• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD 16

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I think you're the one who doesn't know what filler means. The Bleach manga is run at one chapter a week in Japan, and the average anime covers about 3 chapters a week, more or less. There are no tv seasons in Japan, so the show doesn't ever stop. It's going to catch up eventually. So when it gets too close the writers of the show add an extra story arc after one ends. The manga stays on course, and eventually they go back to it. The extra arc is considered filler.[/quote]

LMAO, Do a little research before you post. Bleach the "Manga" was canceled after the the 1st arc(The Subsitute*this arc did not include the rescue of Rukia) and was not picked up/restarted until the Bount arc was almost complete. The televison series brought a re-newed interest in the manga.

While yoiu are researching the history of Bleach(you can find a lot of articles here on ANN) look up the definition of "filler".

Basicly "filler" is to take up space. If you take it out it will not effect the final product w/the exeption of volume. You can't jump from Aizen betrayal to the intro to the Viscors w/out losing valuable charater development.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Arrowfoot wrote:
Bleach the "Manga" was canceled after the the 1st arc(The Subsitute*this arc did not include the rescue of Rukia) and was not picked up/restarted until the Bount arc was almost complete. The televison series brought a re-newed interest in the manga.

Um, no. Bleach was originally scheduled to be a "short-run" series to last about 5 years (well past the first arc), and the manga was so popular that it continued much longer. The manga was going strong when the Bount arc began; ask anyone (myself included) who was reading it at the time.

You may have hated the Soul Society arc, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to just make facts up.
Arrowfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Arrowfoot wrote:
Bleach the "Manga" was canceled after the the 1st arc(The Subsitute*this arc did not include the rescue of Rukia) and was not picked up/restarted until the Bount arc was almost complete. The televison series brought a re-newed interest in the manga.

Um, no. Bleach was originally scheduled to be a "short-run" series to last about 5 years (well past the first arc), and the manga was so popular that it continued much longer. The manga was going strong when the Bount arc began; ask anyone (myself included) who was reading it at the time.

You may have hated the Soul Society arc, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to just make facts up.

Not makeing up you can look up the article up here on ANN there are other articles & interviews w/the Bleach creator where he tells how the TV series revived the manga, heck a few of them use to be posted on the offical Bleach website(the one set up by the studio not the fans)
Faceman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Arrowfoot wrote:
LMAO, Do a little research before you post. Bleach the "Manga" was canceled after the the 1st arc(The Subsitute*this arc did not include the rescue of Rukia) and was not picked up/restarted until the Bount arc was almost complete. The televison series brought a re-newed interest in the manga.

While yoiu are researching the history of Bleach(you can find a lot of articles here on ANN) look up the definition of "filler".

Basicly "filler" is to take up space. If you take it out it will not effect the final product w/the exeption of volume. You can't jump from Aizen betrayal to the intro to the Viscors w/out losing valuable charater development.

The whole Rescue Rukia arc starts in volume 7 of the manga, around chapter 52. Volume 7 was released in Japan in December 2002. The very first episode of the Bleach anime didn't even air in Japan until October 2004, almost 2 years after the Rescue Rukia arc started. I researched the history of Bleach on ANN, specifically these two pages:
Tankoban release date: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=2468&page=28
Anime release date: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4240&page=25
Tankoban summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bleach_chapters

The bount arc starts on episode 64, which on the 2nd link even says "This episode starts the first filler arc." That first aired on Jan 17th, 2006. By then the manga was already releasing Volume 25 in Japan, and was already well into the whole Arrancar arc. Nevermind the compiled volumes are released a few months after the individual chapters appear in Shonen Jump. The bount arc is filler.

So learn to check something called "facts" before you start spouting nonsense.
Faceman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Arrowfoot wrote:
Not makeing up you can look up the article up here on ANN there are other articles & interviews w/the Bleach creator where he tells how the TV series revived the manga, heck a few of them use to be posted on the offical Bleach website(the one set up by the studio not the fans)

Out of all the ANN articles about Tite Kubo (all listed here: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=15428&page=-5) only one mentioned an interview. And that Interview was by the LA Times and is here: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/28/entertainment/etw-kuboweb28 .

In the interview it mentions he thought it'd go for 5 years, but is surprised by 8 years already. There's no mentioning about the manga being canceled, the anime saving it, etc.

Again, if you're going to start spouting stuff off and say you have sources, then link the actual sources to prove it, or shut up.
Arrowfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the ANN articles about Tite Kubo (all listed here: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=15428&page=-5) only one mentioned an interview. And that Interview was by the LA Times and is here: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/28/entertainment/etw-kuboweb28 .

In the interview it mentions he thought it'd go for 5 years, but is surprised by 8 years already. There's no mentioning about the manga being canceled, the anime saving it, etc.

Again, if you're going to start spouting stuff off and say you have sources, then link the actual sources to prove it, or shut up.[/quote]

Right now I am at work and I can not spare the time to do the search to find, but I shall try when I get home tonight. I tried to bring up the LA Times article but for some reason the link wouldn't work on this computer.

Oh and try to search under Bleach articles or Tv Tokeo and not just under Tite Kubo. It is a old skiptracer trick for finding information by aproching it sideays instead of directly. I believe it was a late `06 early `07 article I think I did find it by looking up Bleach I was searching for information on Memories of Nobody when I tripped over the article.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Stephanie Sheh's Orihime is a treat no matter how lame her dialogue
damn straight Stephanie Sheh's awesome at everything she does, I havn't heard one performance of her's that wasn't stellar, whether it be Orihime, Hinata, Kaguya, Akira etc etc...

