirmed to be the legit FUNimation version that has not been released to the public yet.

Man, this whole fiasco is extremely facepalm-worthy. Instead of trusting that RTMP would solve their problems (and spend lots of money on it), with their original system they still could have simply chmodded the files to not have public read permission until they are officially released and no leaking would have ever been able to happen like it has happened now!

Last edited by Daizo on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
We've believe the FMA "leak" is a troll. Did a good job faking the logos and font, but there were several things about it that were dead give-aways. Where you're getting this "confirmation" from is anybody's guess.

Last edited by jsevakis on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
Comparing this situation to the One Piece situation is like comparing apples to oranges.

I hope that wasn't pointed at me, since nowhere in that post did I compare this situation to One Piece.

Tofusensei wrote:
...Funi Phantom 10 is out in the wild...

There you go LagannImpact, something more similar to the One Piece situation.

By using the word "Leak" to describe the phenomenon of FMA:B being "available" in fansubs, the comparison to the "Leak" of OP was implied.

And yes, sadly, I would have to say Tofu is mentioning the same thing, but there might not be any contractual implications with that situation unlike the Toei situation...but WAIT...is it able to be downloaded through FUNi now???

I used to watch FMA:B at 10 a.m. on Thursdays, which is quite a bit before noon. How is THAT any different? Does that mean because I watched the episode LEGALLY 2 hours early, it leaked? HELL NO! Laughing

But which would you rather do, gripe about the lack of security or just enjoy that it's back? I'm just lovin that I get to catch it tomorrow...and so do all of YOU! Very Happy

Last edited by LagannImpact on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
We've confirmed the FMA "leak" as a troll. Did a good job faking the logos and font, but there were several things about it that were dead give-aways.

I had a hunch I was trolled.

Justin, how do you explain the Phantom one? It's definitely episode 10 and it hasn't aired in Japan yet.

edit: I may have not been trolled after all from what people posted below.

Last edited by Tofusensei on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Nevermind

Last edited by cyberbeing on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
souleater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
I'm trying to avoid this thread, but...

Funi Phantom 10 is out in the wild. It doesn't air in Japan for another 19 hours. It's been confirmed as legit. Apparently it was up on the Funi site at one point, though it's erroring now.

The security still needs improvement, guys, both best practices and technical. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I seriously doubt that Funimation has the technical skills to secure their site for this kind of stuff. They're probably just going to have to outsource it to somebody else. Face it, it's just not easy to do simulcasts reliably and securely online, which is probably why so few people do it.
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
No, this is just a real screwup. Both FMA 9 and Phantom 10 are showing as "live" on their server without any tricks. Just go to the FMA page or Phantom page. The videos will error though.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've confirmed the FMA "leak" as a troll.

Really? What about the fact that you could download FMA 09 directly from FUNimation's servers a couple hours ago? I did do some tests myself regarding how easy it would be to circumvent FUNimation's "additional security" and managed to download episode 08 of FMA after a couple minutes of thinking. After someone pointed out 09 was already available on their servers I decided to test it myself and surprise surprise, I could download FMA 09 directly from FUNimation's streaming server. I don't know whether the torrent that was posted is completely legit or not, but the fact is that FMA 09 existed on FUNimation's servers available for download. It seems to be gone / unavailable now, though, so I guess FUNimation noticed the situation. Hopefully they'll realize that blindly trusting RTMP as the only security is not a very good idea.

EDIT: Apparently FMA 09 has been released for real on the site now too? 09 plays fine on FUNi's site for me. Phantom 10 gives ERROR though.

EDIT2: And apparently FUNi finally wised up by adding random letters to the end of their file names to make them unguessable, judging from the filename of FMA 09. This wasn't the situation a couple hours ago, though.

EDIT3: I still don't get what would be so hard about simple chmodding, though. It's easy, fast, completely free and would have prevented every single leak so far.

Last edited by Daizo on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
No, this is just a real screwup. Both FMA 9 and Phantom 10 are showing as "live" on their server without any tricks. Just go to the FMA page or Phantom page. The videos will error though.

Jesus.

As someone just mentioned Funimation definatly needs to outsource this to a professional people who can handle this.
dan888

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If the leaks are real, there is truly no excuse for these continuing leaks. The victim card wasn't well received last time, and there is no way in hell it will be received well this time if they try to use it again.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

EDIT3: I still don't get what would be so hard about simple chmodding, though. It's easy, fast, completely free and would have prevented every single leak so far.

It would at most probably make it so that the leak takes thirty minutes to come out.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It would at most probably make it so that the leak takes thirty minutes to come out.

Except no, all the "leaks" so far have been based on the fact that all the files that FUNimation has uploaded have predictable filenames and are completely publicly accessible. Disabling the latter one would have turned the situation into something that would require real hacking in order for anyone not from FUNimation to get their hands on the files, which most people wouldn't bother to do, as the only reason the episodes have gotten redistributed so far is because the files are so damn easy to get.
dan888

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
You know, I fail to see what the problem would be with just keeping the files off the public server until the stream is suppose to go live
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Quote:

Except no, all the "leaks" so far have been based on the fact that all the files that FUNimation has uploaded have predictable filenames and are completely publicly accessible. Disabling the latter one would have turned the situation into something that would require real hacking in order for anyone not from FUNimation to get their hands on the files, which most people wouldn't bother to do, as the only reason the episodes have gotten redistributed so far is because the files are so damn easy to get.

oh please, you don't think people would hack this website to get the files?

Your clearly under this mistaken belief that these people who upload files are just fans who want to spread the anime, their not, its been made clear that these people hate streaming videos as they are a threat to them. By getting these videos they cause the Japanese companies to not want to make these deals. See Toei pulling the right to stream One Piece.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5