• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation.com Streams 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
souleater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
You know, I fail to see what the problem would be with just keeping the files off the public server until the stream is suppose to go live

Technically Funi is not allowed to distribute the videos outside of US/CA, right? Anybody can hit those URLs
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
morefunthanlaw wrote:
What leads you to believe it leaked from FUNimation? I can assure you, it did not.

I hate to break it to you, but it looks like you were mistaken.

I can post an image comparison for every single line if you want, though I don't think I have to.

Left is Funi, Right is the leaked version.

I hope this is the last time this happens.

Edit: put the images in the proper order. it was bothering me ^^;

Last edited by Tofusensei on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
You know, I fail to see what the problem would be with just keeping the files off the public server until the stream is suppose to go live

Yes, that's one of the actually secure options as well, and also belongs to the "easy as pie"-category of solutions along with many others that FUNimation for some reason really seems to avoid.

EDIT:

Quote:
oh please, you don't think people would hack this website to get the files?

Yes. Downloading public files and dumping RTMP streams are very small and easy things compared to actually breaking into a server. Has CrunchyRoll's streams ever got leaked before their airing? No, they haven't. The files surely exist on their servers before the episodes go live, though. Considering we're dealing with the same people who have ripped CR's streams after they have been released, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that if they haven't hacked their way into CR's servers, they won't hack into FUNi's servers either.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Yep, looks like I spoke too soon. Yikes.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
It's weird that it is up on the site right now.

They said they weren't putting it up until the usual time. o_O
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
it's obviously a mistake

My perdiction is that Aniplex cancels the streaming of Fullmetal Alchemist by next week.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Will certainly be interesting to see how FUNi respond to this.
They have clearly done little to revamp the security.
The only difference seems to be trying to mix up the files names.
Much like someone stated, now that FUNi are trying to enter the streaming market, perhaps they would be better off out-sourcing to a company that has much more experience in this field?
They've already made the headlines with leaks for One Piece and Phantom. That's not going to do their image much good for future streaming deals...
rangerx75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
morefunthanlaw wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
Funimation's Episode 9 just leaked to bit torrent 2 days early. I think they've still got issues to sort out.
Two days early? This episode already aired in Japan and the torrents followed promptly.

What leads you to believe it leaked from FUNimation? I can assure you, it did not.

... did you change your mind yet mr more fun than law?

jsevakis wrote:
We've believe the FMA "leak" is a troll. Did a good job faking the logos and font, but there were several things about it that were dead give-aways. Where you're getting this "confirmation" from is anybody's guess.

was this 'damage control' or did you really find "dead giveaways" ?

This is very much egg on funimation's face. Hopefully they do it right this time.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
No, we thought it was a troll because the file type and compression are not what Funimation uses (and MKV can't be streamed with Flash). Didn't think people would transcode it, since it degrades the quality, but looks like they did anyway.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone's worried about Phantom since 10 is the last episode. It's just not on the same level as One Piece or FMA. I did find FMA:B episode 9 up but not Phantom 10, which I believe is scheduled for tomorrow.

It's also possible to add a watermark to any video, so faking one isn't that difficult. Fansubbers have already proven they can mimic fonts so mimicing Funimation's logo isn't that difficult. So it is possible that the leak was a fake created from a legitimate RAW.

A fansubber would have every reason to want to do it since if the legitimate streaming is shut down they feel more justified in fansubbing. Legal streams threaten fansubbers because they can no longer justify their actions.

I don't see Funimation being forced to drop all it's streaming videos, but they may be restricted from simultaneous airings.
Plorkyeran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
No, we thought it was a troll because the file type and compression are not what Funimation uses (and MKV can't be streamed with Flash). Didn't think people would transcode it, since it degrades the quality, but looks like they did anyway.

Remuxing to MKV takes under a minute and is a lossless process.

writerpatrick wrote:
It's also possible to add a watermark to any video, so faking one isn't that difficult. Fansubbers have already proven they can mimic fonts so mimicing Funimation's logo isn't that difficult. So it is possible that the leak was a fake created from a legitimate RAW.

Phantom 10 hasn't aired yet.
DrX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I don't think anyone's worried about Phantom since 10 is the last episode.

Phantom is slated for 26 episodes.

http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/1571

also: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10541&page=25
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
it's obviously a mistake

My perdiction is that Aniplex cancels the streaming of Fullmetal Alchemist by next week.

Let's hope not. I mean, it's not like they were shown here before they were supposed to be shown in JAPAN, like the One Piece situation. I don't really think Aniplex is THAT unforgiving of whether it happens 2 days or 5 days in advance of the Japanese airing. At least, if they WERE to go postal on all the fansub groups out there that get it to us early, it would never see the light of day!

They oughta go with randomly-generated 20-character strings for filenames of streaming videos that change every hour via 128-bit encryption. That will make the fansubbers who want to "take the Man down" sh*t their pants! Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
As much as this sucks for Funimation, I somehow find it heartening that this many fans are stepping forward with suggestions and alerts on security problems. Hopefully Funimation can put some into place so that we can get our FMA back. I'm okay with waiting for Hulu if I have to, but it was nice getting it only a few days behind the Japanese release (which is as long as any good fansubbing group would take to get out a release).
morefunthanlaw
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
morefunthanlaw wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but it looks like you were mistaken.
So it seems... I saw no record of it in the logs I reviewed and may have spoken too hastily. Would anyone care to share the link from which this was originally obtained? Wink

(not a torrent, but the link to our servers)

Thanks. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5