Nice to know even though its filler Music doesn't suffer. The only thing to get an A.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Arrowfoot, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think the Bount Arc is totally filler. Yes, there are those three Mod Souls that are still around, and there's one or two mentions of what happened in the Bount Arc later on, but they're mostly throw away. None of the characters developed power-wise or, really, relationship-wise. That is: there was no plot or character development from the Bount Arc.

So, yes, I think you can quite easily skip from the end of the Rescue arc to the Arroncar Arc and miss nothing of importance. Honestly, I think you're grasping at straws in your attempts to say this isn't so, but obviously you're welcome to your opinion.
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't pay heed to this Arrowfoot guy, fellows. He's obviously a troll. No one in their right mind could consider the Bount arc anything but filler, & the other stuff he's saying is pretty ridiculous too. He's not an idiot, he's just making stuff up to mess with people.

Anyway, the Bount filler gets better as it goes on. Each "sub-arc," if you would, gets better than the last. & it's certainly better than the 100 Naruto filler eps that were airing before Shippuden began.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yes, there are those three Mod Souls that are still around, and there's one or two mentions of what happened in the Bount Arc later on, but they're mostly throw away.

That is one thing I liked about it, though - that they didn't just act as though it never happened (see: Naruto's long run of filler). True, it didn't really develop the characters or the plot, but the writers still refer back to it when the story calls for it, so that the continuity stays firm; in other words, if a situation echoes something they covered in the Bount Arc, they mention it instead of pretending the characters wouldn't be thinking about it.

And as someone who rather liked the mod soul characters, I did get a kick out of them hanging around. Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yes, there are those three Mod Souls that are still around, and there's one or two mentions of what happened in the Bount Arc later on, but they're mostly throw away.

That is one thing I liked about it, though - that they didn't just act as though it never happened (see: Naruto's long run of filler). True, it didn't really develop the characters or the plot, but the writers still refer back to it when the story calls for it, so that the continuity stays firm; in other words, if a situation echoes something they covered in the Bount Arc, they mention it instead of pretending the characters wouldn't be thinking about it.

And as someone who rather liked the mod soul characters, I did get a kick out of them hanging around. Laughing

The mod souls had their moments of being amusing, but they were annoying more often than not and I found their inclusion in the canon material to be a negative. Sadly, there are canon characters introduced later on that are far more obnoxious than the mod souls.

Overall, the Bount Arc isn't bad, but it was dragged out far longer than it should have and the arc ended just when it started to be good again. It would have benefited from taking out 10 episodes or so from the middle.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The mod souls had their moments of being amusing, but they were annoying more often than not and I found their inclusion in the canon material to be a negative. Sadly, there are canon characters introduced later on that are far more obnoxious than the mod souls.

Overall, the Bount Arc isn't bad, but it was dragged out far longer than it should have and the arc ended just when it started to be good again. It would have benefited from taking out 10 episodes or so from the middle.

Speaking of canon and dragged out... the most recent stuff in the manga makes the Bount arc look condensed and concise. Kubo Tite: Get on with it!

Btw, notice how Arrowfoot never came back from his "sideay search" to provide us with evidence of how the Soul Society arc was the real filler?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which accounts for the one-quarter of indifference. The one-quarter of badness comes from director Noriyuki Abe's, shall we say, borrowing. These four episodes are obviously meant to provide a somewhat more cerebral alternative to the series' usual slash 'n bash action, which is worthy ambition. Unfortunately in order to do so Abe steals so brazenly from his own animated adaptation of Yu Yu Hakusho (with a dash of Die Hard With a Vengeance thrown in) that this volume sets off plagiarism alarms from start to finish. Bleach was never a work of scalding originality, and likely never will be, but prior to entering Filler Land, it at least had the sense not to lift its plots wholesale from other sources.

Interesting. I noticed that too, in fact I think I brought it up on the forums when the episodes ran on AS. But my reaction wasn't negative like yours. I saw it as a kind of shout-out to the show's spiritual predecessor- it's pretty clear Tite Kubo has been influenced by YYH since the beginning.

Mind you, this may be a personal thing- I've read and viewed enough that lack of originality in a work doesn't phase me much anymore. I consider it less important that the work goes in a new direction than that it goes in the direction that's best for the story.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll jump in on the side of Bount Arc not being that bad, and not being much of filler. Some characters do continue on into the arcs after the Bount Arc, which at least means the Bount Arc is part of anime canon. Maybe it's best just to divide Bleach into manga canon and anime canon. The anime canon has much of the manga canon, but does have canon of its own(maybe a bit like the first FMA series, but to a much lesser degree).

I thought the Soul Society arc dragged on for way too long too, so the Bount Arc was a slightly faster paced relief for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'll jump in on the side of Bount Arc not being that bad, and not being much of filler. Some characters do continue on into the arcs after the Bount Arc, which at least means the Bount Arc is part of anime canon. Maybe it's best just to divide Bleach into manga canon and anime canon. The anime canon has much of the manga canon, but does have canon of its own(maybe a bit like the first FMA series, but to a much lesser degree).

I thought the Soul Society arc dragged on for way too long too, so the Bount Arc was a slightly faster paced relief for me.

Well said,RougeJedi86.You seem to understand what I'm trying to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3